Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An Update to our Supercharging Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Feature phone is the term I've always heard. Sometimes called dumbphones, but feature phones is less derogatory.
A misnomer though, since they're really no-feature (or fewer-feature) phones.

Edit to add: I asked a few people sitting near me what they thought "feature phone" meant and they all responded "smart phone I guess?" or some variant.

Last edited:
But if there are only "some" sociopaths, I don't think we'd have this policy in the first place.

Tesla has the data on the individual drivers who overstay after their charge. Notify them that continued abuse will result in fines. Punish them. Send a reminder to the non-sociopaths. Adopting some dumbass fee structure just to deal with what people seem to think is a small number of offenders is foolish. It complicates the already major inconvenience of having to charge an EV and is short-sighted. It creates another thought hurdle for the adoption of EVs. More frequent and longer gas station stops is what it looks like. Relax while you charge at an SC? Like it says on the SC page when I ordered? Nope. Even with open spots? Nope, not unless you want to pay a fee. Don't care about the fee? You can stay for a bit longer. -- which if it is a busy SC in no way solves the problem of congestion. It's absurd.

If the operating assumption is that the model3 release will push the situation over the edge, then start making more ****ing SCs.

Are you REALLY an owner? The notifications and reminders were already tried and sent out a few months ago, and some owners were miffed about it. As I said, you can't please everyone all the time. I welcome this parking fee policy change.

I do like the idea of the car center display showing info and possibly an "accept" button at an SpC.

Info to include -
- which stall to use
- a way to input if stalls are ICEd (or unpugged EV) and which ones.

Then, once parked

- crowded/uncrowded SpC declaration
- cost (once implemented)
- Earliest must move time to not be penalized. Sure, it might move out, but not in.

And an "I agree" button to start charging.

I personally think the empty/busy complicated things too much, but seams that's now decided.

Reactions: jgs
I haven't traveled the network far and wide but I haven't been to any in a rest stop.
Rest stops mean different things in different parts of the country. Outside of the northeast, a rest stop means picnic tables and maybe a small building with bathrooms. Those don't have superchargers. In the northeast a rest stop is a large complex with several fast food options and a gas station, with easy access on and off the highway. On toll roads those are the only services where you don't have to pay a toll for exiting, such as on the Delaware Turnpike and New Jersey Turnpike. Some if those rest stops have superchargers.

Yes, I know, see my reply above.

I haven't traveled the network far and wide but I haven't been to any in a rest stop. Anyway, yes, I understand all that. My point is that the design choice of putting the chargers far away says to the user "do your activity, then come back when you're done" and not "hustle back as soon as you get a notification". This may be unavoidable (again, see my previous) given the ICEing problem, but at the very least it's suboptimal.
To clarify, as others pointed out, I'm talking about the ones that have a gas station, a basic amount of amenities (usually fast food, a convenience store, etc), not talking about the ones with only bathrooms and a few picnic tables. I was going to say Buttonwillow, but if you are nitpicky about it, it's not technically located directly in the designated Rest Area (which is the type described in the former), but 2 miles down in the Truck Stop (the type described in the latter).

The examples brought up by the others on the East coast are probably better examples. But for either type, these are not places typical people will be spending more than 30 minutes to an hour at (because there is nothing to do other than eat).

Are you REALLY an owner? The notifications and reminders were already tried and sent out a few months ago, and some owners were miffed about it. As I said, you can't please everyone all the time. I welcome this parking fee policy change.

@disagree,

I saw your posting (which got moved to snippiness). Although a skeptic would question whether or not that's YOUR car, I'm convinced that you are an owner - albeit one who relishes the chicago ethos though.

That however doesn't take away from the argument that all your complaints weren't thought through, and the new parking fee policy is a good change.

1. I think the implementation can be tweaked--it should be a hard rule with no 'only iffn it's a busy day' clause
2. I think the payment plan creates an unfortunate decoupling of the problem and the negative reinforcement solutionn, and pushes BS onto on the service centers (those poor service managers...), but there's not much you can do for pre-'17 cars. Garnishing supercharger credits works for '17 and up.

That said, overall it's a great idea. Given that just about every charging situation could go for an hour if you top off, I simply don't understand the opposition.

Most stops are significantly less than that. For the once in a blue moon need to stay more than an hour, don't be a jerk and go move your car. When every spot in the lot has a plug it will be different. For now, do what your mommy told you when your were 5. Play nice. Share. We're all in this together.

Reactions: Falkirk
Good move. A better one would be to require a credit card be tied to your Tesla account to utilize supercharging that will be charged the idle fees instead of charging at the service center.
When I logged into My Tesla page this morning, I saw the credit card form displayed. Of course I filled it out right away...but now I can't find any place to edit the card info. I don't know if it was shown intentionally or was just a fluke. Did anyone else see the form today?

When I logged into My Tesla page this morning, I saw the credit card form displayed. Of course I filled it out right away...but now I can't find any place to edit the card info. I don't know if it was shown intentionally or was just a fluke. Did anyone else see the form today?
Hah, I see it too. Wasn't there last time I checked (probably a few months?). I didn't add one yet.

The credit card I entered in when the info popped up a few months ago is now shown in My Account info under the payment method.

IMG_0294.jpg