Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An experience with Sirius XM radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Model S from the dealer in June. After I got it home, I wanted to take my Sirius radio account off my BMW and put it on my 2020 Model S. The car came with XM radio on it. My salesman had told me that Tesla did not have XM radio. When I picked it up, and showed him XM was on the screen, he said it was not connected to an antenna. Two days later, while fooling around with the car, I touched the XM and a preview of the radio came up loud and clear. I then called XM and got a gentleman who told me that my radio number shown on the subscription screen was not in their system and I needed to contact Tesla and get them to register the radio. Make a long story short, from the dealer to customer service Tesla does not register radios and is not in the radio business. I called the Sirius people back and made the mistake of asking for the man I had talked with before. He closed the account on my BMW, but said he still could not accept the subscription on my Tesla. I argued with him with no results.
Then I wrote the people at Sirius and laid out the problem. Got a nice e mail and a telephone call with a number and a corporate person to talk to. Registering the Tesla radio number was no problem. It WAS in their system, under another VIN, and all the guy had to do was switch it over to my VIN. I hope no one else goes though this if you have XM. They even gave me 3 months full subscription for free.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
My research indicated my new Model S, June, 2020, would not have the XM Radio. Tesla will not tell you what comes on their cars, and many of the dealers do not know. I was very happy to see that my car had the radio, and I could transfer my lifetime subscription to the new car. I posted a list of all the "standard" Model S equipment under the TMC Ordering Forum, so maybe others can see what Tesla offers, even if Tesla will not tell you or document the features.

I was like you, no information anywhere. SiriusXM has been available on the model s since at least 2016, maybe much longer. On earlier models in was included in the premium package. Now it is standard on X and S Models.

Newbie here, so please forgive me if this is a dumb question. My new (built in Aug) 2020 LR+ shows that I have the most current software update, but I do NOT have the new SXM interface desired in this thread and others. Does Tesla sometime separately push out updates for different features (such as SXM) that are not part of a normal/typical software update?

If you have a Model S, you should have SXM and get the one demo channel from the factory. You may not get the interface updates until it is activated, or shortly after activation. It seemed to be days after the update for some that the SXM display enhancements took effect. I believe it required that either you request an SXM signal refresh from the SXM website or by phone, so you may want to try that. Click here: SiriusXM

Yes, have the Model S. I get the one SXM demo channel, but no “subscription” tab to activate the 3 month trial. And, when I try refreshing the signal using the SXM webpage, I get a message that the radio is not “activated.”

Yes, have the Model S. I get the one SXM demo channel, but no “subscription” tab to activate the 3 month trial. And, when I try refreshing the signal using the SXM webpage, I get a message that the radio is not “activated.”
According to SXM site:
"If you purchased a new vehicle with factory-installed SiriusXM:
Your trial should be active at the time of purchase. If your radio isn't on or receiving all the appropriate channels, refresh your radio by following the instructions here or by calling 1-866-635-9632 for help. You will need your Radio ID in order to send a refresh signal."

Perhaps Tesla has not processed the purchase to activate the trial yet. Call SXM first.