Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An honest take on Tesla / the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went back and forth about posting this, but I think I need to put it out there for others that might in a similar position to where I was. Coming from a string of luxury performance vehicles, I was pining for something different and ultimately landed on the MYP. The looks, utility, and power really had me excited for ownership (and still do to a degree). I ordered my MYP last quarter and before I knew it, I was there to pick up my car. Unfortunately, that car came with a litany of issues: misaligned panels, missing interior trim, a dent in the fender, etc.

Figuring it was just a bad egg, I rejected the car and went back in the queue for another, despite knowing that even if perfect, the quality of materials and craftsmanship was still a notch below where it should be for a car of this magnitude. Fast forward a bit, and I've been assigned a new VIN, the day before delivery, I received a call from the service center stating that there was a dent on the car that needed to be fixed and delivery would be delayed by a few days. A bit off-putting, but hey at least they identified the issue. So, the delivery day finally arrives and to my horror, the dent was still there (either not fixed at all or a poor attempt). One of the wheels was also badly curbed and looked like they attempted to fix it with touchup paint. At this point, I rejected the car and decided to move on from Tesla for now.

Now I know many will say that I should have just accepted it and had Tesla "fix" the issues (which is totally wrong) or perhaps that they received perfect cars, which I'm sure is the case for some. But again, as a sharp growth company that is pricing their vehicles well into luxury territory, the QC and fit and finish is just unacceptable. I've never once seen anything approximating this on the BMW or Mercedes that I've owned, so there has to be a critical step they are missing here. Maybe it's just the fact that the cheaper materials they use are less resilient? I don't know, as that's above my pay grade, but I'd sure love to find out.

I know many here will try and crucify me for "bashing" Tesla, but that's truly not my intent here. I'm more so writing this out of disappointment and to implore others not to accept "good enough" on their ~60-70k cars. I really hope to revisit Tesla a few years down the road again, but until the masses put their foot down and start rejecting these sub-par delivery subjects (where applicable), then I fear this will be status quo for some time.

Again, I hope to see you all again in the future and to be a part of this brand with a revived sense of QC and better materials, but until then it is back to the luxury marquees that actually care about their customers.

I returned my MY last year after owning it for just 4 days because of quality issues (back when their 7-day return policy was still in effect). Told myself that I would wait a year before I would entertain the idea of purchasing it again, hoping that bugs would have been worked out. Well, its been a year now and it seems as nothing really has improved much.

More and more other EV options are coming out so I'll wait for those.

Like zecar stated above my MY picked up in Jan of 21 was in excellent condition. Also I have a friend who got his MY in Dec of 20 and his is also flawless.

I think that experience is dependent upon delivery / SC you go to.

I have owned a litany of luxury cars but the same issues can happen at any other dealer. Actually related to damage prior to delivery I think Tesla does a better job letting us kno the issue then allowing you the choice. Other dealers are not required to disclose damage unless it’s $10k or more....

I have had multiple cars ordered at other dealers with $6k in damage prior to delivery.

Think you were right to reject. The dents to me is more about the transport than the assembly, possibly. Not sure if I'd have tried for a third time. Also, coming from a family of dealership owners, while there is certainly more hand holding with a dealer, the reason for that is for a future sale. Also, when buying a Tesla it was nice not having to sit in the box with the F&I manager. There's pros and cons to a dealer or not, similar to having an insurance agent vs. GEICO. Tesla's style of service is certainly more for people who are comfortable using apps, etc. to deal with things. It isn't for the 80 year old lady who never used a smart phone.

Reactions: house9 and Eric9610
I keep hearing about pricing themselves into luxury territory or cost the same as a luxury vehicle. Although the price is there, the batteries/power and technology is what makes this car cost money. One could go with an Audi or other German make however the price will be much more, performance not on par and technology lagging but my oh my the interior appointments will be everything you ever wanted. Tesla has defined luxury differently and honestly I like it this way. Simple car, easy to clean and maintain, goes like a bat out of hell and just feels great in every respect.

As for this issues you had, should not be happening and no excuse for that. In time things will change, the teething pains are still there but getting less as time goes on.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with Tesla problem at delivery.

I'm in an area that doesn't yet have Tesla shop where I can inspect the car I'm buying before I commit. That's what is making me wait until Tesla sets up shop in the Halifax/Dartmouth area. There's always a chance the car delivered will have major issues that I don't want to live with. The 7 day policy was a good one and if we still had it, I'd be a Tesla owner today.

Reactions: z335is
from the looks of my profile pic - you may think im a fanboy at all costs... Not true - and you did the right thing. Tesla must start delivering quality with other manufacturers ramping up. Right now - they are almost the only show in town -- in the future - they will have a slight edge with software - but they will get crushed with fit and finish and 'luxury' amenities. I would absolutely refuse deliver with dents and curb rash - you are paying good money - nothing like that should be repaired.

