Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An unforeseen Model S risk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I bought my first Tesla ~3 months ago (a pre-April 2016 MS 70D), my partner initially tried to talk me out of it (cost), and has repeatedly ribbed me about the decision since.

A week ago, she had to run an errand, was low on gas in her car and borrowed the S. Over the weekend, she went out while I was remotely WFH and, when I got off work and went to the garage to run an errand in *my* S, I found only *her* car in the garage! She also returned home going on and on about how nice the S was, how she *loved* accelerating from a stop, etc., etc., etc.. (sigh)

I'm pretty sure there's a moral to this story; with "Diane", my S, caught in the middle .....
IMG_20200126_185759_2.jpg

My wife doesnt like cars. Only SUV's. never wanted to drive my //M BMW's, AMG Benzes. Liked them, never cared to drive them.
Got my model S in late December.
She decided to test it out in January. Saturday morning drive. Ended up driving it alllll weekend.
And the following weekend.

We have plans to replace her Lexus RX350 with a model Y later this year.

My wife doesnt like cars. Only SUV's. never wanted to drive my //M BMW's, AMG Benzes. Liked them, never cared to drive them.
Got my model S in late December.
She decided to test it out in January. Saturday morning drive. Ended up driving it alllll weekend.
And the following weekend.

We have plans to replace her Lexus RX350 with a model Y later this year.

Same here. Her car is an SUV, as was her previous car. Unfortunately for me/the future, height aside, you can fit almost as much (if not more) in the back of an S, with the rear seats still up, as you can in some SUVs; something I recently proved with an s'load of astronomy gear for a public outreach event...
IMG_20200303_080831_6.jpg

Same here. Her car is an SUV, as was her previous car. Unfortunately for me/the future, height aside, you can fit almost as much (if not more) in the back of an S, with the rear seats still up, as you can in some SUVs; something I recently proved with an s'load of astronomy gear for a public outreach event...
View attachment 527556
Perfect vehicle for a toilet paper run to Costco.

toilet paper run.jpg

have you found a way to make the car “dark sky friendly” ie not fire up the external lights when you open a door?

have you found a way to make the car “dark sky friendly” ie not fire up the external lights when you open a door?

Aside from arriving first/leaving last, or a ludicrous amount of red tape? Unfortunately, no. That said, I actually did arrive to the last dark site before sundown, and left with everyone else. I also mostly do outreach these days, where night vision's already a lost cause, so......

Op, your situation is very common. My wife couldn’t understand why I wanted our 1st Tesla in 2014. After purchase, she would fight me for it almost on a daily basis. We got our 2nd Tesla in 2019, but unfortunately, one of them is stuck in FL and we are stuck in OH for the duration of this world war. So the fight continues.

Reactions: trnunes