Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An open letter to those people who like to post open letters to Elon or Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to me that every time a major change is announced that a few people decide to write an open letter and post it on the forums basically venting how they have been wronged and what a horrible thing has been done to them as a result of some improvement or change the Tesla has made . Obviously I am referencing the latest announcement about the enhanced auto pilot/autonomous driving capability upgrade, but I could just as easily be posting this in response to parking sensors, the dual motor announcement , or the P90/P100 releases, etc. I could even be referencing the removal of a feature/option such as the recent choice to no longer offer the 60 model of the X. In response a number of people said that Tesla had lost their business forever because they were "going in to order tomorrow" when the option disappeared. I find that so unlikely that so many people were literally one day away from ordering that specific model. To those of you purchased a vehicle and then had an update or upgrade announced shortly thereafter: The fact is you got what you paid for. If you did not want to be on this roller coaster possibly you should of bought a different brand of vehicle. I also see where some people call themselves "early adopters" (implying they are deserving of special consideration) even as of today regarding yesterday's announcement of the AP2.0. Not to be rude but I hardly consider anyone who waited until the original auto pilot was out to be a "early adopter". I purchased my car in the middle of 2013 and I am not even sure I would classify myself as an early adopter. Since then, I have missed out on dual motors, two battery size increases,parking sensors , folding mirrors, Fog lights, auto pilot, executive rear seat option, new colors, facelifted design, revised switchgear, revised instrument cluster, Alcantara dash accents, extended Nappa leather, new rear Tesla appliqué design, black headliner option, next generation seats, ventilated seats, sill panel badging, passenger side seat storage pouch, subzero option, and I am sure many other things I can't think of right now. Elon/Tesla never promised me my car would be exactly like the newest models rolling off the line. That being said I have benefited from many software updates that have added features that I did not pay for so I'm grateful for those. I am not of a mindset that Tesla can do no wrong because I certainly see they have made many mistakes and the removal or modification of certain things certainly disappointed me. I would already have my second Tesla if they had not removed the perk of picking up cars for service at no charge like my 2013 has. For that simple reason my wife won't give Tesla serious consideration until a local service center opens to avoid a 4-5 hour round trip for service/repair or a hefty fee. If I buy one anyway I have to prepare myself for some marital friction (not the good kind) when service/repair is needed. Still, I think that the majority of us who have purchased a Tesla have done so because of the fact that they are so much more advanced than anything else out there. The other side of that coin is that we will have to accept there will be rapid changes to keep Tesla at the forefront of new technologies and features and the previous/existing owners will have their cars made "obsolete" more quickly as a result.

If you S/X types feel cheated, imagine how it felt to be an original roadster owner; a legitimate "early adopter back-in-the-day" who put money down on a car before Tesla had built their first vehicle. The rules and the car seemed to change from week to week (as did the CEO at one point). Were we getting a 70A charger, a wall-mount unit, or a 110v? one or two speed transmission? you need *more* down-payment? A price increase AFTER the reservation? I guess the max speed wasn't *that* important...D'Oh should've waited for the 2.0.

The worst part was when they announced the model-S and our cute little 10-post-per-day forum became a monster no one could keep up with.

That said, my roadster is the most fun car I've ever owned. Never looked back. I bought it for a certain price and was happy to pay it at the time. I could've gotten more if I reserved earlier (the 70A wall charger!) or more if I reserved later (the 2.0 version). Similar caveat's exist with any purchase -- just ask anyone who's ever bought a house.

//dan.

I could've gotten more if I reserved earlier (the 70A wall charger!) or more if I reserved later (the 2.0 version). Similar caveat's exist with any purchase -- just ask anyone who's ever bought a house.

//dan.
I agree with much of what you said, but there's one thing I don't understand. VIN 619 is a 2.0, just like our VIN 537. Did you mean 2.5?

It seems to me that every time a major change is announced that a few people decide to write an open letter and post it on the forums basically venting how they have been wronged and what a horrible thing has been done to them as a result of some improvement or change the Tesla has made . Obviously I am referencing the latest announcement about the enhanced auto pilot/autonomous driving capability upgrade, but I could just as easily be posting this in response to parking sensors, the dual motor announcement , or the P90/P100 releases, etc. I could even be referencing the removal of a feature/option such as the recent choice to no longer offer the 60 model of the X. In response a number of people said that Tesla had lost their business forever because they were "going in to order tomorrow" when the option disappeared. I find that so unlikely that so many people were literally one day away from ordering that specific model. To those of you purchased a vehicle and then had an update or upgrade announced shortly thereafter: The fact is you got what you paid for. If you did not want to be on this roller coaster possibly you should of bought a different brand of vehicle. I also see where some people call themselves "early adopters" (implying they are deserving of special consideration) even as of today regarding yesterday's announcement of the AP2.0. Not to be rude but I hardly consider anyone who waited until the original auto pilot was out to be a "early adopter". I purchased my car in the middle of 2013 and I am not even sure I would classify myself as an early adopter. Since then, I have missed out on dual motors, two battery size increases,parking sensors , folding mirrors, Fog lights, auto pilot, executive rear seat option, new colors, facelifted design, revised switchgear, revised instrument cluster, Alcantara dash accents, extended Nappa leather, new rear Tesla appliqué design, black headliner option, next generation seats, ventilated seats, sill panel badging, passenger side seat storage pouch, subzero option, and I am sure many other things I can't think of right now. Elon/Tesla never promised me my car would be exactly like the newest models rolling off the line. That being said I have benefited from many software updates that have added features that I did not pay for so I'm grateful for those. I am not of a mindset that Tesla can do no wrong because I certainly see they have made many mistakes and the removal or modification of certain things certainly disappointed me. I would already have my second Tesla if they had not removed the perk of picking up cars for service at no charge like my 2013 has. For that simple reason my wife won't give Tesla serious consideration until a local service center opens to avoid a 4-5 hour round trip for service/repair or a hefty fee. If I buy one anyway I have to prepare myself for some marital friction (not the good kind) when service/repair is needed. Still, I think that the majority of us who have purchased a Tesla have done so because of the fact that they are so much more advanced than anything else out there. The other side of that coin is that we will have to accept there will be rapid changes to keep Tesla at the forefront of new technologies and features and the previous/existing owners will have their cars made "obsolete" more quickly as a result.
It's no different then buying a new laptop/iPad/iPhone/TV etc. enjoy the vehicle you paid for. Tesla is moving quickly. As an purchaser/owner you should realize that the car you have now in a few years/months/days will be outdated.