Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An MCU1 to MCU2 Upgrade might be REALLY worth it

Would you upgrade to MCU2?

• Yes - There's a lot of value there

Votes: 127 85.8%
  • No - It doesn't matter

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • No - I don't care

Votes: 9 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dragonxt

Oct 26, 2016
Bay Area
The difference in updates I'm getting vs my MCU1 Model X and MCU2 Model 3 is enormous. MCU 1 came with a lot of disadvantages aside from speed. Software support mainly being an issue. I get a lot more updates for my Model 3 compared to the X.

My X also doesn't have those fancy Vector Map animations vs the 3 etc. It feels really behind and I imagine it's only going to get worse.

Unfortunately, I don't think Tesla has actually performed this upgrade for anyone yet...

I’m wondering if hw3 will work with mcu1
Or will Tesla need to upgrade mcu for anyone who bought fsd

I’ve wondered this. I have FSD but currently on MCU1 and HW2. So 2 questions if anyone knows :
  1. Is it the MCU or AP HW that limits dash cam? I.e. when I get HW3 will that enable dash cam or will I still need MCU2 as well.
  2. As above do we think that HW3 can work with MCU1?
I have HW3 in a new MXP but it’s with MCU2. My MS is MCU1 and HW2 from 2017. That has FSD and I’m intrigued what will be updated and what it enables.

Ideas?

I highly doubt that Tesla needs to swap to MCU2 for AP3.

MCU2 is a monitor whereas AP3 is a computer.

Yeah a monitor could have Display Port/HDMI2 4K resolution with 1ms response time for crazy fast gameplay, or a simple VGA low res 640x480 30ms response time. As long as Tesla only needs to swap out the AP2/AP2.5 computer to AP3 computer to enable FSD (and Elon has said as much), that's what they will do. Tesla doesn't need to swap out a crappy monitor to a fancy one to enable FSD.

My new p100d x seems to have mcu1 and its very sluggish compared to our model 3. Like going from a Celeron from the early 2000s to a new core i7. I have fsd and still no navigate on autopilot in the X, is it a mcu1 limitation?
What version are you running? You probably do have it. Check your settings.

If not I would connect the car to Wifi. If that doesn't work call customer service I guess. There's probably a reason why you're stuck since pretty much the rest of the fleet has NOA.

I wonder if we'll see some program eventually where we can refund our FSD that won't show up some day for something tangible like the MCU2 swap. Maybe something similar to the folks who bought the M3P without track mode then had the option to select if they wanted to get a refund or keep free SC.

I wonder if we'll see some program eventually where we can refund our FSD that won't show up some day for something tangible like the MCU2 swap. Maybe something similar to the folks who bought the M3P without track mode then had the option to select if they wanted to get a refund or keep free SC.
Definitely not happening, but we can dream!

I'm starting to have second thoughts on if MCU 1 people will even get dashcam functionality after MCU 2 upgrade. Aren't the cameras themselves different? And there are some other wiring differences as well. There may be a software fix also required to get MCU 2 to run on HW 2.0 cars.

I suspect that's why SC aren't doing this

Last edited:
I think Tesla will do what’s needed to make fsd work. LYes

I talked with service about it the other day and apparently Tesla is still figuring out what needs to be replaced in regards to cars with HW2.0 for customers who bought FSD (camera's, radar, MCU). So if you have HW2.0 with an old MCU and have bought FSD, just hold off upgrading the MCU. It might come with the FSD package

Reactions: dragonxt
Are most you seriously happy to pay say $3k to upgrade the MCU so you can play a game on the 17inch screen?

Surely you all have the latest smart phones which all make even MCU 2.0 feel like a relic when it comes to games/web browser??

I much rather Tesla offer us upgrades to new battery packs when ever they are released.

Reactions: mrElbe
Are most you seriously happy to pay say $3k to upgrade the MCU so you can play a game on the 17inch screen?

Surely you all have the latest smart phones which all make even MCU 2.0 feel like a relic when it comes to games/web browser??

I much rather Tesla offer us upgrades to new battery packs when ever they are released.
I don't think it's the games that are fueling the desire to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2... It's to fill that hole that leaves one feeling incomplete.

I don't play the games, and don't expect to when someday I have an MCU2 or better car. I do want MCU2 for the improved screen responsiveness and from what I understand improved browser (haven't seen/tried it in a loaner yet to confirm it's any better than what MCU1 has). I'd prefer to pay < $3000 vs $90-120k to upgrade my MCU thanks. Ideally $0 with it bundled with the FSD computer upgrade but I'm not holding my breath for that.

Just knowing that your vehicle can be retrofitted/upgraded with hardware that would normally require a trade in/entire car replacement. Obviously some cars will old hardware such was those with 2012-2016 models don't have much upgrade/update options.

I missed MCU2 by a few weeks as my Model X is a Feb 2018 ver. I have no desire to play games nor watch netflix in my car, but I have the yellow band and my LTE recently disappeared and was replaced by 3g. (hopefully fixed with a reboot) If

if the MCU 2 is capable of playing Cuphead/Youtube/Netflix, I don't see a MCU 3..etc coming. Therefore the only difference between my Model X and yours is the battery pack.