Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An honest take on Tesla / the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some SCs are clearly better than others. My 12/20 build had some minor cosmetic issues which were immediately taken care of before I drove it away.
More of a concern has been the issues I have had to take it back to the SC for - cabin heat failure (common) and steering wheel control module replacement (not common). Seeing reports now of model Y's "bricking" - simply shutting down while on the road - and hoping that doesn't happen.

Buying/owning a Tesla is definitely a different experience. It's a great car in many respects but you have to be willing to tolerate some issues.

Some good points here. Coming from nothing but Audi’s over the last 4 cars/12 years before I got my MY I can understand why this is such a hot subject. Tesla is not like any other car (company). The QC issues will get better. The customer service will get better. Is a MYP with today’s issues worth the $60k-$70? It’s subjective. If you want an “Audi” interior then definitely not. If you want a fast car with almost zero service and never the need to pull into a gas station? Or a car 10-20 years into the future technology wise? Then yes, it’s worth every penny. Either way, the German luxury cars have different issues. Nobody loves their BMW or Audi the way Tesla people love their cars. That’s saying something I think.
Pull the trigger and get your MYP. Just enjoy it.
I had a new Audi A6 for over a month and HATED it, compared to my Prius Prime...it didnt even have adaptive cruise control. It had various electrical light issues and only had like 10k miles on it. From actual experience pre Tesla I would say: Toyota, Kia are good. Ford, Honda, Audi/VW BAD.

I flat told my SA in plain text email "any cosmetic issues that can not be corrected at time of delivery will cause an instant vehicle rejection". Luckily my Nov (2021 Model Year) MY was perfect when delivered.

We just picked up my daughter's Red LR/AWD M3 one month ago and the paint/finish on it is spectacular. When we brought it to the PPF guy.. he was really happily surprised how much better the paint was then on older Tesla's he wrapped.

Unfortunately, even if the car is perfect from the plant, a lot depends on the transport clowns... they seem to always have dirty hands and are really rough on the vehicles in general. They seem to cause problems that were not present when the vehicle left the assembly line.

Reactions: house9 and z335is
Auto interiors are very personal. While some will embrace natural wood and find phony carbon fiber or metal offensive, others will see it exactly the other way around.

We often see posts from owners wanting to swap one interior for another. Each are unhappy with what they got and want what the other does not want.

I flat told my SA in plain text email "any cosmetic issues that can not be corrected at time of delivery will cause an instant vehicle rejection". Luckily my Nov (2021 Model Year) MY was perfect when delivered.

We just picked up my daughter's Red LR/AWD M3 one month ago and the paint/finish on it is spectacular. When we brought it to the PPF guy.. he was really happily surprised how much better the paint was then on older Tesla's he wrapped.

Unfortunately, even if the car is perfect from the plant, a lot depends on the transport clowns... they seem to always have dirty hands and are really rough on the vehicles in general. They seem to cause problems that were not present when the vehicle left the assembly line.
I made my SA and SC guys aware of the same sentiment, prior to delivery: I would be going over the car very carefully prior to accepting. I guess they took me seriously, as there were no issues. The car was flawless, paint spectacular...the shop that did my ceramic, like your's NY_Rob, was pleased at the red paint quality.

Steering column was replaced around 2.5k miles, because of excessive side/side movement. Quick in/out job.

Threeputt: "bricking"? Where are you seeing reports? There's a thread going here, with 2 or 3 have had similar failures, but I've not heard/read about it being a fleetwide problem.

HVAC failures? Yes, Tesla has created a "Service Bulletin" about this, but it's still unknown if it's a specific VIN run that have failed, or if it's a problem we'll all need to deal with. Number of failures unknown. Failures mostly in cold climates.

Auto interiors are very personal. While some will embrace natural wood and find phony carbon fiber or metal offensive, others will see it exactly the other way around.

We often see posts from owners wanting to swap one interior for another. Each are unhappy with what they got and want what the other does not want.
Yeah i HATE wood, except like dark cherrywood or gray...but would leave that to a house lol. This color isn't bad, but i will likely replace....I really wish they had painted lower plastic on the outside of car though. My Prime did and it looks WAY better.

