Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An Unfortunate Day for my X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My ultimate fear is that power cuts out with the door halfway up and the car starts to back out. My garage door doesn't have a battery back up like some new ones do so until I can be sure this would never happen then I'm ok with doing it manually.

Cases that 20" high sensors won't work:

1) If your door is completely shut closed, the sensors are useless if the summon would crash through the door. The sensors cannot automatically open the garage door to avoid your car from crashing through it. You need to manually watch to make sure the summon doesn't do that!

2) When your garage door is open and when the summon erroneously issue a close command, your car is too far away inside (too deep into the garage) to move the car fast enough to obstruct the sensors in time to reverse the close command. By the time the car reaches the door, it might be already closed or went down too far and without manual intervention, your car would crash into the door.

If you don't encounter those 2 above cases, I would not worry about the power, because when the power is out, the garage door is frozen.

Exactly the reason why I don't have homelink auto open/close enabled. Raising the obstacle sensors is definitely the right thing to do, would be a PITA if you happen to walk out of the garage while triggering it to close but if its to avoid situations like this then its probably worth it. Also garage looks very clean!

I have auto open enabled, but disabled auto close on day one about reading about several other people experiencing similar incidents.

UPDATE: I just got the car back this weekend from Gerber Auto Body and they did a fantastic job at cleaning up the massacre of glass, removing the busted rear window, replacing and repairing spoiler mount and replacing spoiler all for a grand total of almost $3,000. Luckily, I had a $1000 deductible on the car. Glad to have her home.

THINGS I HAVE LEARNED:
1. Disable autoclose if you plan on backing up your car in the garage
2. Only use Homelink if you plan to pay attention to the tones and your surroundings
3. Make sure you have adequate coverage on the vehicle to repair stupid things like this as this was unpreventable and would have eventually happened.

The weird thing about this whole situation is that from day one when I got the car, backing up into the garage door was a real fear of mine and I even dreamt about it. Maybe this was a sign. Thanks for the support guys!

Reactions: jboy210
The exact same thing happened to our MX last year!
$3500 of damage and I too stopped trusting auto open/close. I also started using the rear view mirror to double check the garage door before backing up.
A few things such as two broken FWD glass, the busted back window made me realize I had placed too much trust in Tesla.

Attachments

• A84C3A59-ECD2-451B-83B4-CA7488A715B0.jpeg
    A84C3A59-ECD2-451B-83B4-CA7488A715B0.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 52
Wow, I’m so sorry to hear that. How did you break the front glass twice?

The exact same thing happened to our MX last year!
$3500 of damage and I too stopped trusting auto open/close. I also started using the rear view mirror to double check the garage door before backing up.
A few things such as two broken FWD glass, the busted back window made me realize I had placed too much trust in Tesla.

Wow, I’m so sorry to hear that. How did you break the front glass twice?
The FWD doors were broken

1st time: we were in a parking garage and there were pipes overhead. The top of the FWD jammed right into the pipe fitting and cracked it.

2nd time was similar but under a parking spot with a metal roof.

It’s always good to keep in mind that there’s only one sensor on the roof for the FWD which is located between the FWD glasses/windows at the top. I didn’t know that until after the first incident and it didn’t stop me/the car breaking it the second time. You’d think placing a sensor in each of the elbow joints might do a little better since it could sense objects as the FWD opens.