Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An honest review of the yoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did everyone see the Edmunds' review of the Plaid? They talked a lot about the yoke toward the end of the segment. I'll still plan to approach it with an open mind but the issues they had with it are the ones I was concerned about upfront. They have some good footage of it "in action." It was apparent it really hampered them in the situations I was the most concerned about.

Did everyone see the Edmunds' review of the Plaid? They talked a lot about the yoke toward the end of the segment. I'll still plan to approach it with an open mind but the issues they had with it are the ones I was concerned about upfront. They have some good footage of it "in action." It was apparent it really hampered them in the situations I was the most concerned about.

Another paid by Tesla haters article. Boohoo

He was intentionally exaggerating the steering motions. 👎

I believe in not shooting the messenger. even though I can't stand their presenter in this video. I am not a Tesla Stan but I do appreciate a lot of the things Tesla offers. I have an MS LR on order. I haven't driven a Plaid yet so I can't comment specifically on the Plaid specific content. I disagree with some things Edmund's said, and maybe didn't drive it enough in enough variety of driving conditions, however I do think they made some cogent points. Especially regarding the yoke, FSD and interior trim.

Really the yoke is an answer to a question nobody was asking. It doesn't solve for anything and I think it takes away from a lot of things. Pushing the envelope can be good, but you can also push so far you break it. I still think the yoke can be an issue in emergency situations. The longer you've driven, the more it is likely to be an issue with your muscle memory. The car should adapt to me, not me to the car all the time when it comes to basic controls. Let me guess, Tesla will remove the brake pedal because their logging says we use it even less than passenger lumbar support on the 3/Y. Who needs an accelerator pedal either. The camera will just gauge how much acceleration by the in-car camera watching your face. If it sees abject terror, it will slow down.

I still hate the display being off-center on my MY. I've adapted to it, but still hate it. Absolutely NO benefit to me as a driver. I still hate having so many things done solely by touch screen. Lose the display, you lose the controls. I have to look away to find them. Not something I can easily do with muscle memory. This is distracting, unsafe and a stupid design decision. I hated it on a Ford we had with Mytouch and while better in the MY, it still isn't as good as having buttons, knobs, switches, etc. with tactile feedback and are in a place you can find/feel without looking at them.

If the car was truly FSD, some of these things wouldn't be such an issue but it is a LONG way from getting to that level of autonomy. I have yet to see anyone present a compelling argument to why the yoke is better overall than a wheel in the Model S.

I believe in not shooting the messenger. even though I can't stand their presenter in this video. I am not a Tesla Stan but I do appreciate a lot of the things Tesla offers. I have an MS LR on order. I haven't driven a Plaid yet so I can't comment specifically on the Plaid specific content. I disagree with some things Edmund's said, and maybe didn't drive it enough in enough variety of driving conditions, however I do think they made some cogent points. Especially regarding the yoke, FSD and interior trim.

Really the yoke is an answer to a question nobody was asking. It doesn't solve for anything and I think it takes away from a lot of things. Pushing the envelope can be good, but you can also push so far you break it. I still think the yoke can be an issue in emergency situations. The longer you've driven, the more it is likely to be an issue with your muscle memory. The car should adapt to me, not me to the car all the time when it comes to basic controls. Let me guess, Tesla will remove the brake pedal because their logging says we use it even less than passenger lumbar support on the 3/Y. Who needs an accelerator pedal either. The camera will just gauge how much acceleration by the in-car camera watching your face. If it sees abject terror, it will slow down.

I still hate the display being off-center on my MY. I've adapted to it, but still hate it. Absolutely NO benefit to me as a driver. I still hate having so many things done solely by touch screen. Lose the display, you lose the controls. I have to look away to find them. Not something I can easily do with muscle memory. This is distracting, unsafe and a stupid design decision. I hated it on a Ford we had with Mytouch and while better in the MY, it still isn't as good as having buttons, knobs, switches, etc. with tactile feedback and are in a place you can find/feel without looking at them.

If the car was truly FSD, some of these things wouldn't be such an issue but it is a LONG way from getting to that level of autonomy. I have yet to see anyone present a compelling argument to why the yoke is better overall than a wheel in the Model S.

As far as the yoke goes, there’s no compelling argument other than it looks good. Here’s the thing: I spent a fortune on my car but I’m not going to go around praising poor decisions. I also wonder if the yoke is purposefully there to make it harder to steer when accelerating to prevent the driver getting into trouble.

Tesla made a mistake with the yoke. You know it, I know it - and while I absolutely appreciate not having the top of the steering wheel in my eyeline, it comes at a massive cost. And the turn signal button are rubbish. 1100 miles in after 5 weeks and I still have to look down to find them often.

As you said, an answer to a question nobody was asking. You give people a questionnaire some years back on what they want to see on the new Model S, nobody is saying a yoke.

You make a great point on the touch controls. It is very distracting to have to look at something and touch for everything. In my BMW 5, I can used HUD/controls to change stations and with everything else I can change things just by touching buttons and not even looking as it is so simple.

Reactions: DayTrippin

Hate is a strong word my friend. I would use “Don’t like”.

Reactions: DayTrippin
Yoke form factor is fine to me.
No stalks is fine to me.

What's not fine are (1) capacitive buttons instead of proper clicky buttons, and (2) horn-as-button instead of far more natural airbag press. If they just addressed those two problems with a "yoke v2" (available as an "upgrade" over the app, even though it would require a mobile service call), it would be an insta-buy for me.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
... I also wonder if the yoke is purposefully there to make it harder to steer when accelerating to prevent the driver getting into trouble. ...
I was also wondering the same thing. This is a heavy car with overwhelming amount of power. Straight is easier, than trying to manage this in a curve.
I watched all of that video, and he makes _some_ good points. I am not sure on icy/snowy.
I also watched the MKBHD take on yoke, and race driver takes on the yoke. My take-away was for regular driving, it is fine, but if you enjoy twisty roads, controlled slides - that is where you'd be infuriated.
I am really trying to adjust my steering from 10 and 2 to 9 and 3, and I don't like driving in straights, and positively hate roundabouts at any beyond grandmotherly speeds.

Reactions: cwanja and WilliamG
i think they were inspired by the F1 steering wheels. i personally like it, though it took a bit to get used to. The guy in the video has a very short shelf life, but made some valid points. Having owned both an M5 and E63s in the last few years, I would put handling at par between the cars. anyone who has ever tried to turn a 11 second car into a low 9s car knows it takes a lots Of money as drivability and reliability suffer accordingly with considerable down time baked in.

Will put some insight into this. Been driving the MS LR. I like the yoke, I got used to it. It’s tricky when it comes to those turns you have to make when a u turn doesn’t go smoothly and you have to back up and go forward again. It’s really beyond my understanding why there isn’t a quick physical option for PDRN etc.

Will put some insight into this. Been driving the MS LR. I like the yoke, I got used to it. It’s tricky when it comes to those turns you have to make when a u turn doesn’t go smoothly and you have to back up and go forward again. It’s really beyond my understanding why there isn’t a quick physical option for PDRN etc.

There is.

It's still touch.

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 1.58.56 PM.png