Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An automatic Exit profile would be nice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has this ever been discussed? Rather than manually creating a profile that behaves just like any other profile but you label 'Exit', I think it would be nice if there were a factory-provided Exit profile that you could define, but that would automatically take effect whenever you press the 'Park' button and then automatically revert to the previous user profile when you put the car into 'Drive' or 'Rev'.

You wouldn't have to keep pressing the screen to switch between them. Half the time I forget and never switch it back to my driver profile. What do you all think? Am I missing something?

I don't hold much hope for this ever being done. Tesla seems to concentrate on driving experience and doesn't seem to give much stock to usability. Kind of similar to providing the vanity mirrors but then not lighting them.

Has this ever been discussed? Rather than manually creating a profile that behaves just like any other profile but you label 'Exit', I think it would be nice if there were a factory-provided Exit profile that you could define, but that would automatically take effect whenever you press the 'Park' button and then automatically revert to the previous user profile when you put the car into 'Drive' or 'Rev'.
Yes this has been discussed. It would indeed be a nice convenience for some people. Though I often select Park and remain in the car and would not want an Exit profile to take effect when I do that.

Yeah, we could have that. I'd suggest in our cars though they would have to have it start if only 1) in Park, and 2) driver's door is opened - then it initiations a steering pull back and seat back some.
I don't agree about the door. By the time you open the door, you're ready to get out and will end up waiting for the steering wheel to get out of the way. I think you need the time gap between pressing the Park button and being ready to open the door to give it a head start.

I don't agree about the door. By the time you open the door, you're ready to get out and will end up waiting for the steering wheel to get out of the way. I think you need the time gap between pressing the Park button and being ready to open the door to give it a head start.
I see your point. But I sometimes find myself in this scenario: I am parked, sitting in the drivers seat, waiting for my spouse to return to the car. As she approaches the car I press Park so the door handles will present for her. I don't want an Exit Profile to be activated when I do that.

Of course she can either use her fob to make the handle present or just press on it. So the scenario I describe is not a major argument against having an Exit Profile feature.

Also different drivers want a different exit profile, so now you've opened a whole new can of worms. What if the exit profile is set to move the seat up and forward, like my wife wants? If I'm in the seat, then the seatbelt will cut me in half every time I put the car in park.

Also different drivers want a different exit profile, so now you've opened a whole new can of worms. What if the exit profile is set to move the seat up and forward, like my wife wants? If I'm in the seat, then the seatbelt will cut me in half every time I put the car in park.
What I was suggesting is that you still get to define what the Exit profile looks like. Just that it would then be activated by pressing the Park button, rather than having to reach for the screen and select it under profiles. I also agree with another comment that this is a feature that could be turned on and off by the user, therefore also accommodating the outliers.

Exiting the car on low or normal isn't what you call graceful for me... lol. I'm a truck guy. Going from a 2009 Tahoe to a Model S was an adjustment in the getting in/out situation. I must have hit my head a dozen times. Me No Feel so good...

Reactions: BerTX
I would suggest that it should be a double tap of the park button. That way, you could tap once for regular park / when you aren't exiting and tap twice to activate the exit profile without needing any kind of delay or additional "open door" trigger. Yes, they'd have to adjust the auto-park trigger to three taps or a touch screen press.

You could make the exit settings a subset of the main profile so that every person could have their own exit settings.

Reactions: F123456
  • Anent the Different Driver problem: under the Mr BerTX's Driver Profile, hitting "Park" would mean vehicle places seats, etc., in his desired Exit stance. Under the Mrs BerTX Profile, it would align to her preferred stance. No double tapping needed.

• Anent the Present Door Handle problem: I believe that hitting the lock/unlock "padlock" icon on the screen's top leftmost corner is a better way to present handles than putting the vehicle in Park.

I'm not sure about that. I had it on my old Ford Flex and even though it's not instantaneous, it was pretty helpful. It also allows you to use a closer seat position for your normal driving (if you're inclined) since it doesn't have to be a compromise in order to accommodate ingress/egress.