Reactions: house9 and z335is
I went back and forth about posting this, but I think I need to put it out there for others that might in a similar position to where I was. Coming from a string of luxury performance vehicles, I was pining for something different and ultimately landed on the MYP. The looks, utility, and power really had me excited for ownership (and still do to a degree). I ordered my MYP last quarter and before I knew it, I was there to pick up my car. Unfortunately, that car came with a litany of issues: misaligned panels, missing interior trim, a dent in the fender, etc.

Figuring it was just a bad egg, I rejected the car and went back in the queue for another, despite knowing that even if perfect, the quality of materials and craftsmanship was still a notch below where it should be for a car of this magnitude. Fast forward a bit, and I've been assigned a new VIN, the day before delivery, I received a call from the service center stating that there was a dent on the car that needed to be fixed and delivery would be delayed by a few days. A bit off-putting, but hey at least they identified the issue. So, the delivery day finally arrives and to my horror, the dent was still there (either not fixed at all or a poor attempt). One of the wheels was also badly curbed and looked like they attempted to fix it with touchup paint. At this point, I rejected the car and decided to move on from Tesla for now.

Now I know many will say that I should have just accepted it and had Tesla "fix" the issues (which is totally wrong) or perhaps that they received perfect cars, which I'm sure is the case for some. But again, as a sharp growth company that is pricing their vehicles well into luxury territory, the QC and fit and finish is just unacceptable. I've never once seen anything approximating this on the BMW or Mercedes that I've owned, so there has to be a critical step they are missing here. Maybe it's just the fact that the cheaper materials they use are less resilient? I don't know, as that's above my pay grade, but I'd sure love to find out.

I know many here will try and crucify me for "bashing" Tesla, but that's truly not my intent here. I'm more so writing this out of disappointment and to implore others not to accept "good enough" on their ~60-70k cars. I really hope to revisit Tesla a few years down the road again, but until the masses put their foot down and start rejecting these sub-par delivery subjects (where applicable), then I fear this will be status quo for some time.

Again, I hope to see you all again in the future and to be a part of this brand with a revived sense of QC and better materials, but until then it is back to the luxury marquees that actually care about their customers.

just saying, this story sure sound similar to and penned in the same style as a person from the Tesla forum who was tagged as a troll. May be wrong if so sorry, just super feeling of deja vue

Reactions: CLK350
just saying, this story sure sound similar to and penned in the same style as a person from the Tesla forum who was tagged as a troll. May be wrong if so sorry, just super feeling of deja vue
Not even a member of that forum and have no reason to troll. I actually really like Tesla and hope to revisit them again in three years when my lease is up. They just have some major work to do 👍

Some good points here. Coming from nothing but Audi’s over the last 4 cars/12 years before I got my MY I can understand why this is such a hot subject. Tesla is not like any other car (company). The QC issues will get better. The customer service will get better. Is a MYP with today’s issues worth the $60k-$70? It’s subjective. If you want an “Audi” interior then definitely not. If you want a fast car with almost zero service and never the need to pull into a gas station? Or a car 10-20 years into the future technology wise? Then yes, it’s worth every penny. Either way, the German luxury cars have different issues. Nobody loves their BMW or Audi the way Tesla people love their cars. That’s saying something I think.
Pull the trigger and get your MYP. Just enjoy it.

I also think the quality has improved, at least from the factory. My 2/14 build was great. I did recently find a very small overlap between the front fender and front bumper. If I have other things to schedule a service visit for, I might point it out and see what they could do. But it’s really hard to see so no biggie for me.

Reactions: Eric9610
I picked up my Tesla Y in late January and just assumed it was perfect because, y'know, Tesla. Only when I started reading the forums did I learn of the fit and finish problems reported by many. I guess I got lucky– the paint is perfect and the panels all line up. I will admit I was surprised at the cheesy faux wood dashboard that reminded my of our family's 1970's station wagon. But what really matters to me is the reliability and performance of the car and so far I am REALLY impressed.

So where are the pics?

Attachments

• 79F9F540-476E-4548-934F-74457E69D075.jpeg
    79F9F540-476E-4548-934F-74457E69D075.jpeg
    355.3 KB · Views: 114
I had a somewhat similar experience with Tesla... Coming from a few BMW M3s, I was somewhat shocked by the fit and finish and some of the flimsy materials used. The rudiments are certainly in place though for something great.

I have to think that all of this will improve once the Austin plant opens and they start using the revised/improved frame stamping, etc from Berlin.

Last edited: