Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An update from my DS about my 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My DS contacted me for the first time today (today was also when my VIN was assigned). He said their current estimate is that the car will be "ready" in April.

I refrained from asking him what he is currently smoking and whether I can have some of that stuff because this is the first time I'm talking to him and he may take it the wrong way. But I do appreciate his optimism, though maybe he just hasn't updated the form email in a while that he's sending out.

In any case, this is good news. Things are definitely moving forward. I suppose that the last weeks have been spent looking at all the QA issues that our guinea pigs found and improving the pipeline, and they're now setting up for another batch. I still don't expect my 90D before August, but maaaybe the DS is right and April is indeed the date. That would be amazing.

EboMike: your reservation number is in 12,000+ and your VIN number is less than 2000 ? Does that mean there have been many deferrals or or worse cancellations? I can't believe close to 10k folks are waiting to configure 70D ?

EboMike: your reservation number is in 12,000+ and your VIN number is less than 2000 ? Does that mean there have been many deferrals or or worse cancellations? I can't believe close to 10k folks are waiting to configure 70D ?

I believe many, many people haven't confirmed yet (bailed, waiting to see one live, etc). Quite a few people are probably going for a 70D. Also, quite a few people who should be eligible to get a VIN haven't gotten one yet.

Btw, I wouldn't use the reservation number for any VIN-related interpretations - the reservation number affects your design studio invitation date, but past that point, the confirmation date is the important metric.

True. Someone high on the reservation list confirming right after getting the invitation would jump way ahead of another person taking their own sweet time to confirm even if they have a low reservation number.

The fact that people with relatively high reservation numbers have more to do with the fact they are located in a specific part of CA and less to do with how many people have or have not configured yet. I can think of quite a few right of the bat, that I personally know of who have not gotten VINs yet because they are not in CA. CA is the determining factor here.

Almost full loaded (everything except 22" wheels, and 6 seats instead of 7) 90D reservation number 10085 received VIN today of mid-1500's and the web page source code says estimated delivery "March - Early April". It does seem like my location and configuration bumped me ahead in line.

Almost full loaded (everything except 22" wheels, and 6 seats instead of 7) 90D reservation number 10085 received VIN today of mid-1500's and the web page source code says estimated delivery "March - Early April". It does seem like my location and configuration bumped me ahead in line.

Wow, I didn't even think to search the code for delivery data. I have the same note. However, since it's hidden, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the default text, and unless the code updates it and makes the field visible, the contents are meaningless. In fact, the selector above has dates from 1970, so it seems clear that it hasn't been properly populated.

For the record, this is what I have (with the HTML tags stripped out):

Pickup options are not available now.
Preferred Delivery
[selector box with various options in 1970]
You can choose to take delivery sooner by changing your delivery date.

Estimated Delivery
March - Early April
You’ll be scheduled for an exact date and time closer to delivery.

The black box of Tesla batching is at work here: confirmation date, options selected and delivery location all matter to the production queue. I suspect that the 90Ds getting VINs now are all fully loaded, or close to it. This means they're very close to the Sig, Founder and early P90D configurations which had all or most of the interior options selected. And this would mean very minimal variations to the specific manufacturing procedure used to build the Sigs and Founders.

But if some 90D orders are really going to be fulfilled in April, that's excellent news and way ahead of most of our own WAG estimates. That could also mean that 70Ds (particularly fully loaded 70Ds, which might be relatively rare) could be manufactured sooner than expected. But I have my own theory on that. I think the 70D will come fairly late in the year (October?), but may actually have a larger battery (75D?) with packs assembled in the gigafactory. :) I admit, I still tend toward the optimistic side...

And the people getting VINs now probably all confirmed before the "Meet Model X" events. I bet that the confirmed order list is getting *much* longer now that a few thousand people are getting hands-on with the X.

Well, I think the speculations are all spot on. My model X will be a fully loaded blue 6 seater (a very popular config), with standard wheels. I will pick it up at the factory. My reservation number was just below 5000. Got the invite in Nov, configured and confirmed by late December. Test drove it only a month ago. I had always assumed that I'd be assigned a VIN once they are done with X90P deliveries, just like ModelS deliveries when it was originally released. Since I only have seen 2 model Xs on the road, I don't expect to hear from my DS for awhile.

Wow this is way faster than I was expecting, I didn't think we would see any 90D VINs for quite a while. I am a little surprised that CA deliveries are taking precedence though, seems like shipping the cars to other locations is the least of their worries. Perhaps it's so if those cars have issues they can go back to the factory or something easier for repairs?

I'll be checking more often for a VIN, my delivery is in Arizona so not too far from California...

I am a little surprised that CA deliveries are taking precedence though, seems like shipping the cars to other locations is the least of their worries. Perhaps it's so if those cars have issues they can go back to the factory or something easier for repairs?

Generally, the later you get in the quarter, the more local deliveries will be. This allows Tesla to mark more vehicles as actually delivered in a given quarter, which helps with recognizing revenues and meeting delivery goals for the quarter. Hand-in-hand with that, you'll find that toward the beginning of the quarter there tend to be more deliveries further from Fremont. In the case of Model S, European cars generally go out toward the beginning of the quarter, whereas domestic/local deliveries go out toward the end of the quarter.

Configured 90D the same day that I received the invite and confirmed a week later. I still no VIN (no complaint at all). This VIN assignment appeared to be non-sequential.
@petfansneteork

Up until last week they were only issuing VINs to people who ordered P90D with at least the premium and autopilot options. They had issued about 1400 VINs but less than 150 people had actually taken delivery of a production car. Starting this week they issued 500 VINS for 90D with at least the premium and autopilot options but only for delivery in California. No one is actually sure why they switched to 90D as there were still plenty of P90D left to get VINs. I think they wanted to test the production line for 90Ds but wanted some ability to fix issues so they decided on 500 going to Califormia. That is my guess a lot of others have their own suppositions. It will be interesting to see if the continue with 90D cars or go back to P90D next week.

VINs are sequential issued but only a fraction of the users are part of this forum so you don't see them all. Even though they are sequentially issued they get out of order when they hit production. They do batching of colors, a car may get out of order if a problem is found with the car anytime during the production process therefore getting moved out of order. Also Founders, Signature and Production cars have their own sequencing. So you may see repeat of numbers but the sixth digit from the right of the VIN determined whether it is a founders (F), signature (s) or production (0). The 0 will allow them to produce over 999,999 production cars. I wouldnt expect a VIN for a couple of months.

Please make sure your information is up-to-date in ModelXTracker.com .

The fact that people with relatively high reservation numbers have more to do with the fact they are located in a specific part of CA and less to do with how many people have or have not configured yet. I can think of quite a few right of the bat, that I personally know of who have not gotten VINs yet because they are not in CA. CA is the determining factor here.

@LeonardD You spotted the reason some high Res numbers 90Ds are getting VINs. They are all in California. So Tesla can speed some deliveries before the end of the quarter. A check of the data in ModelXTracker.com shows that all those 90Ds that received VINs are from California. Those of us in other parts of the country or world will have to wait until next quarter!

@LeonardD You spotted the reason some high Res numbers 90Ds are getting VINs. They are all in California. So Tesla can speed some deliveries before the end of the quarter. A check of the data in ModelXTracker.com shows that all those 90Ds that received VINs are from California. Those of us in other parts of the country or world will have to wait until next quarter!
I am not sure if that is a correct assumption. There is some truth that all 90Ds that received VIN are in California. I also know for a fact that not all production 90Ds in California received VINs. (Mine, don't ask why...:tongue:)