TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

An observation on Model 3 aero traits

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by timk225, Jun 18, 2018.

1. timk225

timk225 Active Member

I just did a 1500 mile round trip over the past week. Pennsylvania to Alabama and back. And thanks to all the bugs along the way, I noticed aero patterns on my 3.

Before leaving for the trip and when I was down there, I washed the car to see a new pattern on the way back up.

So what I noticed was the front of the car below the hood had tons of bugs, as would be expected, and a good amount hit the windshield also, but the hood? Nearly none. The side mirrors also got hit quite a bit for as big as they are. The rest of the car was fairly clean. Roof, sides, rear, etc. The hood has some downward angle to it, so for some reason I thought it'd get hit more, but I guess the airflow pushes the bugs up over the roof.

I've had my 3 a month and 10 days, and just went over 4000 miles! :eek:

• Like x 2
  2. DarthO

DarthO Member

I hit 1000 miles in 15 days. :)

3. SigNC

SigNC Member

Not enough of an angle for there to be any significant impact on the hood

4. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

I've got over 2000 miles in the first 30 days. I've definitely had a lot of bugs on my hood. Not nearly as much as the bumper but enough to be concerned about rocks when winter comes.

5. TexasTeslaRacing

5,000+ miles in 89 days. Should be over 20,000 miles by end of this year. Best car I've ever owned.

• Like x 2
  6. MVuu

MVuu Member

6k miles in 90 days!

7. Brentt

Brentt Member

5000 miles in five weeks.

8. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Ok, now you have my attention.

4000mi is 6 weeks just "regular driving" (our non-EV second vehicle now rarely gets driven).

So any long trips in that?

9. TexasTeslaRacing

You all are driveoholics!

10. Park2670

Park2670 Member

Borrowed a three and put 500 miles on it in two days all while staying locally. Bugs hit the front end a lot, but nothing extreme on the front windshield or the mirrors. Guess when I get mine ill need to drive it some more to test this.