Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amount of pressure on acceleration pedal to maintain speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I was thinking about this post while driving today, and I just couldn't agree with the "hard pedal". My best guess is that your current vehicle has a really "light" feeling pedal.

No doubt you'll get used to the pedal feel after a day or two of driving.
Likewise.

Maybe OP can try different foot position to gain more leverage on the pedal. I felt the firmness was great as I could actively rest my foot without depressing further.

Reactions: father_of_6
Unfortunately, we only have Chill and Standard for the MYLR.
Ahh, I keep losing track of which cars have which accelerator maps. Seems 3 and Y never get Standard and Sport at the same time, it's one or the other. :-(

For what it's worth I don't like the Sport map, it's too jumpy/sensitive to me, I only use a tiny portion of its pedal travel in normal driving, but it sounds like exactly what the OP wants.

Test drove a MY LR yesterday and couldn't believe how much constant pressure needs to be applied on the accelerator pedal. I am having serious doubts my wife, (with much weaker legs and feet) could ever drive it, even a short distance, without pain. There is no current adjustable Regen settings in the Y's firmware. We had the car set in Chill mode vs. Standard. Tested it in both Hold mode for stopping and Creep mode. There seemed to be no decrease in pedal force application. Did not try Roll mode. It is the acceleration and maintaining the speed that concerns me. I will get used to this, but for her -- I am seeking advice on what to do, if anything, to help her drive the car without pain.

I think you are overthinking this. You will easily get used to the pedal and she will too. I have very limited movement in my right foot due to nerve damage many years ago. I have never noticed anything unusual about the pedal presure. I find it easy to drive.

Is setting the car to AP in heavy traffic even advisable? She would still have to moderate the accelerator pedal for local slower traffic, no? Or am I wrong?

AP works fine in heavy traffic, fast traffic, slow traffic, and stop & go traffic.

You'll enjoy the car and so will your wife!

Reactions: father_of_6
Met with another SA since my usual SA was on a day off. We will be sceduling another test drive sometime in the near future to help sort this out and will definately try EAP this time around to see what that's like on very local roads. The downside might be that it could move the car to a far side of a two-lane small road where there is little to no markings and that would probably freak her out. Or it might work marvelously. Dunno. We will also check to see if the car is set to a speed limitation, which only might affect the pedal pressure. And Standard mode. I'm not going to pay for higher acceleration modes. Also will try "Roll," which wasn't selected last time (I will always use "Hold"). I will get used to pedal no matter what. She might not. That's what we need to find out. Worst case scenerio is that I'll be doing most/all the driving on driving vacations. Could be worse.

Met with another SA since my usual SA was on a day off. We will be sceduling another test drive sometime in the near future to help sort this out and will definately try EAP this time around to see what that's like on very local roads. The downside might be that it could move the car to a far side of a two-lane small road where there is little to no markings and that would probably freak her out. Or it might work marvelously. Dunno. We will also check to see if the car is set to a speed limitation, which only might affect the pedal pressure. And Standard mode. I'm not going to pay for higher acceleration modes. Also will try "Roll," which wasn't selected last time (I will always use "Hold"). I will get used to pedal no matter what. She might not. That's what we need to find out. Worst case scenerio is that I'll be doing most/all the driving on driving vacations. Could be worse.
Just a word to be careful using AP on local roads. It's not really designed for that. If pedal pressure on the highway is what concerns you, head to the highway and try it there.

Reactions: tm1v2 and AlexHung
Also will try "Roll," which wasn't selected last time (I will always use "Hold"). I will get used to pedal no matter what. She might not. That's what we need to find out. Worst case scenerio is that I'll be doing most/all the driving on driving vacations. Could be worse.
Roll mode behaves like the car is in neutral and obeys gravity. I believe it will roll backwards on a hill if your foot is not on the brake.

It seems to be similar to holding in the clutch of a manual transmission. No sure why anyone would use this mode. Maybe I'm missing something ....

Last edited:
Roll mode behaves like the car is in neutral and obeys gravity. I believe it will roll backwards on a hill if your foot is not on the brake.

It seems to be similar to holding in the clutch of a manual transmission. No sure why anyone would use this mode. Maybe I'm missing something ....
My wife uses “roll” mode because it is the closest mode resembles ICE car. Would she eventually switch to “hold”? May be. Or not.

Reactions: Bikeman
Is setting the car to AP in heavy traffic even advisable?
I think utilizing autopilot is ideal ESPECIALLY in heavy traffic. On smaller, open roads is where you might have trouble, as it could make you run a light or stop sign. Instances like these just require you pay closer attention, which you should already be doing regardless of your setting. People like to say autopilot is only designed for highway driving, but that's a gross generalization and inaccurate in practical use.

I just don't want to be uncomfortable having to force a pedal for prolonged period of time. During MY test drive I felt it in the hamstring ...
... if Standard/Sport alleviate having to push the hamstring to do too much work, then that would be good.
I think this guy just needs to hit the gym!

... will definately try EAP this time around to see what that's like on very local roads.
To my knowledge, EAP is no longer available in the USA.

• Informative
Reactions: Bikeman
I've had my MY since early Feb 2022. My observations:
  1. There is no coasting. This is the biggest thing you have unlearn from ICE car.
  2. The way you simulate "coasting" is to very gently let up on the pedal. You'll notice the green bar, which indicates regen.
  3. If you want to drive smoothly, make small subtle movements with the pedal.
  4. It took a few days for me to totally master it and now I drive very smooth, even smoother than my ICE car because there is no transmission jerk.
  5. "Hold" mode is the best. I almost never have to touch the brake pedal, except if I need to stop faster than the regen is doing it. This is pretty rare.
  6. If you switch back and forth between an ICE car and EV, if you have a hard time adapting, "creep" mode might help. It feels more like an ICE car at speeds <3 mph.

A recent Bjorn Nyland YouTube video demonstrates various regen percentages using the S3XY buttons accessory set. One feature, among many, one can choose regen rates from 100%, 75, 50, 25, or no regen at all after letting off the accelerator pedal (coasting). I'm just mentioning this since it is generally understood that Teslas will only regen at 100% when slowing - which they do - but that wasn't always true. The S3XY accessory kit brings back the various regen rates or does other basic requests without using the dash screen.

I will be fine using Hold. My wife might not. We'll see after the car is available to us next year.