Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amps reducing when reaching 100% charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an SR+ and I recently installed a 10-30 outlet at home to use with my mobile connector. I was doing a full charge before going on a road trip and noticed the charging speed is fine up until it reaches about 92%. Then it started to slowly reduce the amps from 24 all the way down to 8 before I unplugged.

I previously charged at public lvl 2 charging stations and when I would do full charges there, I would get full amps all the way up until about 98%.
Is this normal for the mobile connector?

I have an SR+ and I recently installed a 10-30 outlet at home to use with my mobile connector. I was doing a full charge before going on a road trip and noticed the charging speed is fine up until it reaches about 92%. Then it started to slowly reduce the amps from 24 all the way down to 8 before I unplugged.

I previously charged at public lvl 2 charging stations and when I would do full charges there, I would get full amps all the way up until about 98%.
Is this normal for the mobile connector?
Yes, charge rate can be limited by battery temperature. Your battery was cold on the mobile connector.

Yes, charge rate can be limited by battery temperature. Your battery was cold on the mobile connector.
Thanks for answering! I did charge to 90 overnight and decided to do the last 10% before we left so the battery probably was cold. I never saw that when charging on public charger so I thought it might have been something else. I'll test it out before my next road trip

I believe, this is normal behavior for charging any lithium battery, charging starts in constant current mode (CC) until nearly fully charged then switches to constant voltage (CV) mode when close to 100%. In CV mode the current is reduced as battery voltage increases from charging until charging cutoff voltage is reached (typically 4.2V/cell). You'll only notice this for L1/L2 charging when charging to close to full state of charge.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Thanks for answering! I did charge to 90 overnight and decided to do the last 10% before we left so the battery probably was cold. I never saw that when charging on public charger so I thought it might have been something else. I'll test it out before my next road trip
It's a continuous changing curve situation that is regulated by two variables: state of charge and temperature. So the current will have to reduce with the closer it gets to 100%, but there is also a changing level of how much current it will allow based on how cold it is.