Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amps limited to 16 while charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm a first time Tesla owner. Recently got the 2023 model 3. I also purchased the wall charger gen 3 which I connected in my garage (on 3phase with a 40amp breaker). However, whenever I plug my car in to charge, the max amps it reaches is 16amps. Even on the screen in the car I cannot make it any higher. I can make the amp limit go down but not above 16. When I installed the wall connector, and connected to it through its WIFI, it let me set the amps to 32 as an upper limit. So I'm confused on why the car is only drawing 16.
I'm facing this issue even when I charge in public chargers (through the Type 2 socket), it only draws 16 amps. I tried different chargers around town, but the same outcome.

Anyone know how to fix this? Would really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Are you in Europe? The Model 3 LR is limited to charging at a maximum of 11,520 Watts. In North America where we use single phase AC that means that it can charge at 240 Volts and 48 Amps max. If you are on 3 phase, the same limit applies and you would see all 3 phases listed as 250 Volts and 16 Amps (Tesla rounds their numbers up to the nearest whole number).

Are you in Europe? The Model 3 LR is limited to charging at a maximum of 11,520 Watts. In North America where we use single phase AC that means that it can charge at 240 Volts and 48 Amps max. If you are on 3 phase, the same limit applies and you would see all 3 phases listed as 250 Volts and 16 Amps (Tesla rounds their numbers up to the nearest whole number).
Hi, thanks for the reply and information. I live in Qatar in the middle east our voltage here is 220-240V. So the limit would be 16amps then?
Again really appreciate it.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I live in Qatar in the middle east our voltage here is 220-240V. So the limit would be 16amps then?
Well so is ours here in the United States, but that's not what they're asking. On the charging screen, if it is using a 3 phase connection, there will be a little number 3 in a circle showing somewhere. Does it show that?

If it's not showing that, and it is still showing only 16A maximum available, then it sounds more likely that part of the charging system has failed (search threads here for PCS).

The OP question is quite clear :)

He could set 32 A in the WC without a model 3 connected.
This is correct, as a WC can deliver 32A three pase 230V.

But the model 3 (and Y) can only receive 16A on three phase 230V.

So the logic is there and there is probably no issue.

If we still think there is an issue, OP should read the charging power on the cars screen, it should say 11kW at 16A setting.

• Informative
Reactions: davewill