Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An automatic Exit profile would be nice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other cars have a clear "off" action that they use to trigger Exit Assist. Tesla's lack that, preferring an implicit off of you walking out of the car and some time passing.

Unfortunately Tesla's approach won't work well with Exit Assist. That said, I would gladly take an explicit Off button on-screen after activating Park in exchange for having a more graceful Exit Assist than manually flipping custom profiles.

It could turn off the music too...Something I do manually every time I get out of the car, because I don't want it to start playing anytime I walk by the car.

Last edited:
I put in an official request about having the seat move back and the suspension lowered upon park/exit. I was told the more it gets requested. The higher the chance, so people should definitely submit their feedback.

Why would you want the suspension lowered? Setting the suspension to very high would seem to make for the easiest way to exit the vehicle.

My toddler and wife would disagree. On standard, she's unable to step up and down on her own...the toddler that is. On very high my wife would basically fall out of the car to get out. Guess it depends on how tall you are.

One way this could work is to trigger it if you double press Park. This should pop up the doors screen (in the X) and trigger Exit Assist positions (if enabled).

The exit assist could be an option under Settings / Vehicle, with appropriate options for suspension height, seat and wheel movement toggles, and pause/stop music on/off.

This would enable us to press Park to drop off a passenger (open FWDs and the like) but double press to let the vehicle know the driver wants exit (different than a brief drop off stop).

My 2004 MDX did that, would be nice for Tesla to do the same
I was thinking the same thing. My older mdx and the newer much cheaper Toyota moves back the seat as I open the door to get in or out of the car and goes to my fob position when I close the door after I get it. The wife and I really like it. We will be disappointed to get the X and see it is dumb in this regard.

Obviously, with the programmability of the cars and interface, everything *can* be done. It's just a matter of resources. With the what, eight, lines of cars now being worked on at some level, I would hope they would continue to add little tweaks to the 'best' cars' (S and X) UI. Especially ones that other cars have had forever...

Is this the answer to our request? :)

upload_2017-5-23_17-2-6.png

• Helpful
Reactions: vandacca
Is this the answer to our request? :)

View attachment 228118
I can see this being a decent compromise if Tesla doesn't want to make it very customizable. As long as the function is automatic, like when you press Park button, it just happens. I've found that for my challenging entry-exit to the Model S, I prefer that the seat remains in the same position and it's just the steering wheel moving in and up. I think a lot of the obstruction comes from the steering wheel being in the way. And if you're going to move the steering wheel, everyone is going to want it all the in and all the way up. Doing the action automatically when pressing park may not take care of everyone's preferences, but it will address it a fair amount of them for a amount of people.

It's definitely better than what we have now. To go into exit mode now, I have to tap the screen once to bring up the menu bar, tap the profile to bring the menu up, then to finally tap on the Exit profile. Three taps is too much, I think.

Just as an aside, after many months of Model S use, I found getting in and out of the Model X to be extremely easy. It may be because I'm used to the extreme contortions I go through with my Model S (the vision of a sardine getting in/out of a can often comes to mind), but I found I could set up a driving profile on the X where I didn't even have to create an exit profile and still was able to get in and out comfortably. Although it may be that after I actually have my X in daily use, I might become more picky. So still looking forward to an automatic steering wheel movement.

I would suggest that it should be a double tap of the park button. That way, you could tap once for regular park / when you aren't exiting and tap twice to activate the exit profile without needing any kind of delay or additional "open door" trigger. Yes, they'd have to adjust the auto-park trigger to three taps or a touch screen press.

You could make the exit settings a subset of the main profile so that every person could have their own exit settings.

My thoughts, exactly. I probably miss this feature more than any other (even compared to rain sensing wipers!)

There are all sorts of good reasons to just make it part of the driver profile. I like the idea of the double tap park to activate it (and have it the default when unlocking the car with the fob or by walking up).

For that matter, 10 profiles seems mighty excessive. I bet that, if they didn't want to add to the code volume for profiles, they could cut the number of profiles to 7 or so and add "entrance/exit" seat and steering wheel settings to those.