Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

amps cuts to 31 now...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
So... as far as I know my amps have been 32 since new. never had an issue that I know of.
Now the app, which shows and lets you change charge rate.... when I open it at random shows 31. wtf? i set it to 32 and randomly (almost every time actually) it's showing 31... why?!?! 32 is slow enough. I don't want slower!

Attachments

• 246412353_905955070027550_1480467344552420119_n.jpg
    246412353_905955070027550_1480467344552420119_n.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 3,479
Reactions: Cnixon
So... as far as I know my amps have been 32 since new. never had an issue that I know of.
Now the app, which shows and lets you change charge rate.... when I open it at random shows 31. wtf? i set it to 32 and randomly (almost every time actually) it's showing 31... why?!?! 32 is slow enough. I don't want slower!
31 is not enough off of 32 to be noticeable. What charge cable are you using and at what voltage?

I have 2017 model X that I charge at home with a Tesla wall charger based on 2 80amp breakers — for years it has charged at about 41mph using 64amps, but now it is charging at 31mph and has been reduced to 36amps. I didn’t do anything!! Any ideas?!

I have 2017 model X that I charge at home with a Tesla wall charger based on 2 80amp breakers — for years it has charged at about 41mph using 64amps, but now it is charging at 31mph and has been reduced to 36amps. I didn’t do anything!! Any ideas?!
I typically charge my Model Y at 48 amps and I made the mistake of playing around with the new feature in the app, that allows you to change the amps, and set it to 11 amps. Now every time I start charging I have to go back into the app and dial it back up to 48 amps, even though that's where I now leave it set from the previous charge (it defaults to 11 amps now). It must be a bug that will hopefully be fixed in one of the next software versions.

It’s probably always been slightly under 32 Amps and they are currently not rounding up in the same manner. I really don’t see this as a big issue. Probably lots of things changed to implement the remote adjustment.

If there is some voltage drop (which is always there but the amount varies) you will get an Amp drop.

Reactions: haggis444
Starting just today, the charging goes from 64/64amps and 42mph to 47/64amps and 31 mph. I don’t get it.
There was a recent update and since that I’ve been charging somewhere else so I didn’t notice it until today.

Attachments

• 2A60C921-7676-49BB-9EF8-5B77C804A9A7.jpeg
    2A60C921-7676-49BB-9EF8-5B77C804A9A7.jpeg
    454.1 KB · Views: 295
  • 864E1E2E-86C5-4F8B-BB4B-7E6CD2FD64A5.jpeg
    864E1E2E-86C5-4F8B-BB4B-7E6CD2FD64A5.jpeg
    376.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 13ADE7DA-362A-412F-8176-6DC2A0806411.jpeg
    13ADE7DA-362A-412F-8176-6DC2A0806411.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 161
  • A71E8B85-686B-4EAD-B985-E8A869FCD3C6.jpeg
    A71E8B85-686B-4EAD-B985-E8A869FCD3C6.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 213
Amps will drop once the voltage gets too high. For instance, this evening, while I had mine plugged in but not charging, when the voltage went up to about 244, it dropped from 72 amps to 71 amps, and when the voltage went up to 247 or 248, it dropped down to 70 amps. It has always done this, and it's likely that you're only seeing it now because you see it more often with the display in the phone.

It’s probably always been slightly under 32 Amps and they are currently not rounding up in the same manner. I really don’t see this as a big issue. Probably lots of things changed to implement the remote adjustment.

If there is some voltage drop (which is always there but the amount varies) you will get an Amp drop.
A good theory, however, the car isn't even charging some of these times.

Car is charged, I open app, shows 31 amps on the adjuster... I then set it to 32.
Few minutes later, open app, shows 32 sometimes, most times 31. Car hasn't charged for hours.

When the app loads it shows 31 and has no 'up' (right) arrow.
Then the arrow appears, I hit up to 32, and it starts all over again.

