Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ampol AmpCharge network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems to be where the market is converging right now, at least for charging over 50kW.
Albeit a problem for Ampol,
Because for 90% of cars unless arriving at a very low SOC and hot battery you won't be seeing over 50kW.

Equally we haven't seen any pricing differentials between peak and off-peak power usage for DC chargers (unlike say the Waverley, Randwick, Woollahra AC network).

The only exception to your rule is probably Tasmania where some of the more remote chargers have a premium.

In most networks and even retail (electricity, supermarkets, general retail) there is some form of cross-subsidy occuring from time to time.

Equally we haven't seen any pricing differentials between peak and off-peak power usage for DC chargers (unlike say the Waverley, Randwick, Woollahra AC network). The only exception to your rule is probably Tasmania where some of the more remote chargers have a premium.

I would be totally OK with variable time-of-day and location pricing. For a business to be sustainable, the amount it charges customers has to reflect its input costs.

When DCFCs are commoditised, and there are 100,000 across Australia and not fewer than 1000, scope for cross-subsidisation and common pricing will be a lot better.

I'm not surprised. I don't know who would pay 60c/kWh for 84kW charging but I wouldn't.

You’d be charging at that rate (and less) once the battery reaches about 55% in a Model 3 LR. So you are paying 60c/kWh for 84 kW charging already (Superchargers are now 68c/kWh), unless you never charge above 55%.

You’d be charging at that rate (and less) once the battery reaches about 55% in a Model 3 LR. So you are paying 60c/kWh for 84 kW charging already (Superchargers are now 68c/kWh), unless you never charge above 55%.

For reference I have a 2022 M3 RWD with LFP 60kW pack -

Looking at my Tessie app recent records of SC with the most recent at Goulburn Chargefox 350, the car achieved 76kW charge speed at exactly 76% SOC, it then started to ramp down as it got closer to the 80%. This charge session was from 46% with pre-conditioning.

When I used Northmead Ampcharge it was obviously a flat curve with speed @ 74kW from 46%-76% then it started to ramp down. Again, was a pre-conditioned battery.

So, at about 75% is the spot for a 60kW LFP equipped vehicle. Obviously the Northmead or Alexandria Ampcharge aren't really 'road trip' chargers so the extra time isn't as relevant but the cost to speed ratio could be for some.

Thornleigh Find an Application
C4113DDE-7323-42A8-AB63-7E1ED44560D0.jpeg

That is good for me getting a y and I’m sure it won’t make the odd Sydney return journey. I’m sure I’ll need a 10-15 min quick zap somewhere good to see. Don’t care for free.

I would love to see a 50kw charger in my town for the times you are caught short and the granny charger can’t charge the car enough for the next journey. I’m doubtful and I will be updating my power to 3 phase but that will be after getting the car.