Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An honest review of the yoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don’t need to find the horn button to use it, you can just put your entire hand over all the buttons of the right side, just like if you pushed the traditional centre cover. It works exactly the same except that it is a bit on the right. Doesn’t seems to be a big deal here.
Regarding the shift backward thing in case of emergency, well, I don’t think using the stalk is going to make it quick enough all the time anyway, plus you have to check in your mirror to see if you are not going to hit a pregnant lady right behind you. If you want to solve such situation, ask Elon to implement an feature that would automatically detect potential collision and back off the « only if » there is no obstacle behind..
Think out of the box and try to see the big picture, if you think Tesla engineers are doing such bold moves just because it « looks cool », you have it wrong.
That’s great and all, but stil trying to understand the ADVANTAGE OR BENEFIT of removing ability to honk horn via airbag vs hand over multiple buttons on a side of the wheel (that changes depending on which way wheel is turned and that appears to inadvertently activate the wipers as you blow the horn with hand palm)

Can you quote the post where omarsultan said the COMBO of yoke/no stalks/inability to blow horn via airbag is BETTER? I can’t find it..
Ask him, not me. Anyway, the phrasing of your 'question' shows your views. Obviously, some people will not ever like departing from a round staring wheel, jut as others hated the less-than-perfectly-round versions of the decades past. I'm not trying to convince anyone. I am stating my own preferences.
Given the sometimes acrimonious reactions I think it might be wise to have a round wheel option for those unable or unwilling to adapt to something a little bit different.

As fro the horn, it really is not hard to use it. However anything that keep people more able to make loud noises than avoiding the risk occasioned by the horn is a positive for me. FWIW, years ago Rio de Janeiro was plagued by endless horn honking of busses. Then the city forced the horn to be disabled on busses. Howls of disapproval and allegations of new accidents were heard. After, no more accidents happened by the city was much less noisy. It would not bother me were horns to be removed entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don’t need to find the horn button to use it, you can just put your entire hand over all the buttons of the right side
But it’s not “the right side” — it’s wherever the right spoke happens to be. Try covering it with your hand during a tight turn! The reason horns belong on the center hub is that the center is always in the center. The new horn ‘button’ placement is utter trash.

Ask him, not me.
LOL. I asked you because you are the one that stated the he made, such a claim. Yet I see no such post by him.
Also, im assuming there is a reason why a professional race car driver...went to the effort of REMOVING the yoke, before he made the big race up pikes peak. (lots of tight turns...)

LoL Are you trying convince us that yokes are bad? I would say it’s preference thing. Some will adapt and be just fine others will prefer what they used to. No need to make bold claims about safety. I think Tesla should make yoke standard for plaid but make it as paid option for LR. Problem solved. But also if we were forced to have what people prefer and used to we would have some lame tech still all around us.

Let us know how much ambiguity you perceive when you’re unfortunate enough to need the horn, in an emergency, while your yoke is turned 135°, e.g.: when rounding a tight turn in a parking lot, and someone starts aggressively backing out who clearly can’t see you / isn’t looking. (Be sure to remember you can’t reverse quickly because the ‘shifter’ stalk no longer exists either, and placing that operation on screen slows it down by an order of magnitude.)
Wow, in 35 years of driving I’ve never been ambushed in a parking garage. Maybe it’s because I pay attention when I drive. In this scenario are you you like whipping around 40mph not letting people back out because you have “the right of way”?

Do you contend that reaching down to the center console for the shifter, pressing the side button with your thumb and moving it forward in most vehicles is faster than flicking the screen? Race you anytime.

Wow, in 35 years of driving I’ve never been ambushed in a parking garage. Maybe it’s because I pay attention when I drive. In this scenario are you you like whipping around 40mph not letting people back out because you have “the right of way”?

Do you contend that reaching down to the center console for the shifter, pressing the side button with your thumb and moving it forward in most vehicles is faster than flicking the screen? Race you anytime.
1) This has never happen to you, so you accuse me of being a reckless, inconsiderate driver? Not cool.

2) I simply contend that the new way of selecting direction (on screen) in a Model S is inferior to the old way (physical stalk.)

The yoke is a joke... a terrible, awful joke Musk is playing on people willing to part with $100k+. Musk shows an especially acute disdain for his high end customers. Check out this Edmund's review and how dangerous it is to drive curves and switchbacks with a rectangle. Most everything in this review is on-point and totally valid to anyone who isn't a fanboy and koolaid drinker.

This damn $130,000 car doesn't even have a performance suspension... wow. At least the P85+ had a suspension to match its performance. Edmund's is 100% correct in declaring the Plaid good for straight line performance but little else.

The yoke is a joke... a terrible, awful joke Musk is playing on people willing to part with $100k+. Musk shows an especially acute disdain for his high end customers. Check out this Edmund's review and how dangerous it is to drive curves and switchbacks with a rectangle. Most everything in this review is on-point and totally valid to anyone who isn't a fanboy and koolaid drinker.

This damn $130,000 car doesn't even have a performance suspension... wow. At least the P85+ had a suspension to match its performance. Edmund's is 100% correct in declaring the Plaid good for straight line performance but little else.
Nonsense, the suspension is much improved over the previous. See recent world record Nürburgring run.

1) This has never happen to you, so you accuse me of being a reckless, inconsiderate driver? Not cool.

2) I simply contend that the new way of selecting direction (on screen) in a Model S is inferior to the old way (physical stalk.)
Your fabricated hypothetical dangerous situation is entertaining, nothing else. Sounds super scary. In this imaginary scenario are cars parked in the corners of the area we are making this hairpin turn while at full lock where simply stopping won't avoid a life ending collision?

Are all cars except Tesla and Mercedes dangerous to drive because they don't have stalk shifters?

That’s great and all, but stil trying to understand the ADVANTAGE OR BENEFIT of removing ability to honk horn via airbag vs hand over multiple buttons on a side of the wheel (that changes depending on which way wheel is turned and that appears to inadvertently activate the wipers as you blow the horn with hand palm)
Honestly I’m not fully sure why about that particular feature, but what I know is that when I learnt driving, I’ve been taught to « keep my hands on the steering wheel » all the time, which is, when you think a bit about it, contradictory with the usage of stalks, gear shifting sticks, turn signal, and honks in traditional cars..
So having this in mind, there is a possibility that once we will get use to it, we will be able to use the « honk » with a button while also be able to turn the yoke with both hands on it in an emergency situation. Using the full hand on all button is probably a transitioning solution while we have to adapt our muscle memory.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS

Edmunds tried to prove that the yoke is not working by trying to drift it on a race track.. well, this is completely BS, and it exactly proves the opposite : if they can’t prove it in the driving conditions the car is designed for (remember this is a sedan, juste like an Audi RS6, so it’s playground is closer to « German autobahn » than drifting in a parking lot like in Fast and furious Tokyo drift), it means that it actually works but they don’t admit it.

I’m about 500 mile into my MSLR, and while I’m surprised to say it after reading these threads for months, I love the yoke and might actually prefer it. The only real con I have is the turn signals are occasionally activated accidentally. I find that to be far outweighed by how nice it is to look at an unobstructed view of the driver’s display and the windshield though. Maybe it’s just the way I drive, but it took less than 10 minutes to get used to and I’ve yet to handle a turning situation within the city that made turning tough. One more positive is that I find it much more comfortable on autopilot and easier to keep the wheel engaged (i.e, avoiding the nag) than the wheel on my old Model 3. Plus, it’s just really fricking fun to drive. (I also don’t mind the on-screen shifting at all.)

Not sure just how much of a minority opinion mine is, but for those awaiting delivery, don’t put too much credence into the negatives on this board, especially from those who haven’t driven one yet. It’s easy to get spun-up into worrying about not liking a thing, even though there’s a chance you might really end up enjoying it.

Ill chime in as well...having driven the car now for 3 months, the yoke overall is not a problem, but I also dont really see the need. Sure yes you can see the instrument cluster better, but thats more of a perk than a necessity. It does certainly look cool and futuristic and I like the side and bottom shape, it makes it easy for Autopilot driving for just resting your hand on the wheel vs a more conventional wheel.

The only real gripe I have with is it the horn...that to me was the most idiotic and unnecessary change. I get the stalks and all that, and that really doesn't bother me, but the horn, why change that? I also got in an accident a couple weeks back by a truck merging into my lane and my first reaction was to hit the airbag to get the horn, which of course didnt do anything, so I slammed on the brakes and he missed me by inches while still merging into my lane...obviously never checked his blind stop and had no idea my car was in the lane next to him. I didnt have time to look down and try to locate the horn button and carefully press it, he would have hit my driver side fender by the time all that happened.

Last edited: