Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An even more dissapointing second week with our Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Often times the sequel is not as good as the first and same sentiment holds true with our second week. First week as follows: Very disappointing first week with Model X

More problems as follows:
1. Driver side window screeches as it slides up and down and creates this very strong and and ear wrenching vibration. I have videos.
2. BIG ISSUE: This week we had our first nail in the tire. An unfortunately common occurrence in South Florida with all the new development. Low and behold the factory forgot to install the jack points on the passenger rear side--the exact location of our flat. This is being tended to as we speak but we had to demand the car be picked up from our location and swapped out....lets see how it goes. Luckily it appears to be a slow leak and I limped the car back to our condo.I have photographic evidence.

3. Automatic wipers are still sub par and require the car to be in a hurricane to work. Luckily hurricane season is around the corner, but I'm doubtful they will work then too.

4. Our internet browser does not work yet--local service team doesn't foresee a date when that will be fixed. They claim this affects ALL new Model X with new browsers. Does anyone with a new Model X delivered in last few weeks have this issue?

5. I may have mentioned this before but our car was VERY poorly painted. I have photos depicting the haziness in the paint it almost looks like panels were painted with two different types of black paint and its under the clear coat like this.

6. Trunk. The trunk opens to about 1/3 of the full position. I'm pretty sure there is some issue because it used open fully. Yes, this is outside with nothing near the car.

7. Automatic opening for the charge port. I'm pretty sure our car forgot this feature as it needs to manually be opened in the display. It used to do it the first week.

I don't care what the fanboys say, there is 0 quality control in our experience. I know a lot of the fanboys say this is a premium car and I should expect it to be on par with a car that is worth 40k, but we paid about 60k more than that so we expect 100k quality.

I'm hopeful our experience can provide guidance to prospective buyers. It appears our car was made in an outdoor tent...

IMG_0356.jpg

Above is what the jack point should look like, below is what it looks like in our car where its missing and there is a rectangular gap between the battery and the rails.
IMG_3090.jpg

Here is the paint (its dirty from driving), but you can appreciate the haziness that can't be wiped away. This is how it was delivered. There is more patches like this throughout the entire car.
paint.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Sorry to hear that!! Let’s hope they sort it all for you.

With regards to number 6, isn’t that a feature that you can set how much it openes? Maybe it’s been accidentally set to that level don’t quote me but I think if you push it up fully it should open next time at that level.

With regards to paint that looks shocking looks like it’s been badly polished, did you go base black or the insidious black? :)

A machine polish should sort that but granted you shouldn’t have to fix it not discover it!!

It does worry me for my delivery in September... but I’m staying hopeful.

Some observations

I get the screeching window thing too. Sometimes it will reverse and go back down. Doesn't seem serious (yet) but will have to get it looked at.

Tesla's auto wipers have always sucked. They sucked on my 2013 S and they suck on my new X. Don't think this is a quality control issue as much as just the way it's designed.

Internet browser fixed with latest firmware ( 24.1)

Trunk opening is based on a sensor that is supposed to detect obstacles and stop it before it hits. Mine seems to work okay. Fully opens outdoors yet stops in my garage before hitting the ceiling.

Charge port opening receiver is in the vicinity of the little triangle window at the rear. If you hold the wand there when you press the button, it should work better.

Some observations

I get the screeching window thing too. Sometimes it will reverse and go back down. Doesn't seem serious (yet) but will have to get it looked at.

Tesla's auto wipers have always sucked. They sucked on my 2013 S and they suck on my new X. Don't think this is a quality control issue as much as just the way it's designed.

Internet browser fixed with latest firmware ( 24.1)

Trunk opening is based on a sensor that is supposed to detect obstacles and stop it before it hits. Mine seems to work okay. Fully opens outdoors yet stops in my garage before hitting the ceiling.

Charge port opening receiver is in the vicinity of the little triangle window at the rear. If you hold the wand there when you press the button, it should work better.

The car is scheduled for the a firmware update this night--so hopeful about internet. Also the issue with port is at all times at home unfortunately UNLESS its at a super charger.

The jackpoints are the only glaringly bad things. Everything else is correctable. Agree that for the price point should be better QC. Still a great vehicle overall IMHO nothing out there comparable yet. When Porsche Emission come out though...

Hmmm... could be an issue with the transmitter in whatever you are using at home (UMC or HPWC). A temporary workaround so you don't have to open from the touchscreen: a long press of the trunk button on the fob will pop the charge port.

You can also open it by simply pressing the flap lightly at the forward edge which is quicker and easier than using the key fob long press.

I don't care what the fanboys say, there is 0 quality control in our experience. I know a lot of the fanboys say this is a premium car and I should expect it to be on par with a car that is worth 40k, but we paid about 60k more than that so we expect 100k quality.

I'm hopeful our experience can provide guidance to prospective buyers. It appears our car was made in an outdoor tent...

So anyone who doesn't have all your issues is a fanboy? I hope they sort out your issues and you can actually enjoy the car, but I've got a feeling this isn't going to work for you!

What I would say to prospective buyers is that all manufacturers have quality issues IME, although Tesla do seem to have more than their fair share, especially with the X. But on the other hand it's an amazing and unique car to drive. So consider it a high risk, high reward purchase! But the chances of it being as bad as this particular example are relatively low. Mine has been very reliable in the first 6k miles to date, but I still worry a little when I spend time on this forum!

I am a fan boy so you can ignore me but...

My P85D had a loose arm rest screw that kept it from being perfect. My X has been flawless. I have turned the car inside and out looking for a defect. The only negative issue is an extra plastic front passenger seat track cover under the passenger seat carpet.

In the bay area Teslas are everywhere - I know many people with flawless cars. Push the service center to fix everything ASAP.

I hope you will love it after everything is fixed. Good luck.

Your #6 issue about the trunk might be due to someone overriding/saving a new opening position. You open the trunk to where you want it, then press and hold the button on the trunk to save it as the standard position.

The rest about qc and software bugs... well some they will fix some it’s just common Tesla issue. If one cares about all the little detail of the car I don’t think one should consider a Tesla.

I just brought mine in today for all the little popping noise around my dash and doors. The tech was telling me it’s commonly acceptable noise for Tesla. I was like my 2016 didn’t sound like this and my other cars don’t sound like this. The popping noise is constant throughout the drives on any surface. He said they will try to minimize but cannot get rid of all (which I understand, but mine has constant popping noise).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Your #6 issue about the trunk might be due to someone overriding/saving a new opening position. You open the trunk to where you want it, then press and hold the button on the trunk to save it as the standard position.

The rest about qc and software bugs... well some they will fix some it’s just common Tesla issue. If one cares about all the little detail of the car I don’t think one should consider a Tesla.

I just brought mine in today for all the little popping noise around my dash and doors. The tech was telling me it’s commonly acceptable noise for Tesla. I was like my 2016 didn’t sound like this and my other cars don’t sound like this. The popping noise is constant throughout the drives on any surface. He said they will try to minimize but cannot get rid of all (which I understand, but mine has constant popping noise).
What kind of popping noise are you referring to? Is it speed based? Bumps?

What kind of popping noise are you referring to? Is it speed based? Bumps?
It's hard to describe but it's like mouse-clicking noise result from trim flexes. It's most apparent at lower speeds, when coming to a stop or regen braking, and of course on uneven surface. I understand on very rough surface it's common to have flexing noise but mine is constant as described. I can easily replicate it by accelerating / let go of foot, even on smooth surface. This is very common driving behavior, hence the constant noise. Also every time I right turn into a plaza my whole driver door sounded like it's falling apart, like someone trying to grab few pieces of paper and turn them into a ball. Again this is normal to make noise in such situation but it shouldn't be that bad, simply comparing with my 2016 MX. The tech said they will try to minimize it, which is really all I need.

I consider myself quite tolerable to Tesla quality issues, but I just can't stand this noise.

Last edited:
A heads-up or “how-to” if anyone else discovers when out in the wild that the jackpoint blocks are missing:

First, realize that ‘blocks’ is exactly what they are, and so - all you have to do is place a suitable block into that gap. I’ve never seen the empty space, but from creating my own jack stands I can tell it is approximately the dimensions of a 2x4, so I would start with that.

Now, in that any away-from-home reason to lift the car is because you’re at a service station of some kind (there is zero reason to jack our cars on the side of the road, as we haven’t spare tires in the vehicle), such a station readily can fill that space with just such a chunk of 2x4 or any other appropriately sized material.

• Informative
First, let's try to avoid labeling to try and trivialize their points of view. I hear it all over and granted many can only repeat what they hear I still like to think everyone has their own mind. So hopefully we don't fall into the same crap we hear such as fanboy, left winger, right winger, liberal, conspiracy nut, etc. etc.

Many of those issues do sounds like mess ups and easy fixes which I hope they will do you right, but the one that really stuck out is the paint defect. I wouldn't be happy at all if I found such an issue and the vehicle needing a repaint, that's something that can affect the value.

• Love
It's hard to describe but it's like mouse-clicking noise result from trim flexes. It's most apparent at lower speeds, when coming to a stop or regen braking, and of course on uneven surface. I understand on very rough surface it's common to have flexing noise but mine is constant as described. I can easily replicate it by accelerating / let go of foot, even on smooth surface. This is very common driving behavior, hence the constant noise. Also every time I right turn into a plaza my whole driver door sounded like it's falling apart, like someone trying to grab few pieces of paper and turn them into a ball. Again this is normal to make noise in such situation but it shouldn't be that bad, simply comparing with my 2016 MX. The tech said they will try to minimize it, which is really all I need.

I consider myself quite tolerable to Tesla quality issues, but I just can't stand this noise.
I would consider that completely unacceptable as well, the car should not make noise just because its turning.... or speeding up or stopping....my 2013S with 76k miles on it doesn't rattle or make a single noise like that. sounds like the door panel is not secured properly, and has broken tabs/connectors, and there is trash in your door...

As for OP the lift gate has been set to only open a third of the way, manually lift it to fully open, then press and hold trunk button until it gives a long beep that will set the new open position. then open and close it and see what it does...