TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

An Open Letter to Elon Musk

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by John156, Mar 2, 2016.

1. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Agreed. Tesla management needs to make it very clear to their employees, when communicating with customers, to be very careful with the details, and to be prepared to make it right (and not 3-4 months later) when their statements are found to be erroneous.

"There's nothing we can do" and failing to follow up are almost as indefensible as attempting to justify their behavior or to blame the customer after the fact.

Not surprisingly, the hubris of the apologist minority knows no bounds.

I hope John lets us know how this latest example of failed communication works out. What an unnecessary and avoidable shame.

2. Tampaukfan

Tampaukfan Member

Did you not inspect your car at delivery? Or wait 3 months to open your hatch? Your issues could have been corrected with a new order, I doubt Tesla would have charged you since it was miscommunication on their part.

3. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

There is no way to correct the "chrome." So it comes down to the power liftgate, which is part of the "premium interior" package, and the cornering lights, which is also part of that same package. Tesla will need to either give you that package in a new car or modify your car for those features. If they give you the new car then you should probably pay the $3000 to cover the features you want that Katherine was unaware of. An error is an error. If it is a modification, then Tesla should just make the adjustments to the car you got and eat the cost.

JMHO.

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Ironic. Thanks for the laugh. :)

5. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

The chrome is super easy to change. The power liftgate is extremely difficult to add. Lots of changes! Several wiring harnesses, even the back hatch stamping is different.

6. M0DEL³

M0DEL³ Member

#26 M0DEL³, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2016
    John, you deserve a better response. I've forwarded the link to this message thread to a few email addresses at Tesla including Ms. Kim's email [removed] in the hope it might goose some action towards addressing your situation.

Best of luck.

7. bonnie

#27 bonnie, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2016
    Really wish you wouldn't put people's personal emails out there without their permission. That isn't her corporate account. Seems like a bit of a privacy violation, no?

• Like x 1
  8. M0DEL³

M0DEL³ Member

It is was not already a published public email address, I would agree, but in this case it is and therefore fair use. But it is a great question and always worth considering. If mods have an issue with this, they are most welcome to remove the post.

9. bonnie

Only if she was the one who originally published it - otherwise it's just perpetuating the issue. Imo, of course.

10. M0DEL³

M0DEL³ Member

I think we have very different perspectives regarding assumed usage rights to an email address. At this point the thread is being pulled off-topic, but if you want to continue such a discussion in PM's, I'm happy to do so.

11. bonnie

No need to go to pm. But that would have been a preferable way to share a personal email. Spam bots crawl this site (and every other site) constantly.

12. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

#32 ggnykk, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Maybe it is time to just let go about this kind of stuff. You are already over 80 years old like you stated, do you really care about these little things that make your life unhappy? Just let go and enjoy life. Look at the cup half full instead probably, you are still driving one of the best car in the market no matter what.

13. ferdboyce

ferdboyce Member

I think I can understand John's concerns, as I too, traded my '13 85S for a '15 85D with Autopilot, and both my wife and I are 80. I loved my first Tesla, and we drove it from Seattle to Florida via the southern route, thence to Rhode Island and Niagara Falls and back to Seattle through Sioux Falls/Mt. Rushmore.
    We're both very happy with our Titanium Bronze 85D, and yet I do miss the 'old 85' . . . it's like coming home with a brand new pair of elegant, perfectly fitted shoes, but then experiencing the "aaaahhh" of slipping into the old, well worn and comfortable ones, and regretting their impending loss. I don't think anything will ever replace the joy of one's first Tesla, and the adventure of driving as an entirely new experience, unlike any before it.
    It will be interesting, however, to ask John how he feels in another month or so, when the "new shoes" are broken in.

• Like x 1
  14. Joe Vecchio

Joe Vecchio Member

Fake chrome is for sissies. Got a concept Tesla 4. No chrome is needed. Less repair costs. That strip comes packaged in plastic, in a box delivered in a diesel or gas delivery truck. Stored in a mearhouse heated with NG or E. Unnecessary component to the car. Same with the chrome door handles. Why so heavy? Aerodynamic? Not true. What is the co2 footprint of ALL the electronic parts, R.E.E.s, rare earth elements, to this over engineered, inefficient door handle? Why no non- fully loaded models? Go Tesla 4.

15. Joe Vecchio

Joe Vecchio Member

who thought of the unnecessary chrome piece? not needed. adds weight, pollution, and productions costs.
    Go Tesla 4.

16. timk225

timk225 Active Member

#36 timk225, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    "The car was delivered December 10, 2015. Unfortunately, it was not the exact car I had previously owned. The previous Model S had a power liftgate, cornering lights and a chrome rear bumper. The new Model S has a manual liftgate and the opening height cannot be adjusted. The new Model S does not have cornering lights and the rear bumper is black."

Wow, talk about first world problems!

"The chrome strip is now black, whaaaaaa". Let me get you some cheese to go with that WHINE!

Cars haven't had REAL chrome for 20 years. Maybe pickup truck bumpers, but certainly not cars.

OP, I have absolutely no sympathy for the grave injustices that have been done against you, quit being such a whiner.

• Disagree x 3