Attachments

• 246131541_2937914269855341_5265265385787065104_n.jpg
    246131541_2937914269855341_5265265385787065104_n.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 231
  • 246036682_338257844766173_6234084918662172070_n.jpg
    246036682_338257844766173_6234084918662172070_n.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
A good theory, however, the car isn't even charging some of these times.

Car is charged, I open app, shows 31 amps on the adjuster... I then set it to 32.
Few minutes later, open app, shows 32 sometimes, most times 31. Car hasn't charged for hours.

When the app loads it shows 31 and has no 'up' (right) arrow.
Then the arrow appears, I hit up to 32, and it starts all over again.

If it was 5amps I’d be concerned. With 1 amp my guess is it’s a display issue in how it’s rounding.

Be curious what the volts and amps are are showing in the car in both those scenarios.

Reactions: BMWM3Man
Starting just today, the charging goes from 64/64amps and 42mph to 47/64amps and 31 mph. I don’t get it.
There was a recent update and since that I’ve been charging somewhere else so I didn’t notice it until today.
Jeez, dude. This is about the fourth thread today I've seen you posting this in. That's handled elsewhere and is unrelated to this post about the amp reading being down by only 1.

when I open it at random shows 31. wtf? i set it to 32 and randomly (almost every time actually) it's showing 31... why?!?! 32 is slow enough. I don't want slower!
This is a known behavior that has been in all Tesla cars for many years, and @mxnym has the explanation, or at least part of it. Most people around here think of the onboard charger being limited by the number of amps they can process. That is true, but they also can limit by the total power in kilowatts. So if voltage is a bit too high, it will sometimes reduce the number of amps by 1 or 2 to stay within that power limit.

Actually only 2 and the reason I started the second was that there appeared to be parallel play in the sandbox with no real answers. Sorry if you inconvenienced by my worthless issue — hope you never have to spend a couple of days trying to sort out a problem with your Tesla. It is my only mode of transport.

• Disagree
Reactions: doghousePVD
Actually only 2
I looked them up--it's thee, so we were both wrong. Meet in the middle.
and the reason I started the second was that there appeared to be parallel play in the sandbox with no real answers.
There has been a lot of troubleshooting and help and discussion going in the other two threads about this, so we are working on it as we can:

Sorry if you inconvenienced by my worthless issue
I don't need the attitude. We are trying to help, but this was the third thread where I saw this brought up, and it does get confusing and wastes some time with people asking different questions in different threads and having some of them answered in different places. It makes it harder to help. And it does kind of distract from this person's issue, where a large drop in charging power isn't very similar to a display number being off by only 1.

We are glad to try to help and will spend the time to talk with you about it, but it does hinder that, having it spread across a lot of different places.

Reactions: doghousePVD
it's not a voltage issue. It even goes from 32 to 31 even when it's NOT charging. (only plugged in). I change it back to 32, but then it always ends up back at 31 a few hours later. Ticket opened with tesla, but knowing their level of support since 2018 they will probably tell me to pound sand.

it's not a voltage issue. It even goes from 32 to 31 even when it's NOT charging. (only plugged in). I change it back to 32, but then it always ends up back at 31 a few hours later. Ticket opened with tesla, but knowing their level of support since 2018 they will probably tell me to pound sand.
I'm confused as to why you're so sure it's not a voltage issue when I'm so sure it is. I've pointed out in two posts that my X does this while not charging when the voltage increases. Voltage doesn't only fluctuate when you are charging, and fluctuating voltage still affects the max amperage for the charger while you aren't because the charger output isn't measured in amperage, but watts. An 8 amp drop is caused by voltage sag while charging, but a 1 amp drop can be caused by a voltage increase regardless of whether you are charing or not. The fact that you can turn this back up in the app may imply that the app is now causing to car to save it as -1 instead of adjusting back up automatically, or it may imply that the app is showing you an adjustment that isn't really happening due to high voltage. Close the app, go to your vehicle, and look at the charging screen (yes, that's what it's called, even when you aren't charging) or the IC. IIRC, both should show you voltage and amperage. Even if that's wrong, you can see voltage and amperage, you'll just have to figure out which screen to look at for each of them. If it's 244 or higher and showing 0/31, that is likely why your amps are showing 1 lower in the app. If it's under 244 or lower and showing 0/32 while the app still shows 31, then it's likely being caused by the newly released app feature, which service should report to engineers if it isn't already a known issue. Before they do that, though, you may need to initiate charging (from the vehicle, with the app closed after not being adjusted back up), to see whether or not it actually stops at 31/32 as if you've manually limited it.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Hello, I am not saying you couldn't be correct, I'm saying it's not been an issue in 6 years of ownership. I'm pretty familiar with the UMC1, 2, etc, as well as the onboard charger. (I miss the days of the UMC1 and 40 amps). Anyway, (even though all this troubleshooting should never have to be done by the consumer).

