Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An update from my DS about my 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My thought now is before I pick it up have them turn it on for 3K. That sounds so ridiculous... I am laughing as I type.
No really. I thought the same.

I really think I will rarely use it. I am still old school and like to drive cars. And with it being sw enabled I was totally considering just waiting too. Then the geek in me got involved and I just decided I needed another toy.

FWIW I use the navigation on my current car as sort of a trip time estimator. Even when I know exactly where I am going I turn it on just to see the time count down.

No really. I thought the same.

I really think I will rarely use it. I am still old school and like to drive cars. And with it being sw enabled I was totally considering just waiting too. Then the geek in me got involved and I just decided I needed another toy.

FWIW I use the navigation on my current car as sort of a trip time estimator. Even when I know exactly where I am going I turn it on just to see the time count down.
I agree, if I did not want to drive the car I could take a bus. Having said that, I do not have any of the latest and greatest on my classic Model S. So for this reason I wanted all that stuff on my X, probably rarely use auto pilot but who knows.

Just drove NJ to Richmond, VA. Used AP more than 50% of the time. So much more comfortable on long, otherwise boring, trips. Would definitely recommend it. However I have turned off the auto dimming headlights. They wait too long to dim and are annoying oncoming cars. There is no sensitivity adjustment.

I agree, if I did not want to drive the car I could take a bus. Having said that, I do not have any of the latest and greatest on my classic Model S. So for this reason I wanted all that stuff on my X, probably rarely use auto pilot but who knows.

I'd say there's fun driving and necessary driving. I would classify most of my driving as fun driving, but sometimes I have to go from San Diego to Los Angeles, often in questionable traffic, or worse, up the I-5 from Los Angeles to the Bay Area, which is basically hours and hours of puttering along on a two-lane freeway at a fixed speed with nothing around you as far as you can see. That's when AP comes in for me.

Going back to the original topic, I just got a visible delivery update on "myTesla" page that I should expect delivery for my X90D in the last week of March! No call from my DS yet!
As for AP, I used it during my test drive while experiencing stop and go traffic on 101. It worked great, as well as lane changing ( a bit trickier). Worth every penny! I will use it everyday as it makes our everyday commute during rush hour/ heavy traffic less agitating, once one learns to trust the software.

Last edited:
I am a non-CA (Midwest) 90D with most but not all options (recently dropped down from a Sig reservation).

Ordered 2/26, Confirmed 3/4, just got an email (3/10) from my DS that a VIN was assigned with a mid-April production and May delivery. Unexpectedly early. I guess the VIN is 39xx (it says Model X 0039xx on mytesla, is that the VIN?).

I'd say there's fun driving and necessary driving. I would classify most of my driving as fun driving, but sometimes I have to go from San Diego to Los Angeles, often in questionable traffic, or worse, up the I-5 from Los Angeles to the Bay Area, which is basically hours and hours of puttering along on a two-lane freeway at a fixed speed with nothing around you as far as you can see. That's when AP comes in for me.

Exactly this. The argument that people love to drive always includes the mental image of two lane mountain roads with beautiful views and no traffic. It's never rush hour, or long distance I-10 style boredom. AP isn't an always-on feature, so it's not like you have to give everything up. A recent drive for me (in my non-AP MS) included lots of boring I-5 driving but also the Territorial Highway in Oregon. I could have used AP for some and still had fun for the rest.

I am a non-CA (Midwest) 90D with most but not all options (recently dropped down from a Sig reservation).

Ordered 2/26, Confirmed 3/4, just got an email (3/10) from my DS that a VIN was assigned with a mid-April production and May delivery. Unexpectedly early. I guess the VIN is 39xx (it says Model X 0039xx on mytesla, is that the VIN?).

It's the last portion of the VIN, the sequential part. You can see the entire VIN if you'd like by viewing the page source HTML and searching for that number.