Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ampol AmpCharge network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking that even 6 was too little for a major stopping point such as Pheasants Nest. Maybe install 6 with provisions for 18!
It will be good when there is Pheasants Nest, Sutton Forest and Goulburn all open. If people can see which ones are full, they can spread out a bit instead of waiting *

theory depends on state of charge and bladder

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok
63133C02-8BC8-4D51-AD19-576EECA42906.jpeg

Taken today at Carseldine, North Brisbane. The area is fenced off due to the decent hole in the ground and the signage on the opposite side to this photo refers to the constructor: Enerven. Clearly this is where the DC FC is being installed here at least. Just in the top of the frame they’ve got some scaff-fencing installed around the roof over the petrol pumps. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re installing Solar Panels while they’re at it.

View attachment 819084

For context, the Red highlighted area is the three car spots they’ve fenced off. The Red dotted area is Traffic Coned-off. And the Yellow highlighted area is the Scaffold-Fencing above.
That's a great location to have chargers. To those not familiar with Brisbane, this is basically near the last set of traffic lights before you hit the 100kph Bruce Highway heading north to the Sunshine Coast. They are going to need way more than 3 chargers in the next couple of years. It's an extremely busy petrol station.

Those specific spots will be awkward for Teslas. They'll either need exceedingly long cables, or Teslas will have to reverse in at horrible 'against traffic' angles.

Surely a better spot would have been around the far side of HJ towards the bakery where all the spaces are 90 degrees, with the possibility to expand to all 10 bays (looking at google maps) in the future with minimal fuss.

Those specific spots will be awkward for Teslas. They'll either need exceedingly long cables, or Teslas will have to reverse in at horrible 'against traffic' angles.

Surely a better spot would have been around the far side of HJ towards the bakery where all the spaces are 90 degrees, with the possibility to expand to all 10 bays (looking at google maps) in the future with minimal fuss.
Probably true, but from an owner mindset, Ampol most likely want it next to their Foodary, not HJs. Reverse angle parking into those spots, with almost all the traffic through there will be fun though…

Reverse angle parking into those spots, with almost all the traffic through there will be fun though…
You should not need to reverse into the rightmost bay with the Tesla charge port on the left. The other bay might be workable if they provide a super-extendy (pardon the technical term) cable... does not seem too likely though.

Polestar machines have a left rear charge port too I think.
The Mercedes EQC charge port is right-rear so should be good in the left bay.
A Nissan Leaf driver with charge port centre-front may damned either way.

It's a start. And one unit is better than none.

It counts as two parking bays, and the unit can supply electrons to two cars at once at 50+kW, so it meets the Arena funding criteria.
Practically however with so few CHAdeMO cars on the road it's mostly going to be one car at a time.
This space will get competitive quickly. I think quicker than most anticipate. I feel companies not taking this transition seriously will face a Kodak moment. They feel it will hurt their current business but in the end it will destroy them. If you have 1 stall it only take 1 car to be charging for you not be able to charge which means you skip this charger next time unless running on fumes.
I think the first mover advantage here is vital. The first company to create the network will have a multi year first mover advantage it will hard for others to catch up.
my 2 cents

Reactions: Big Earl
Polestar machines have a left rear charge port too I think.
The Mercedes EQC charge port is right-rear so should be good in the left bay.
A Nissan Leaf driver with charge port centre-front may damned either way.
Time to whip out this link!

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman and Vostok
Stopped on the way home today but didn't think taking a photo of the four guys pouring concrete was a good look. The hole that was there yesterday in the Southern-most spot has been filled, additional concrete has been cut and filled and conduits installed for cabling. Couldn't see any storage or wrapped boxes a DCFC could be hiding in, but it could be off-site. Will keep you posted.

Reactions: scully and Hairyman
Speaking to the AmpCharge system, they are really going after the fleet customer, as Caltex/Ampol has done for years. That is probably the thinking behind metro electric charge stations. Caltex/Ampol have had a 2-pronged approach to retaining customers,
1) Fleet cards.
2) Woolies 4 cent discount on shopper dockets/loyalty cards.

I would expect to see the metro sites near CBD/commercial areas, and near apartment precincts, to cater for residents that don't have access to home charge points. The Ampol charge points will not be limited to the servo's and businesses can install them on their customer parking bays. Another reason to shop at ABC rather than XYZ.

Interesting that they are considering placing a charge station at individuals' homes so they can charge the work vehicle.
They are also going after the corporate market by offering a range of workplace charging stations. This will allow the corporate customers to atomise and streamline energy costs, with one invoice payable per month. If I were to crystal ball this idea, I would imagine that Ampol will shortly become an electricity retailer like Origin, AGL etc.

From memory, many of the big oil companies changed their branding from an oil company to an energy company, a couple of years back. At about the same time, they started divesting themselves worldwide of the retail arm.

Somebody somewhere, high up, saw the writing on the wall. Obviously, Caltex/Ampol don't wish to be a Kodak moment in time!

from the Ampol web page.
  • Home Charging for Fleet
    • AmpCharge will offer home charging solutions, so your drivers and employees can charge their EVs at home
  • Commercial Charging
    • AmpCharge will be able to install and build charging bays, enabling convenient and fast charging services for your EV customers
  • Workplace Charging
    • Back to base – AmpCharge will be able to offer a range of fast chargers for your fleet ensuring your fleet drivers are always on the move
  • Ampol Card – Coming soon
    • Card management & portal
    • Employees receive an AmpolCard accessing retail offers
    • Access to AmpCharge’s public EV charging network