Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ampol AmpCharge network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been wondering about that looking at the various check-ins around the place. Seems to be happening with Evie sites as well.

It's winter and people keep rocking up to chargers without doing any preconditioning. Definitely an area people need more education in.

There's a new Evie 350 site near me, I've used it once or twice from very low SoC after a long drive and seen peaks well over 100kW. And most checkins are the same.

And yet there's a few people I see keep checking in and complaining about broken, slow charging (like 20-30kW). I'm convinced they live right near it and are expecting full speed charging right when they leave home.

Similar thing plagues the Canberra Airport supercharger reviews, people leave ACT on a cold winters morning and head straight to the supercharger and wonder why they get such slow rates.

Lots of people reporting around 70kW on Ampol with some Ioniq 5 at 120kW. Does that mean they aren't cranked up fully yet?
I used the Amp charge Northmead yesterday and arrived with 20% SOC came from the city and pre- conditioned for the approx 35 minute drive and I got 74kW max all the way to 72%.
It wasn't a fully conditioned battery but I did expect a little higher rate so I do believe they are limiting the power output of the charger.

Reactions: moa999
Per this photo from Plugshare (my zoom) the ABB units that Ampol are using are max 200A.

Screenshot_20220825-162159.png

So on 400V cars (the majority, including all Tesla's) you're looking at Max 80kW.
Less the heating (given its currently winter) means max reported in our cars of low 70kW.

The Taycan, EV6 and Ioniq5 being 800W architecture should be quicker.

So on 400V cars (the majority, including all Tesla's) you're looking at Max 80kW.
Less the heating (given its currently winter) means max reported in our cars of low 70kW.
You've nailed it! 200A is not terribly useful for 400V cars. Even 800V cars will only get max 160. On Chargefox 350s, I get 170kW at low SOC (18 to 35%). At low SOC, voltage is even lower, say 360V, so max may be 72kW on these ABBs without any conditioning. Here's to more V3 (and one day V4) Tesla Superchargers!

Yeah that explains it, tricky little buggers.
The 200amps is shared? Surely will be slower than a 50kW charger if both plugged in at the same time.
Charged at Ampol Altona today and there happened to be guys from Ampol Corporate looking at the chargers

Explained the situation about 200A ABB Hardware limiting charge rated for 90% of EVs in Australia.

Otherwise App and charge went well

Charged at Ampol Altona today and there happened to be guys from Ampol Corporate looking at the chargers

Explained the situation about 200A ABB Hardware limiting charge rated for 90% of EVs in Australia.

Otherwise App and charge went well
"Let me explain it to you mate. 200A for my car is like putting 91 into it, when really I need 98."

More to the point: You've [Ampol] paid for a 200kW grid connection, but all but a few hundred cars in the country can only utilise it at less than half that due to a limitation of the hardware you've installed. Your turnover at this machine is never going to be more than half of what it could be, and when one of those 800V-capable vehicles does stop by you'll be stung for demand charges for the rest of the month based on a power draw that you won't achieve most of the time.

And the 90% of cars won't be happy at paying a higher (60c/kWh) rate when they can't actually achieve the higher charging speeds versus say Evie chargers at 40c/kWh (which will give you 50kW)

And fuel companies should know how elastic petrol demand is when your price is out of whack with the competition.

Reactions: Chenkers
And the 90% of cars won't be happy at paying a higher (60c/kWh) rate when they can't actually achieve the higher charging speeds versus say Evie chargers at 40c/kWh (which will give you 50kW)

Well it might stop the loiterers :)

In one of the “Lessons Learned” reports to ARENA, Chargefox said that most charging stops appeared to be dictated by the length of stay not kWh received. The bulk of charging stops were 20 to 30 minutes, which suggests charging is partly opportunistic and primarily dictated by whatever other activity the driver stopped for.

Given the location of these Ampol chargers, a lot of charging might be done while the driver does a supplementary shop at the adjoining supermarket or grabs some takeaway. Meaning charging stops might only be 10-15 minutes and drivers won’t care about the fewer kWh delivered in that timeframe - less cost to them!

It would be very interesting to see the stats after a few months!

Yeah it will be interesting to see the stats on usage. Not many charges in the area so will probably get usage because of the location. Most users won't have a clue why the charging speed is hampered like me unless it's spelt out to them.
Happy to get more chargers but would be good if it could deliver what it is supposed too.