Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An historical occasion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

stevejust

T E S L A x (≡)
Feb 15, 2010
Dallas, TX
6F65E1A6-28A2-4540-8397-80B5C27E3CBD.jpeg
I “drove” an EV-1 today...

@Matteni : There's a few that haven't been crushed. The dusty one in Atlanta near Morehouse. The one in the Petersen. The one Francis Ford Coppola stole. This one. And there's one in the Ford Museum I'm told.

@Bill_Baron : This doesn't run. It's missing 1,200 pounds of batteries. But I got to steer in, and brake it as it was moved into position to get on the trailer.

Chelsea Sexton towed it from Oklahoma to the Fully Charged Live event at the Austin Motor Speedway.

Last time I tried, I wasn't able to post videos here. But I've got video of FIVE ROADSTERS ON THE CIRCUIT OF THE AMERICAS track from this afternoon... which is... totally mind blowing, too.

There's also a Rivian pickup truck over my shoulder if you look closely.

Today was absolutely bonkers.

• Love
Reactions: RobsJester
I think as notable an occasion were the several well done ads for all-electric vehicles by Audi and GM during the Superbowl today.
And Porsche, too. I commented to my wife that we've turned a corner when EVs get a major ad placement like the Superbowl. Now, how those cars measure up to Tesla's may be another story, but it's important progress nonetheless.

We drove EV1s for five years. There were ads created for the car, but they were all esoteric imagery that did not convey what was being sold. And we never saw the ads actually shown on TV.

@slcasner :

>There were ads created for the car, but they were all esoteric imagery that did not convey what was being sold. And we never saw the ads actually shown on TV.

I actually thought the EV Hummer ad with Lebron James reminded me of this nutty ad they did for the EV-1:

That was an anti-ad. I mean, arguably just the fact that GM paid Lebron to do the ad, is enough to say they're trying. But the silence in the ad wasn't effective to me. It was sort of anti-climactic. And it was weird to have a basketball motif during the Superbowl. It just seemed like a strange jumble of mixed messages in the way they tried to advertise the EV-1.

$6 million plus whatever Lebron got paid, plus the production costs... such a weird result.

This ad for the EV-1 was much better:

Maybe we'll see a better ad for the EV Hummer one day.

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester