TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

American Thinker: Would You Buy an Electric Car?

Discussion in 'News' started by dpeilow, Apr 7, 2009.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

2. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

I don't see the problem. He does point to the fact that there are differences between an ICE and a BEV. The main one being the BEV has better milage in stop and go while the ICEs milage improves in highway driving. As someone mentioned somewhere else here, that is a different way of thinking and the important point is that it's when you are driving a longer trip and then usually on a highway that you need a long maximum range. In city driving it usually doesn't matter.

Except for that, it's basically a showcase for the writers lack of technical understanding of how a modern BEV work. This from a conservative right-wing blog, not really newsworthy :)

Cobos

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

American Thinker: Would You Buy an Electric Car?

[FONT=times new roman,times]
    Is that accurate? As far as I know there were no reports that he "visited" them... Just that some saw his motorcade drive past their LA store.

[/FONT]

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I would think if the President of the United States stopped at the Tesla store Tesla would have mentioned it. If the President of the United states stopped anywhere it would have been on the news. His published schedule that day did not list a Tesla stop.
    Define performance.
    and
    The author clearly does not know what the word "thrashing" means. Even if I did not know anything about cars I would know from other sports what "thrashing" means.

I alway make sure I say EPA when I talk about range. Not only does it give third party (and government) credibility to the 244 mile range number but it is and will be very important when comparing apples to apples. Right now there is no other electric car to compare it to. As we know from the Top Gear distance numbers games, that "thrashing" any car severely affects mileage.
    That's what EPA tests are for.
    Wow. How conspiratorial.

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

After reading the comments I realized how while the article was supposed to be bashing electric cars like they would one of Martin's described punishment cars (Dorkmobiles). Unfortunately for the author, the car had enough going for it that the conclusion was weak.

The commenters were pretty normal and in fact there were several pro hot sports car posts. It looks like the articles in Robb Report, Fortune, and Vanity Fair have laid good groundwork for making the car an OK option for the rich.

6. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I don't know, reading the most recent comments it seems fairly anti-EV. You have all the anti-EV comments coming up: slow to charge, tin can 2 seater for $109k, will run electricity bill up (costs more than gasoline on a mileage basis), grid can't handle it (brownouts/blackouts) etc. So many factual inaccuracies I don't even want to deal with it, it's obvious all of these people are pulling figures and arguments out of their butts.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I agree, the lions circled before leaping on the doe.

Now American Thinker is backing up their logic.
    American Thinker Blog: In Defense of the Electric Vehicle

Author:
    PS
    I really liked the "Microwave to cook a Turkey" analogy.

8. EVnut

EVnut Darell, the EVnut

I have commented a few times on the newer article. These guys are very upset that there is a Republican talking up a liberalmobile! Eeek.

The ignorance is astonishing. The talk of $800 electric bills. Of how gasoline is plenty clean. How all ectricity production pollutes. and on and on. I want my transportation to be cheap, easy, and exactly like it is now. CHANGE IS THE ENEMY! And since pollution from oil doesn't really exist, we have no worries.

9. bobw

bobw Tesla Reader

The signal to noise ration in any political blog is pretty low. It gets lower proportional to the number of comments. This is before the trolls start in.