Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An honest review of the yoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not just Randy Probst, but the 'Ring time was with the yoke and the driver squirmed, when Misha asked about it 5:30 into this video:
He put his life on the line, to do a 7:30. If you've driven track, had the front of a car wash out, or tail snap around, imagine it being somewhere within 2.5 turns, luck-to-lock, in a split second, where you had to find grip again.

The cerebral internet is trying to make the yoke cool. This is one place the car mags are correct. The steering ratio, like in F1 cars, has to be much more progressive to avoid hand, over hand, maneuvers, going beyond 180, etc. It's consistent with Tesla impeding its drivers ability to go-manual, when it triangulates views to the center, or fumbles non-tactile GUIs whose "updates" shift functions down, away, or behind menus. He didn't cut the top off, so we could see the HUD we asked for.

Tesla could easily role all 3 & Y off its lines with yokes, if they're so great. But they need to sell those cars, not let a decade see their production/sales reach 40-50k/quarter, then drop down to ~13k.
So you’re not a fan?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
For all of the Yoke-deniers... here's a new $2,300 - $3,500 wheel for the round wheel society. ;)

"The company is working off of a regular yoke wheel and adding “the finest 3M metal structure and baltic birch plywood” to create the new shape.
Now, this obviously only “fixes” one of the major complaints about the steering wheel – its shape – and not the lack of stalk.
It still uses force touch buttons to replace the functions of the stalks, including the turn signals.
It has some other caveats, the loss of a heated steering wheel if you choose the cold weather package.
Finally, there’s also the price. Starting at $2,299, it’s far from cheap."

1642271140078.png

For all of the Yoke-deniers... here's a new $2,300 - $3,500 wheel for the round wheel society. ;)

"The company is working off of a regular yoke wheel and adding “the finest 3M metal structure and baltic birch plywood” to create the new shape.
Now, this obviously only “fixes” one of the major complaints about the steering wheel – its shape – and not the lack of stalk.
It still uses force touch buttons to replace the functions of the stalks, including the turn signals.
It has some other caveats, the loss of a heated steering wheel if you choose the cold weather package.
Finally, there’s also the price. Starting at $2,299, it’s far from cheap."

View attachment 756008
If only someone would offer a stalk and horn replacement. Then I would be happy enough living with the yoke.

I think the yoke is very good, close to great.
- drop the lock-to-lock travel a bit more
- horn to the airbag
- stop the lane change buzzing, please

Don't need stalks!

The yoke would be fantastic if it had adaptive ratios for the track or low-speed. The turn signals now are not as much a nuisance since they're not touch sensitive anymore (all buttons require pressure since an update some months back).

Bottom line after driving this car only a few thousand miles:

1.) Yoke is great on highways.
2.) Yoke is terrible on tight streets.
3.) Yoke is terrible when parallel parking.
4.) Yoke is terrible when fighting for control in Track Mode.
5.) Yoke is fine for "regular" driving streets not involving number 2.)
6.) Turn signals are fine for regular driving.
7.) Turn signals are TERRIBLE when signaling off a roundabout (like you need to do in e.g. the UK). You can't find them when the yoke is upside down or angled. I'd be amazed if this setup comes to the UK. Yoke is also terrible if you e.g. need to make an immediate turn left after a right turn (yoke all over the place).
8.) The yoke looks amazing (you already knew that).
9.) WTF, Tesla. Seriously. There should have been an option. Swapping out a wheel is so quick and easy on these cars.
10.) I can live with the yoke, but there are times it drives me insane.

Last edited:
Also, because the refresh car's exterior did absolutely nothing to make people go "oh, new car!" -- the yoke certainly helped fill the "conversation starter" void. In the product design meetings that I imagine Tesla must have had, this is why the wheel (even a stalkless wheel) wasn't even an option.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Also, because the refresh car's exterior did absolutely nothing to make people go "oh, new car!" -- the yoke certainly helped fill the "conversation starter" void. In the product design meetings that I imagine Tesla must have had, this is why the wheel (even a stalkless wheel) wasn't even an option.
You may be right on this. I was getting my 75D serviced and had a chance to walk around. I looked at the new S and thought it looks good. But it so similar to mine, it would be hard to justify getting the new one. The yoke doesn't help though. I have a nice full steering wheel with stalks and I have never had a problem with that.

The yoke would be fantastic if it had adaptive ratios for the track or low-speed. The turn signals now are not as much a nuisance since they're not touch sensitive anymore (all buttons require pressure since an update some months back).

Bottom line after driving this car only a few thousand miles:

1.) Yoke is great on highways.
2.) Yoke is terrible on tight streets.
3.) Yoke is terrible when parallel parking.
4.) Yoke is terrible when fighting for control in Track Mode.
5.) Yoke is fine for "regular" driving streets not involving number 2.)
6.) Turn signals are fine for regular driving.
7.) Turn signals are TERRIBLE when signaling off a roundabout (like you need to do in e.g. the UK). You can't find them when the yoke is upside down or angled. I'd be amazed if this setup comes to the UK. Yoke is also terrible if you e.g. need to make an immediate turn left after a right turn (yoke all over the place).
8.) The yoke looks amazing (you already knew that).
9.) WTF, Tesla. Seriously. There should have been an option. Swapping out a wheel is so quick and easy on these cars.
10.) I can live with the yoke, but there are times it drives me insane.

