Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An explanation to supercharging advantage for batteries.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was impressed myself that superchanging seems to extend, rather than reduce, battery life. Perhaps the higher heat for shorter time helps for this reason.

Charged EVs | Self-healing anode eliminates dendrite buildup

It's not the higher heat, it's the same heat for less time. Charging at 80 amps in moderate ambient temperature will raise you battery temp to 105 to 110.

Supercharging won't cause the temp to go much higher because the AC kicks in to cool the battery coolant yet charging at 80 amps takes hours while supercharging takes just minutes.

Does Repeated Supercharging Shorten Life of Battery Even at 90%?

It's not the higher heat, it's the same heat for less time. Charging at 80 amps in moderate ambient temperature will raise you battery temp to 105 to 110.

Supercharging won't cause the temp to go much higher because the AC kicks in to cool the battery coolant yet charging at 80 amps takes hours while supercharging takes just minutes.

Interesting. So how about charging at 29 amps (as I do)?

Does this mean that charging at lower currents may be better because the battery won't heat up as much?

I also live in a cold country, does it mean that my battery would likley last longer as when I charge in sub-zero temperatures, the battery won't heat up so much?

Reactions: Mobius484
Interesting. So how about charging at 29 amps (as I do)?

Does this mean that charging at lower currents may be better because the battery won't heat up as much?

I also live in a cold country, does it mean that my battery would likley last longer as when I charge in sub-zero temperatures, the battery won't heat up so much?

I think it all boils down to how warm the battery gets while charging. The colder it is outside, the colder the battery will stay while charging at x amps.

I think it all boils down to how warm the battery gets while charging. The colder it is outside, the colder the battery will stay while charging at x amps.
But the colder it is the slower the supercharger will charge. This is the reason that it’s smart to use a supercharger right after someone unplugged. Electrons like the nice warm cable ;)

I'm with you that the macro level heating will not be much different in supercharging than in slower charging. However at the micro level I cannot believe that they can control the heat that well. That's the issue of the article. The micro level heating may be causing the dendrites to be absorbed in a flat plane, causing less damage to the battery in the long-term. Again, just speculation, but interesting! We may soon find that one megawatt charging (at least for short bursts) is the best way to keep your battery happy!

By the way there was someone actually using a modified AC to charge batteries, and showing in the lab that there was an improvement in battery life. As well as in charging speed. I wonder if that's related?

• Informative
Reactions: sorka