Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An even more dissapointing second week with our Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Often times the sequel is not as good as the first and same sentiment holds true with our second week. First week as follows: Very disappointing first week with Model X

More problems as follows:
1. Driver side window screeches as it slides up and down and creates this very strong and and ear wrenching vibration. I have videos.
2. BIG ISSUE: This week we had our first nail in the tire. An unfortunately common occurrence in South Florida with all the new development. Low and behold the factory forgot to install the jack points on the passenger rear side--the exact location of our flat. This is being tended to as we speak but we had to demand the car be picked up from our location and swapped out....lets see how it goes. Luckily it appears to be a slow leak and I limped the car back to our condo.I have photographic evidence.

3. Automatic wipers are still sub par and require the car to be in a hurricane to work. Luckily hurricane season is around the corner, but I'm doubtful they will work then too.

4. Our internet browser does not work yet--local service team doesn't foresee a date when that will be fixed. They claim this affects ALL new Model X with new browsers. Does anyone with a new Model X delivered in last few weeks have this issue?

5. I may have mentioned this before but our car was VERY poorly painted. I have photos depicting the haziness in the paint it almost looks like panels were painted with two different types of black paint and its under the clear coat like this.

6. Trunk. The trunk opens to about 1/3 of the full position. I'm pretty sure there is some issue because it used open fully. Yes, this is outside with nothing near the car.

7. Automatic opening for the charge port. I'm pretty sure our car forgot this feature as it needs to manually be opened in the display. It used to do it the first week.

I don't care what the fanboys say, there is 0 quality control in our experience. I know a lot of the fanboys say this is a premium car and I should expect it to be on par with a car that is worth 40k, but we paid about 60k more than that so we expect 100k quality.

I'm hopeful our experience can provide guidance to prospective buyers. It appears our car was made in an outdoor tent...

was this a "new car or a CPO?

I'm hopeful our experience can provide guidance to prospective buyers. It appears our car was made in an outdoor tent...
Model 3 only in the outdoor spring building.

Do hope your issues get resolved quickly.

I'm guessing the trunk position is set for a lower opening by partially opening and then holding the button. I did same on my S when I first got it. Have to manually push it all the way open and then hold the button to reset.

3. Automatic wipers are still sub par and require the car to be in a hurricane to work. Luckily hurricane season is around the corner, but I'm doubtful they will work then too.
Did you try the second position yet?

7. Automatic opening for the charge port. I'm pretty sure our car forgot this feature as it needs to manually be opened in the display. It used to do it the first week.
Fickle for me too but it's about 75% when pressing the charge plug handle. Much higher % if I do it when the plug handle is behind the charge port rather than over the charge port. Could this be an issue with your charger vs the car?

I don't care what the fanboys say, there is 0 quality control in our experience. I know a lot of the fanboys say this is a premium car and I should expect it to be on par with a car that is worth 40k, but we paid about 60k more than that so we expect 100k quality.

The fanboys here typically say:
Ive had all sorts of problems, always at service center, best car ever!
or
I have no problems (except these 10 problems), problems with the X have been sorted out.
or
I had more problems with my BMW XYZ45 M 1, so the problems with the X are no big deal.

;) ;)

Really sucks to hear Tesla is still putting out the MX with issues... though most people with the X have few, if any, issues. Those I've referred have had tremendous luck with the X over the course of the past year. On the other hand, my car has been in service for about 6 weeks in the past year. Really alarming to see the quality difference. Some of it is assembly and some is quality of materials.

Ultimately, I think it's the cost of doing business with a new manufacturer who beta tests their cars with the public. Unfortunately, I would not want to own a Tesla out of warranty. It would be unfortunate if used Teslas gain the reputation of used Land Rovers... resale values will tank.

The fanboys here typically say:
Ive had all sorts of problems, always at service center, best car ever!
or
I have no problems (except these 10 problems), problems with the X have been sorted out.
or
I had more problems with my BMW XYZ45 M 1, so the problems with the X are no big deal.

;) ;)

Don't you think most owners on this forum are hyper-critical of their cars rather than "fanboys"? That's my experience anyway. It's probably one of the most, if not THE most critical car forum I've ever been on!

Also seems to attract a lot of non-owners who tend to pick up on the negative vibes for some reason. No idea why?

Many of the quality issues with the X now seem to revolve around random things missing off the car during production, which is not acceptable and something Tesla really need to sort out. This missing jack pad is typical and I've heard of cars missing parts of the towing package, various interior trims etc. Also still plenty of ongoing and sometimes new software bugs, which could also do with a serious clean up. Premium Spotify on UK cars is quite buggy on start-up, but otherwise awesome compared to the average in-car music system.

So no it's far from the perfect car, but still far better than anything else I've driven lately and there's absolutely nothing on the market today I would swap it for.

Foremost, thanks for ALL the responses and constructive feedback. Let me start by saying I don't mean to offend anyone as a fanboy, but I do agree with the sentiments "barklikeadog" brought up. We had high expectations because we were sold on high expectation.