Not denying your opinion or experience, but after 22k miles, my experience has been quite different. Cannot agree with 2, 3, and 7. Do not know about 4 since I have the LR version. I can see your point on 9 but not an issue for me since I love the yoke. I can only imagine the truth in 10.

Reactions: Proppilot
Not denying your opinion or experience, but after 22k miles, my experience has been quite different. Cannot agree with 2, 3, and 7. Do not know about 4 since I have the LR version. I can see your point on 9 but not an issue for me since I love the yoke. I can only imagine the truth in 10.

I would truly love to see you signaling while you leave a roundabout with the yoke upside down. Video evidence! By law you have to do this in the UK, for example. Or my other example of left turn followed by right (with yoke upside down for that second turn). Truly. And for parallel parking, also, video without palming the yoke (which isn't correct driving). Video! Video! :D

I would truly love to see you signaling while you leave a roundabout with the yoke upside down. Video evidence! By law you have to do this in the UK, for example. Or my other example of left turn followed by right (with yoke upside down for that second turn). Truly. And for parallel parking, also, video without palming the yoke (which isn't correct driving). Video! Video! :D

Do not do videos. Believe me or don't - a video is not going to change your mind. I am okay with that - not trying to change your mind. Just giving out an alternate real-world experience for those that have not made up their mind.

Th only thing I question there is if the yoke is truly upside down in a rotary. How tight is this rotary? Not trying to be a d*** here but have you personally experienced this problem or just hypothesizing?

Why is palming not correct technique for parking? Not like you're going to experience a high speed crash, right?

Th only thing I question there is if the yoke is truly upside down in a rotary. How tight is this rotary? Not trying to be a d*** here but have you personally experienced this problem or just hypothesizing?

Why is palming not correct technique for parking? Not like you're going to experience a high speed crash, right?

I experience that sort of roundabout all the time in London. Was just back there and was thinking to myself - this surely can't pass the muster for UK roads.... And here in Seattle I have to signal right and then immediately left to make insta-turns after turning at lights etc. I recognize if you live in rural Minnesota, land of the flat, straight roads forever, - that this won't be an issue. But there are lots of places where this is a big issue.

And palming is just a way to get around a poor system of driving, let's be honest. Sure, it works in a pinch, but it's nowhere near as good.

Reactions: tm1v2 and croman

First video I looked at when googling Roundabout UK.
Check out some of the medium and small ones, and where he uses the turn signal.

Eg: this one the wheel turns 1.5x.

Reactions: WilliamG
First video I looked at when googling Roundabout UK.
Check out some of the medium and small ones, and where he uses the turn signal.

Eg: this one the wheel turns 1.5x.

Yep, that's constant in the UK. Roundabouts everywhere. This is not a once-in-a-blue-moon scenario. When I'm back in London my average 5-10 minute drive has me go through 5-10 roundabouts, sometimes more.

• Informative
Reactions: Dan D.
What State do you live in? That's probably a big determiner of things.

You are right in that where a person lives can be a determiner of issues. But issues can be overcome with training I feel.

I am in the midwest. Have driven quite a bit in 15 other states including a couple thousand miles in the Smoky Mountains. Drive 15-20 roundabouts per day (not required to signal but could if needed since the buttons are right at my digits). Parallel park only once or twice per month if that since I am able to avoid it most of the time (never had an issue though). Have always driven at 10 and 2 so it was easy to adjust to the yoke for me.

Would love to take this on the EVOC course and see if there is a handicap.

Not arguing that you have issues driving with it and not trying to convince you otherwise. However, you cannot convince me of issues that I have but do not really have.

Reactions: lbowroom
You are right in that where a person lives can be a determiner of issues. But issues can be overcome with training I feel.

I am in the midwest. Have driven quite a bit in 15 other states including a couple thousand miles in the Smoky Mountains. Drive 15-20 roundabouts per day (not required to signal but could if needed since the buttons are right at my digits). Parallel park only once or twice per month if that since I am able to avoid it most of the time (never had an issue though). Have always driven at 10 and 2 so it was easy to adjust to the yoke for me.

Would love to take this on the EVOC course and see if there is a handicap.

Not arguing that you have issues driving with it and not trying to convince you otherwise. However, you cannot convince me of issues that I have but do not really have.
Sure. Roundabouts in the Midwest are not like roundabouts in other places, mind (I used to live in MN). There’s no (reasonable) training you could do to overcome tighter roundabouts and signaling off them when the yoke is upside down.

Anyway, I 100% agree the yoke works for you.

Reactions: CyberGus