History: Same NEMA 14-50 since 2015, when I had my first Model S on a UCM1 happily pulling 40 amps all day every day.
Wife's 3 is also plugged into a NEMA 14-50 from the same panel. (Different outlet, different breaker).
Not aware of any issues of it lowering to 31 amps now or ever.

My X has always charged 32/32 day 1 (July 2019) until the firmware and iOS app let you change the amps.
The only thing that changed here is the feature I didn't ask for.
I always thought it would be neat to be able to do, but in 7+ years (Holy cow, has it really been that long?) of owning 3 Teslas... never actually needed. The amps are set by the chip in the dongle telling the UMC to tell the car max amps.
I'm aware that if the voltage dips as the amps climb while it loads the the circuit, or while charging the car will reduce the amps to reduce the likely-hood of a problem/fire. Also aware of the temp sensors that do similar.

32 amps across a 50 amp breaker/outlet is no sweat. Car was charging just now at 32/32 at 245v. The on board charger in fact, can handle 11.5kw and 32 amps at 245 is only 7,840 watts.

I know (at 245v) I'm talking about 245 watts here... but dammit, 32 amps is already slower than I'd like. I shouldn't have to give up 1 more... especially when the onboard charger can handle it anyway.

I don't know what's worse. that it's occurring, or that you have to quadruple prove the sky is blue to service... I know it's a firmware issue, but if people don't report it... how would it get fixed? The pushed an update which now made my XM all but useless... ugh. can't win.

Anyway, I used to run Visible Tesla on my first S, it logged amps/volts nicely. I don't know if that's still around or not. I also have a Sense which can show me down to the second I think of voltage history.

While I've been typing this, I set the amps to 32 (as it was at 31). Now I just checked the app in the time it took to write this... shows.... wait for it... 31! lol

**screen shot shows 246v. It must have changed to 245 quickly after so the math above is on the 245 figure.

point is, it runs 32 amp at 246 just fine.

I know y'all are trying to help, but really it's gotta be a firmware issue, they take 2 steps forward and 1 back so often with this stuff...
Tesla Service says it's not throwing any charging errors. Which means go away.

250041095_881337492551935_4308146168699381176_n.jpg

Last edited:
You make a very good point on 32 amps on a 50 amp circuit with a 48 amp on board charger leaving the higher voltage meaningless. I'm no longer confused about that and tend to agree with you, so I can only wish you good luck on the quadruple-proof while I simultaneously double-down on my suggestion that you do a bit of testing to be sure whether the issue is in the vehicle or the mobile app in spite of the fact that shouldn't be customer necessary. Separately, if 32amps really isn't charging as fast as you want, maybe you can find a gen 1 mobile connector to hold on to so you can get back up to 40 amps on this and any future Tesla. ETA: Alternatively, perhaps if the new granular control in the scheduled departure function works, you could schedule the charge by scheduling your "departure" such that the amps become irrelevant. The only downside in this suggestion would be if that were to heat the battery when you don't need it to.