Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An MCU1 to MCU2 Upgrade might be REALLY worth it

Would you upgrade to MCU2?

• Yes - There's a lot of value there

Votes: 127 85.8%
  • No - It doesn't matter

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • No - I don't care

Votes: 9 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that the MCU upgrade is starting to become valuable, as the list of things you gain is much bigger than just a few games.

Tesla MCU 1 what it's missing/what you will gain

- Some games (Not that important)
- Netflix/YouTube (Can live without it)
- Caraoke (Really nice but not a deal breaker)
- Back camera for sentry (now it starts to get serious)
- Snappier menu's & zooming of Maps (important every day, every time you interact)
- Faster route calculation (Definitely a plus)
- Release notes will always work instead of staying mostly blank (Kind of nice)
- Internet/web browsing will become usable again (it's in there and should work right?)
- Will connect to my 5Ghz WiFi (performance will likely be better)
- Improved Bluetooth
- Latest emcc chip (kind of important if you're out of warranty, might turn out to become the biggest bonus of upgrading)
- Will receive future software features that are deemed impossible for MCU1, no longer left out (This is a big plus)

I agree that the MCU upgrade is starting to become valuable, as the list of things you gain is much bigger than just a few games.

- Snappier menu's & zooming of Maps (important every day, every time you interact)
- Internet/web browsing will become usable again (it's in there and should work right?)
- Improved Bluetooth
- Latest emcc chip (kind of important if you're out of warranty, might turn out to become the biggest bonus of upgrading)
- Will receive future software features that are deemed impossible for MCU1, no longer left out (This is a big plus)

I would add faster startup and responsiveness of driver side display (binnacle) and steering wheel controls.

"faster route calculation" - since route calculation is usually done on Tesla's cloud server, not clear that MCU2 would have faster route calculation than MCU1.

Our MCU1 and MCU2 vehicles both have the yellow band display problem.

Our MCU1 vehicle has already had one MCU replacement for the display - and now instead of replacing the MCU, Tesla has a UV machine to correct the band issue.

Tried to schedule the yellow band repair two weeks ago - and the local service center said the machine was broken with no estimate on when it would be fixed - so I cancelled the appointment and will reschedule for next month.

If they can't fix the yellow band issue, then they should replace the MCU - either with an MCU1 or an MCU2.

The slower route calculation might also be related to an already fading/deteriorating EMMC, I'm not sure actually.
With regards to the yellow band, I've been waiting for the UV device to get fixed for more than 6 months :) :)
Ultimately I'm hoping to get it all into one package:
More reliable EMMC, all the above features and no more yellow band (although I'm not sure if the MCU replacement also replaces the actual screen, I thought they were separate parts.)

great news! Definitely something I’ll do on my new, used P90. The link made it seem like FSD could be purchased, or was I reading that wrong?

I don’t have the extra cameras, so I didn’t think that was ever going to be an option.
If you don’t have at least AP2.0 with the extra cameras you won’t be able to get FSD. You will be able to get the new MCU however in “early April” as they stated.

- Improved Bluetooth
It would be nice to have youtube/Netflix for my (at least) 80 min 10-90% charge (due to a software update).... However, then I'd be sitting in the car with HVAC and using the infotainment system -- which would likely even add more time to charging..... :(

Last edited:
I’m wondering if hw3 will work with mcu1
Or will Tesla need to upgrade mcu for anyone who bought fsd

The rumor going around was HW3 requires MCU2 and can't work with MCU1, so Tesla was forced to upgrade the MCUs for anyone with AP2 and 2.5 that purchased FSD as part of the HW3 deployment.

Between that, Elon's tweets, and the lack of replacement MCU1s for all the failing units they're gonna get, I think it made the most sense to just offer it up to everyone...

Anyone with AP1 planning on getting it? Doesn't seem worth it unless your MCU is on the brink or you like playing games/watching netflix. 2016 AP1, and under warranty for another 3.5 years so hoping it dies then and getting MCU2 for free. I would do a battery upgrade if they ever did provide one though.

The rumor going around was HW3 requires MCU2 and can't work with MCU1, so Tesla was forced to upgrade the MCUs for anyone with AP2 and 2.5 that purchased FSD as part of the HW3 deployment.

Between that, Elon's tweets, and the lack of replacement MCU1s for all the failing units they're gonna get, I think it made the most sense to just offer it up to everyone...
It's Suspicious that they whipped this option out right now. Considering they are about to start really ramping up HW3 on S and X.

It seems like right now they are unsure and are preparing for what might be an unfortunate reality.

Reactions: TechVP