Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An all-electric car completed the Dakar rally for the first time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NeverFollow

Aug 9, 2010
An all-electric car completed the Dakar rally for the first time

screen-shot-2017-01-15-at-8-36-29-pm-e1484531303363.png

"The vehicle is equipped with 250 kW synchronous electric motor, equivalent to 340 horsepower
and a modular battery pack made of six lithium battery modules for a total of 150 kWh energy
capacity when using all modules. Acciona previously claimed to be using “Tesla batteries” in their packs."

"Acciona’s team says it is using “Tesla batteries” in the vehicle, but considering both companies
don’t appear to have a relationship, they are likely referring to the use of the same Panasonic
battery cells that Tesla is using in its own vehicles."

"They can plug each module independently to charge faster
and they also have a small 100-watt solar panel on the back of the roof:"
(From Fred Lambert)

dakar.jpg

"For anybody who is wondering, they came in last overall with a time of 111:21:18 and a 41 hour penalty.
It looks like they didn't finish some of the stages and I'm guessing that's where the penalty comes from.
Still, pretty good considering that almost a third of the cars didn't finish.
I bet they'll do better next year."
(From sorin7486)

"335bhp, 590 lb/ft, max weight 2100kg,
200km (124 miles) racing range,
six modular packs totalling 150 kWh.
Racing energy consumption 321.87 to 643.74 Wh/mile,
or 1.55 to 3.11 miles/kWh, depending on terrain type."
(From Vertigo Nøderak)

"In race conditions the car can do 200km on a full charge.
Service trucks are positioned on route to provide a recharge of 85% in 1h."
(From Snowcat )

In particular, Stage 6 was 527km (327 miles).

"They apparently had three trucks carrying serious gensets, running biodiesel."
(From Gyrogordini)

Why not just swap batteries to save time?
Or is that against the rules?

I was wondering also about it. There must be some restriction on making changes to a car?
- I imagine that you could get some new tires if they get punctured because of the nature of the off road race.
- Also in a case of an accident, if a car is not drivable I suppose that some suspensions components could be changed.

In the case of the above Acciona EV race car, the batteries seems to be accessible from the side:

dakar.jpg

so a swapable rack mechanism would not be too difficult to build?
(instead of lifting the car to access the batteries from below, in the case of a Tesla)

- See for example this study perfomed at UCSD San Diego::Pulling the plug: EV battery module exchange put to test

AR-310209870.jpg

Instead of going by the traditional plug-and-wait protocol for EVs,
the engineers will swap out rechargeable, briefcase-size battery modules on the fly
as they travel from San Diego to the coast of South Carolina in less than 60 hours.
Possibly beating the 58 hours 55 minutes Tesla Guinness Cross Country record.

It's probably a logistical mess in he middle of nowhere, and probably not much faster than their fast charge system.

Note: Tesla recharging required 12 hours and 48 minutes of non-drive time.
The project using swap-able batteries should requires 25 stops of 5 minutes, or about only 2 hours.

Note: This project could be a good way for recycling the VW TDI affected
by the Dieselgate instead of having those cars sent for scrap.

Last edited:
Note: Tesla recharging required 12 hours and 48 minutes of non-drive time.
The project using swap-able batteries should requires 25 stops of 5 minutes, or about only 2 hours.

It's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. I believe Acciona chose the right solution. Get the car to cross the line. In the future they can work the charging solution and making their way up the finishing order. Walk before you can run. One problem at a time. Rome in a day. Etc, etc.

Regarding pack swap, the vibration environment would be difficult to overcome for a Dakar vehicle. A swappable battery would need be a very secure bolt in/out, not a slide in/out, which would increase charging cycle time.