Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An error, a diagnosis, and a new rear motor in 7 days in MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to post me experience in the Minneapolis service center.

Last Thursday, i got an error message on the way to work to the effect of "Car needs service. Car may not restart." First issue i've had since i got it in Aug 2018 (11k miles). I figured it might be a ghost in the machine, so i went to work like usual. When i drove home, it popped back up about halfway home. I didn't notice a real loss of power or anything like that, but I called service from the car, and they said bring it straight in for peace of mind. Showed up 10 minutes before closing, got a P85D loaner (holy hell those things are fast...put my amazingly quick LR AWD to shame). It took them 5 days to look at it, since half of the techs were in some sort of training. They diagnosed an "internal fault on the rear drive unit" on the first day of the diagnostic. Within 24 hours they had a new rear motor installed (happened to be in stock) and i picked it up. Easy enough.

Overall aa great experience. They kept me updated every step of the way via text (thanks Brandon). Bummer the rear unit needed to be replaced, but at least it is an easy swap. They do it from under the car so no worries about bodywork coming off.

Finally a success story about a Service Center. Make sure you write a good review on Yelp/Google/etc. I’ve yet to have any experience with them yet besides picking the car up which I guess is a good thing. I do hope Tesla can start putting some money (& people) into the Service Centers soon

Reactions: HughManatee
That's a great service experience. Thank you for posting.

On the other hand, a motor failure after 11,000 miles is concerning.

No one was stranded. The motor pushed the Model 3 just fine.
No tow trucks, no taxi/lyft/uber were harmed.
No family or friends were bothered.
Got to drive an old Model S.
May all failures be this "catastrophic".

@HughManatee -
Seems to this reader, the "drive system" got replaced. It would be very interesting (to me atleast) to know the details of this failure. Anyway, whatever was the exact problem, seems it was replaced/repaired BEFORE actual failure. :rolleyes: Right??

Reactions: HughManatee
I’ve had good experience with the Pittsburgh, PA service center when I had my MS 75D. It took a few visits to finally find the root cause of the problem, but I received good communication and a loaner each time, so I’m reasonably happy with them.

No one was stranded. The motor pushed the Model 3 just fine.
No tow trucks, no taxi/lyft/uber were harmed.
No family or friends were bothered.
Got to drive an old Model S.
May all failures be this "catastrophic".

@HughManatee -
Seems to this reader, the "drive system" got replaced. It would be very interesting (to me atleast) to know the details of this failure. Anyway, whatever was the exact problem, seems it was replaced/repaired BEFORE actual failure. :rolleyes: Right??

They are going to send me more info on the root cause and technical stuff (i asked, he said most people didn't) but don't have it yet. They did confirm the rear drive unit was replaced, proactively. Let's see what they come back with.

I have nothing but praise for the Eden Prairie, MN SC. So far had the rear bumper cover replaced (hit and run in a parking garage). They had a cover on hand and it was done in a couple of hours MS as a loaner and they even removed 2 car seats to get the old bumper cover in the car at my request. They also replaced a faulty charge port lock sub-assembly in 15 minutes barely had time to finish my coffee.

FYI - there is a redesigned version of the lock mechanism if anyone is having issues with their charge port not locking or unlocking. Mine would lock/unlock at a rapid pace over and over below about 40 deg F.

Reactions: TomB985
Great News!

I had the same fault at around 25K and also had the Drive Unit replaced.... Took about a week to get the part...

BUT... and this is a big BUT...... Check on the EFFICENCY of the new motor.

My car is now running about 20 to 30kW more per mile.... I was averaging around 240kW per mile and with the new motor is it running 260kW+ per mile.....

I have approached the SC on this issue, but they claim that they see nothing wrong....

There is no reason that the car should be running this high as my driving habits haven't changed any.

Only thing I can think of is that something is binding (brakes?) causing the motor to run heavier than before...

Anyone else have this issue?

Great News!

I had the same fault at around 25K and also had the Drive Unit replaced.... Took about a week to get the part...

BUT... and this is a big BUT...... Check on the EFFICENCY of the new motor.

My car is now running about 20 to 30kW more per mile.... I was averaging around 240kW per mile and with the new motor is it running 260kW+ per mile.....

I have approached the SC on this issue, but they claim that they see nothing wrong....

There is no reason that the car should be running this high as my driving habits haven't changed any.

Only thing I can think of is that something is binding (brakes?) causing the motor to run heavier than before...

Anyone else have this issue?

There’s no way for you to be sure. Weather is colder etc, using the heat/HVAC more etc.

Do they show the breakdown of the parts/labor to replace the motor? Curious what this would have cost if out of warranty. I know with previous ICE warranty repairs, they typically outlined the total parts/labor cost on the paperwork even though I owed nothing.