This is a brand NEW car. The car has not seen any trauma or overuse. The jack pads were either not installed at all OR where knocked off before we got the car. There is no evidence they were ever there as there is no scratches or bent plastics. The tiny bit of plastic overlying the rails is flexible so its not evidence of them being there really it can be literally flicked back into place. The bottom of the car is clean and with absolutely NO scratches.

For those that have perfect Model X's I'm genuinely happy for you, because we hope to be there and the one that we took on a test drive seemed absolutely perfect in fit / finish and what we expected. So if you have new model X without issues or even minor issues congrats, enjoy, and drive safe. The car CAN be a spectacle when it works.

We are hoping to get the car back with the aforementioned issues over the last two weeks resolved and if not we will have to go down another path that we've never been in the dozens of other cars we've purchased without any issue...

Thanks

Reactions: TexasRat
Lol the OP has 2 threads with over 12 pages of replies ...I honestly not sure what OP is looking for ..sympathy ? Validation that Tesla has QC issues ? ...it’s a car enjoy it ..nothing in here cannot be resolved

• Love
Reactions: spectrum
The paint “haze” appears to be wax which was not completely wiped off.

Try a moist microfiber on the area after washing the car and see if it clears away.

My car was very poorly detailed in this regard upon delivery; there was wax in many crevices that I removed myself when I got home.

Tried all of that and it appears to deeper than the actual clear coat. I don't think our car was even detailed during delivery.

Lol the OP has 2 threads with over 12 pages of replies ...I honestly not sure what OP is looking for ..sympathy ? Validation that Tesla has QC issues ? ...it’s a car enjoy it ..nothing in here cannot be resolved

Fair point and genuinely do not want / need sympathy, but ideally looking for resolution of our issues, so we can enjoy this car as you mentioned. Also surprised to see so many people respond or PM with similar experiences. I think as a prospective buyer this is very important so one has practical expectations. Again some people had perfect deliveries / cars, but apparently many have not. Also hoping this information can be utilized in a constructive way Tesla staff read these forums and perhaps improve QC? Thanks.

Fair point and genuinely do not want / need sympathy, but ideally looking for resolution of our issues, so we can enjoy this car as you mentioned. Also surprised to see so many people respond or PM with similar experiences. I think as a prospective buyer this is very important so one has practical expectations. Again some people had perfect deliveries / cars, but apparently many have not. Also hoping this information can be utilized in a constructive way Tesla staff read these forums and perhaps improve QC? Thanks.
I don't have my car yet, but the issues you've been having are what scared me to almost not pull the trigger. It is unfortunate that this type of QC is lacking even in 2018, 2+ years after production. I just hope that Tesla customer service / service center can fix the issues and make it right for you. If they keep successfully fixing issues, happily without making you feel like you're twisting their arm, then I think that's a good position to be in.

It also seems like difference service centers around the country are very different in terms of how busy they are, how well-equipped they are to service your car and provide loaners. Keep us updated on your interactions with the service center and customer support.

Reactions: Radonculous
1. Driver side window screeches as it slides up and down and creates this very strong and and ear wrenching vibration. I have videos.

Relatively common issue. Service Center will fix this by applying Gummi Pflege to your window seals.

Yep, the rain-sensing function is not good. I have turned this feature off. Hoping they can fix this in an update.

4. Our internet browser does not work yet--local service team doesn't foresee a date when that will be fixed. They claim this affects ALL new Model X with new browsers. Does anyone with a new Model X delivered in last few weeks have this issue?

Weird that it doesn't work. But honestly what do you need it for?

Aim the charger at the C pillar when pressing the button. That is where the sensor resides. Or push on the charging door to open. If the button consistently doesn't work, take the charger with you when you go in for service and they will test it.

You are on a Tesla forum and owners are going to give you feedback based on their experience. Calling us "fanboys" is just plain rude. Also, this did not warrant a second thread. You are repeating some of the same issues listed in your original thread. Just update everyone in your initial thread.

Also hoping this information can be utilized in a constructive way Tesla staff read these forums and perhaps improve QC? Thanks.

I doubt anyone from Tesla is reading the forums these days after Jon McNeil left. If you need special attention on your issues, I would suggest using the Executive Escalation function on tesla.com. I used this recently and had a positive experience.

Relatively common issue. Service Center will fix this by applying Gummi Pflege to your window seals.

Yep, the rain-sensing function is not good. I have turned this feature off. Hoping they can fix this in an update.

Weird that it doesn't work. But honestly what do you need it for?

Aim the charger at the C pillar when pressing the button. That is where the sensor resides. Or push on the charging door to open. If the button consistently doesn't work, take the charger with you when you go in for service and they will test it.

You are on a Tesla forum and owners are going to give you feedback based on their experience. Calling us "fanboys" is just plain rude. Also, this did not warrant a second thread. You are repeating some of the same issues listed in your original thread. Just update everyone in your initial thread.

I doubt anyone from Tesla is reading the forums these days after Jon McNeil left. If you need special attention on your issues, I would suggest using the Executive Escalation function on tesla.com. I used this recently and had a positive experience.

Vik, thanks for the above. I clarified what I meant by fanboys--again the purpose was not to call people out as I don't think serves a useful purpose so sincerely don't mean to offend. I will try your above recommendations when we get the car.

Reactions: P85_DA