Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An Astronomer's Dream Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm helping one of the local astronomy clubs staff a public observing outreach tonight at an area library, and discovered that a Model S is apparently ideal for hauling an s-load of gear. #astronomy #STEM #telescopes #NAS #volunteering @Celestron @BarringtonStoke @tesla

Attachments

• IMG_20200303_092928.jpg
    IMG_20200303_092928.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 96
LOL - I just looked at a Model S and Model X today. Unless your scope is small (like a 5" refractor) you're out of luck. Really liked the S, but the rear storage area height is a no-go for my Dob. I'll be keeping the Honda CR-V for that task.

The good news - the Tesla salesperson I spoke with (who BTW also owns a telescope and spoke enough of the lingo to be convincing) told me the air suspension can lift the S to about 6.5" ground clearance, nice for getting back to my observing area. Last 1/2 mile is a dirt/gravel access road, sometimes with ruts. Think I will test that one in daylight first.

I'm helping one of the local astronomy clubs staff a public observing outreach tonight at an area library, and discovered that a Model S is apparently ideal for hauling an s-load of gear. #astronomy #STEM #telescopes #NAS #volunteering @Celestron @BarringtonStoke @tesla

Agreed :)

LOL - I just looked at a Model S and Model X today. Unless your scope is small (like a 5" refractor) you're out of luck.

My 11" SCT fits just fine.

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 8.21.45 PM.png

Reactions: trnunes
LOL - I just looked at a Model S and Model X today. Unless your scope is small (like a 5" refractor) you're out of luck. Really liked the S, but the rear storage area height is a no-go for my Dob. I'll be keeping the Honda CR-V for that task.

The good news - the Tesla salesperson I spoke with (who BTW also owns a telescope and spoke enough of the lingo to be convincing) told me the air suspension can lift the S to about 6.5" ground clearance, nice for getting back to my observing area. Last 1/2 mile is a dirt/gravel access road, sometimes with ruts. Think I will test that one in daylight first.

I gotta echo @nwdiver. The actual pic accompanying my initial post is my 8" SCT/mount, tripod, step stool, two 17amp power tanks, dew shield, and big-bag-o-accessories. I haven't tried putting my 12.5" truss dob in it yet, but I think it will fit with the seats down.

And, re:small SUV comparisons, the outreach 'kit' I just described/loaded in my S last night *barely* fit in the back of my old Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid, but fits in the back of the S with room to spare!

Also an amateur astronomer, picking up my MS on Friday. The main problem I have with my F350 is that any time you open a door, it turns on ALL the lights - DRLs, tail, interior, bed lights. Nice bright LEDs, and you can’t turn off the function. Very poor dark sky etiquette. Hope the MS is better in that regard.....

Reactions: trnunes
Also an amateur astronomer, picking up my MS on Friday. The main problem I have with my F350 is that any time you open a door, it turns on ALL the lights - DRLs, tail, interior, bed lights. Nice bright LEDs, and you can’t turn off the function. Very poor dark sky etiquette. Hope the MS is better in that regard.....

I haven't taken my S to dark skies yet, just the one public outreach (where night vision's a non-starter). You did inspire an odd picture in my mind, though; of the red tape I had on my old Subaru's interior lights, totally covering the S' two screens. ;-)

If I get a chance to RTFM, I'll share; though I'm guessing someone else already knows the answer.

My 11" SCT fits just fine.

View attachment 517740

Don't take this the wrong way ... but it has been about 40 years since an 11" aperture was considered a "big scope". These days, my 16" is just a medium scope. Sadly, Tesla is not making a vehicle that will fit it.

Of course, with my Gen3 Night Vision eyepiece, my 7" Takahashi will out-perform the 16" equipped with plain eyepieces.

Electronic eyepieces - electronic car. Good fit, think I will buy a Tesla :)