TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Amusing Roadster problem

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by adiggs, Jun 18, 2013.

1. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

So I have this amusing problem with the Roadster - I'm hoping somebody else has had something similar and can make a suggestion.

The knob for the fan control got left behind during a sharp acceleration (literally - I put my foot down, and the knob stayed in place while the car took off). End result is that the knob is somewhere under the driver's seat.

Any suggestions for how to get something small out from under the driver's seat? I've got pretty long fingers, but not that long. I'd sort of like to put that knob back where it belongs :tongue:

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I don't even know what you call them, but I'd use one of those flexy-grabby things that are often used to pick up screws dropped in to engine compartments, like HERE.

One of the most useful tools I have ever owned...

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The Roadster HVAC knobs are cheap and break frequently. If it's still under warranty get them to replace it.

If it's not under warranty, do what Chad suggests and then use some glue on it...

4. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

How about a coat hanger with a hook on the end.

5. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

The seats are not that hard to remove. 4 bolts and about 30 minutes and you can lift them up for cleaning or get things under the seat. Note add another 15 minutes to remove the full seat as you have to also contend with seat belt attachment.

6. Vexar

Vexar Member

Put some earphones on and use an electric leaf blower from the back seat. It's the only way you can respond to how the knob got there in the first place. Be careful with the upholstery. You might also use a shop vac, but that's not nearly as impressive.

7. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

Reverse the process - sharp deceleration (safely of course).:biggrin:

Alternative: back-scratcher with double-sided tape on the end. Less fun...

8. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

H'mm - I have a leaf blower too. I've even used it a few times for drying the car after washing.

"what are you doing"

"dusting under the seats"

9. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Wasn't there a story about that used to recover Elon's wife's phone (or something like that)? Rather than take the seat out, just brake sharply.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

That does work. Last year I lost something, but I didn't realize that I had lost it in the car. I found it under heavy braking when it suddenly popped out from under the seat!

11. Owner

Owner Active Member

I put my registration under the seat, since I had a 1.5 and no glove compartment.

A cop did pull me over for a ticket, and I couldn't get the registration out. He didn't fret over it, and gave me a ticket anyways.:eek:

That old registration might still be under that seat.