I returned my MY last year after owning it for just 4 days because of quality issues (back when their 7-day return policy was still in effect). Told myself that I would wait a year before I would entertain the idea of purchasing it again, hoping that bugs would have been worked out. Well, its been a year now and it seems as nothing really has improved much.

More and more other EV options are coming out so I'll wait for those.
Your last sentence is the most salient. Does anyone expect the VW ID.4 (which is significantly cheaper than the MY) to have these issues, much less upcoming competition in the same price range from Mercedes, Audi, etc? Not to mention an eventual wider range of available charging stations, CarPlay instead of first party only nav and streaming options, shared technology, etc. Tesla needs to transition from scrappy startup mode, quickly.

Your last sentence is the most salient. Does anyone expect the VW ID.4 (which is significantly cheaper than the MY) to have these issues, much less upcoming competition in the same price range from Mercedes, Audi, etc? Not to mention an eventual wider range of available charging stations, CarPlay instead of first party only nav and streaming options, shared technology, etc. Tesla needs to transition from scrappy startup mode, quickly.
So buy an ID.4 or wait for another one from another manufacturer.

I had a somewhat similar experience with Tesla... Coming from a few BMW M3s, I was somewhat shocked by the fit and finish and some of the flimsy materials used. The rudiments are certainly in place though for something great.

I have to think that all of this will improve once the Austin plant opens and they start using the revised/improved frame stamping, etc from Berlin.
The only true motivator for change, is in the loss of market share as True luxury automakers create price competitive cars with expected luxury components and delivery day QC.

If the competition can deliver a better car, and better delivery experience, Tesla will be forced to adapt.

Fleetwide certainly not, but any serious issue with more than one report is going to get my attention after having to bring it in twice in the first 3 months of ownership.
Tesla sold 185k + cars in the 1st quarter, 2021. More than one report? Two? Five? Seventeen?

"Bricking" is not acceptable, for sure, I agree with you, especially if you on the "bricked" Tesla. 185,000 is a lot of cars, and "...more than one report..." isn't going to get MY attention!

• Disagree
Reactions: z335is
Tesla sold 185k + cars in the 1st quarter, 2021. More than one report? Two? Five? Seventeen?

"Bricking" is not acceptable, for sure, I agree with you, especially if you on the "bricked" Tesla. 185,000 is a lot of cars, and "...more than one report..." isn't going to get MY attention!
It gets mine because that's the same way the heater failure reports appeared, one then another then another, all initially dismissed as overreactions. Now I suspect this issue will be like my turn signals not working, not common and something easily fixed. It doesn't mean I'm going to stop driving the car, it just means I'm watching to see how prevalent it is.

Yea I still own TSLA and love tesla. However I moved on to Audi Q3 which I think is a excellent car for the price. I have a bad back and my little children can use better suspension On Q3. IMO Q3 has very good adaptive cruise control as well.
The Q3 is an excellent car for its price. Very well said. Audi does a great job of including “their sauce” on the A3/Q3 - something BMW could learn from. When I see a BMW 2 series I can’t help but think about how much that car screams “I’m driving the cheapest BMW!!” The former 1 series was even worse. Audi’s entry level cars don’t do this. It’s often hard to distinguish between lower and mid grade models with them. Plus Quattro is worth every penny and the fact that it’s offered in the A3/Q3 (although it’s a different Haldex style - not what they put on the A4 and up) is a huge bonus. I will always have a spot for Audi in my garage.

I had a new Audi A6 for over a month and HATED it, compared to my Prius Prime...it didnt even have adaptive cruise control. It had various electrical light issues and only had like 10k miles on it. From actual experience pre Tesla I would say: Toyota, Kia are good. Ford, Honda, Audi/VW BAD.
With all do respect, you need to get Audi’s Prestige trim in order to compare the A6 (technology wise). Otherwise it’s just a bigger A4.

Reactions: omegafiler
I received my MYP the end of March 2021. Received it 3 days after I ordered it! It didn’t have far to go as I live 20 miles from the factory. But still I was shocked at how fast. It took longer to get the Homelink kit than the car. And I ordered them at the same time. I had heard of all the quality issues. Mine was perfect. Now I haven’t gone over every seam with a ruler but aside from a few scuff marks on the inside door panels all was good.

Reactions: Super Dave