Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An honest review of the yoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my Yoke and it is easy to drive. I don't know why people are having such a hard time! I mean.....it is not that hard. :rolleyes:
Not hard necessarily, but some people such as myself find it annoying despite "getting used it".

I much prefer a round wheel for driving on city streets, despite losing a tiny bit of visibility to the dash screen.

And for tracking on a closed circuit, it's an absolute must. Don't take my word for it, as professionals such as Randy Pobst and Blake Fuller.

I also would prefer a wheel over the yoke in my '22 MSLR. A few weeks back a tech was out to the house to reinstall the door weather strip that was delivered hanging out of the door. While he was here I asked him what was happening with the yoke and he matter-of-factly stated that the factory was working on a steering wheel retrofit for those that wanted one. Has anybody heard anything similar or know if this is in fact the case?

Thanks,
Marc

I believe you, but I don’t believe the tech: Tesla need not “work on a retrofit,” the stalks, wheel, and steering column shrouds from Model 3/Y are interchangeable. All Tesla needs do is enable the software codes to recognize the wheel and stalks—but they’re obviously too proud / stubborn / arrogant to do so, or they could have easily done it already.

To be clear, the yoke isn’t even the worst of it: the awful haptics, on screen ‘shifting’, the indefensibly stupid horn ‘button’, and missing functions compared to the outgoing car were all caused by the idiotic and ergonomically ignorant deletion of multi-function physical stalks—simply swapping to a round wheel wouldn’t fix enough.

But I’ll order a new S at once if they just software enable the freaking wheel and stalks from the 3/Y—don’t they want more of my money LOL?!

Needs a real yoke sticking out of the dash. Then us complainers will buy one.

1651807138069.png

To be clear, the yoke isn’t even the worst of it: the awful haptics, on screen ‘shifting’, the indefensibly stupid horn ‘button’, and missing functions compared to the outgoing car were all caused by the idiotic and ergonomically ignorant deletion of multi-function physical stalks—simply swapping to a round wheel wouldn’t fix enough.
Highlights and text removal are my edits. This is the main reason why I haven't replaced the yoke with a wheel and moved on so to speak.

Cruising down the interstate I have no major issues with the yoke. Personally, I prefer a 10&2 hand position than a 9&3 but I can live with it. I do think the yoke is wider than it needed to be which makes it even worse to use once turned past about 90°. They should have taken the time if using the yoke to go with variable ratio power steering.

As much as I like my S, by the time Teslas fixes this, there might be other companies worth considering.

I've been doing that and the one finger spoke turns. It works fine. I'm used to the yoke now. Would I still peter a regular wheel and stalks? Yes.

Worst thing about the yoke now is what it has done to my control behavior with other cars. I'm missing turns on the round wheels where I'm fine with the yoke. I keep reaching for turn signal buttons on the Prius and Lexus only to find I have to use the damn stalks that I now have to reach for when my fingers were already on the left side of the steering wheel.

No I'm not a fan boy, and I was determined to hate the yoke. I was POSITIVE that I'd never get used to it let alone actually like it. My world has been turned upside down:confused:

....and this is with 500 miles on the odometer.

Worst thing about the yoke now is what it has done to my control behavior with other cars. I'm missing turns on the round wheels where I'm fine with the yoke. I keep reaching for turn signal buttons on the Prius and Lexus only to find I have to use the damn stalks that I now have to reach for when my fingers were already on the left side of the steering wheel.

No I'm not a fan boy, and I was determined to hate the yoke. I was POSITIVE that I'd never get used to it let alone actually like it. My world has been turned upside down:confused:

....and this is with 500 miles on the odometer.
I’m with you. It’s amazing what the human mind can accustom itself to and adapt itself to. Still want a center airbag horn button however.

I am pretty much used to the yoke. I also drive GF's P100D and it is not a smooth transition.

IMO the worst part is the turn signals are not left/right, they are up/down, just plain stupid. Heat controls are also wrong, left/right and not up/down.
Controls should be positioned to make sense. Ever seen a light control with clockwise to dim?

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I am pretty much used to the yoke. I also drive GF's P100D and it is not a smooth transition.

IMO the worst part is the turn signals are not left/right, they are up/down, just plain stupid. Heat controls are also wrong, left/right and not up/down.
Controls should be positioned to make sense. Ever seen a light control with clockwise to dim?

Don't the stalks go up and down?

Don't the stalks go up and down?

I am not a huge fan of the turn signal buttons, but their placement is logical

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
A quote from that article "
Every Tesla Plaid owner that I’ve spoken with said that switching from the traditional steering wheel to the yoke was pretty smooth."

Obviously, she hasn't talked to anyone on this forum. :)

A quote from that article "
Every Tesla Plaid owner that I’ve spoken with said that switching from the traditional steering wheel to the yoke was pretty smooth."

Obviously, she hasn't talked to anyone on this forum. :)

Or she did talk to this forum and just took the drama for what it is...

There’s like 3 people on here who really really hate the yoke and will not assimilate. They are very vocal and claim they speak for everyone. They assert any other position is a flat out lie by Tesla shills.
I hate the yoke. I don’t know that I’m “very vocal.” I’ve never claimed to speak for anyone but me. And, I don’t think I’ve ever said another’s views are a lie. Sooo…

I hate the yoke. I don’t know that I’m “very vocal.” I’ve never claimed to speak for anyone but me. And, I don’t think I’ve ever said another’s views are a lie. Sooo…
I've managed to get used to it enough that it hasn't caused any accidents yet, but I think it's stupid. I hate the on screen drive selector and using the scroll wheel to enable/disable autopilot even more. If Tesla ever offers a wheel/stalks aftermarket option I'll put my order in immediately.