Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ampol AmpCharge network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Carseldine, Qld opened this afternoon
1659003619037.png

cable looks nice and long

I think it might have a bit missing- thought I saw a retractable thingy somewhere

The Tritium 75 kW units have long cables looped through a retractable tie at the top that keeps the cables off the ground. I used the one at Coolongatta recently, and needed to pull the plug to the other side of my car. The highly-tensioned retractable cord at the top let me do that. I thought it was quite neat.

Tesla didn't account for other cars having their charge ports in different locations, which means right now at certain superchargers in Europe you get Porsches etc parking across three supercharger bays in order to plug in.
The fact that we had the opportunity, with a brand-new technology, to agree on a common side at least to put the charging port and we as a species collectively managed to bugger it up so comprehensively is worth a fresh face palm every time I think about it.

Tesla didn't account for other cars having their charge ports in different locations, which means right now at certain superchargers in Europe you get Porsches etc parking across three supercharger bays in order to plug in.
I believe other cars will only be able to use SCs if there is 50% capacity. One car using 3 for 1 will muck this up. So, a facility with 6 SCs plus one Porsche and three Teslas would be full but show electronically as having two SCs free. Or 1 Porsche plus one Tesla would show as 33% utilised but effectively be at 66%. Could be very irksome indeed!

View attachment 833730
It needs to be. You cannot reverse into these bays in any pretty way. If your car needs to go in the other bay (e.g. Tesla) the CCS2 cable has to reach around the charger unit to the car. (The cable on the left is CHAdeMo). I do not know of one yet, but some manufacturer is bound to go old-school and put a charge port behind the number plate in the rear given that all the other possible locations are taken.

Reactions: unharmed
View attachment 833730
Hard to tell from the photo but I should be able to reverse the Y into this slot and drive out once finished charging, however many will struggle. Ok with the CHAdeMO not being used, you, if need be, can park in that slot. It seems strange that given the dominant brand is Tesla they have not catered for them. They really need to use those overhead arms you see in motor racing.

It seems strange that given the dominant brand is Tesla they have not catered for them.
They may also consider that most Tesla drivers will prioritise using superchargers most of the time, so they may be considering the mix of dominant brands not counting Tesla.
Still a bit ridiculous to have to take that into account when designing a site layout, as the mix of brands can change quickly.

Hard to tell from the photo but I should be able to reverse the Y into this slot and drive out once finished charging, however many will struggle. Ok with the CHAdeMO not being used, you, if need be, can park in that slot. It seems strange that given the dominant brand is Tesla they have not catered for them. They really need to use those overhead arms you see in motor racing.
So does this charger have 1 x CCS and 1 X CHAdeMO? I don't understand why they have a dedicated CHAdeMO parking space and not have 2 x CCS instead. Isn't it just old Nissan Leaf's which use this? like 1 percent of the EV fleet Seems like a waste.

So does this charger have 1 x CCS and 1 X CHAdeMO? I don't understand why they have a dedicated CHAdeMO parking space and not have 2 x CCS instead. Isn't it just old Nissan Leaf's which use this? like 1 percent of the EV fleet Seems like a waste.
I'm just going to copy and paste the same thing I said last time I had this discussion!

----

I've had this discussion multiple times over the last week! I think continuing Chademo support at this time is fine for many reasons.

* Not many new cars use Chademo, but some do, many existing cars do and almost all grey imported cars do.
* The Chademo cars are typically much cheaper. If the cheaper EVs are excluded, particularly at sites which receive grants, it could be seen as inequitable use of government funds.
* The Chademo cars typically have lower range, so their use of public charging may be higher.
* Later on, when we build out increased capacity, it will be done based on the usage of existing chargers, and this will prefer CCS2. This is already happening with the latest NSW and Queensland government infrastructure buildout, which do not require Chademo. Tesla superchargers, when opened up to all vehicles, will be another CCS2 only network.
* The Future Fuels grant sites that Ampol are installing are primarily urban - and they're one of many. There will be another fast charging station by another vendor 5 km down the road. If these sites are deemed an inadequate configuration, drivers can avoid them.
* Ampol and Evie are meeting the grant requirements in different ways. Evie has four connectors (two of each) but only maximum 50 kW per car. Chargefox/EHT will use Kempower hardware, which is different again. It's good to have each grant recipient using a different implementation. Future site operators can see what works best.
* Some of these Ampol sites are going to have two units (support four cars simultaneously) which is well above and beyond the grant requirement.
* Even if the existing Chademo cables need to be replaced with CCS2 in the future (not likely IMHO - the balance will be altered by growth of new CCS, not removal of old Chademo) - it's only $1200 to swap the cable over.

To use another EV metaphor, consider the Victorian EV tax. Most people think we will need a road user charge in future - but not now, it's way too early. Similarly, getting rid of Chademo connectors should obviously happen eventually, but at the moment, it's too early.