Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Analysis of the price-hike for FSD, and the options it allows Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a serious question. I meant I believe the current cost is $6K/$12K. Does it go up for existing vehicles or just new ones?
Previous FSD price hikes applied to everyone, I don't think this would be an exception. It is unknown what will happen to EAP however as it was just recently reintroduced in the US. I would say most likely it'll also go up because that's easier math and keeps the ratio the same, but who knows.

Previous FSD price hikes applied to everyone, I don't think this would be an exception. It is unknown what will happen to EAP however as it was just recently reintroduced in the US. I would say most likely it'll also go up because that's easier math and keeps the ratio the same, but who knows.
On the one hand, if they raise the price of EAP it might get too high. But if they raise it they can realize the extra revenue from all the FSD customers if they want it now

Not only is one of Elon's titles at SpaceX "Chief Engineer," but he seems to be intimately involved in the engineering. Here's quote from Joshua Boehm, the former Head of Software Quality Assurance at SpaceX:

"He is integrally involved in the actual design and engineering of the rocket, and at least touches every other aspect of the business (but I would say the former takes up much more of his mental real estate). Elon is an engineer at heart, and that’s where and how he works best."

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Not only is one of Elon's titles at SpaceX "Chief Engineer," but he seems to be intimately involved in the engineering. Here's quote from Joshua Boehm, the former Head of Software Quality Assurance at SpaceX:

"He is integrally involved in the actual design and engineering of the rocket, and at least touches every other aspect of the business (but I would say the former takes up much more of his mental real estate). Elon is an engineer at heart, and that’s where and how he works best."
I don’t know how loosely the term engineer is bandied about in the US but in Canada it is a professional designation that requires licensing. You need to be licensed in Canada to practice as a professional engineer and this requires the necessary education and degree.

I was making the point that Musk is not an engineer. That is a fact that can be verified. It is also a fact that the yoke is dumb. Don’t see how anyone could disagree with facts.

You seem to be suggesting that since Musk does not have "Engineering" in his degrees that he is not an engineer. You really should reconsider that line of thinking.

You clearly also haven't paid attention to the numerous technical interviews he's given.

I do have engineer in my degree, and I consider myself much inferior to Musk's knowledge of rockets and all things EVs. This is not a fanboy thing; it's being self-aware and appreciating someone else's expertise.

Alan Subie - Ask Elon. He readily admits he is not an engineer and in fact thinks it quite humorous that people think he is. This is old news. Apparently you are not connected.
I don’t know how loosely the term engineer is bandied about in the US but in Canada it is a professional designation that requires licensing. You need to be licensed in Canada to practice as a professional engineer and this requires the necessary education and degree.

no, he readily admits he's the chief engineer at spaceX. He has explained numerous times why he became chief engineer (SpaceX small - couldn't attract talent from the big boys).

I don't even know what your point is anymore. Ok so in Canada, he's officially not a professional engineer. And that matters for Musk/Tesla/SpaceX how? If you design something using math and science, you are engineering. You can engineer something as a kid. You can create something that adds value to society without needing a formal education. Are you really arguing over degrees and titles? Elon changed his title to TechnoKing just for people like you. The people who don't seem to understand you can get sh*t done regardless of your title.

I guess I've been living a lie, I thought working as an engineer made me an engineer (I also have an EE Meng but I don't see any reason an engineer can't be self taught). Anyway, there's no licensing requirement for engineers at Tesla or SpaceX or in most fields of engineering in the US.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Ahh. That explains it. Here in the USA, "engineer" is tossed around willy nilly. Example: Several years back, at a large Fortune 500 company I worked for, numerous persons left work on a Friday that had job titles of "Software Developers".

They arrived back in the office the following Monday and suddenly they were all "Software Engineers". HR did a job title re-alignment over the weekend. So yeah, "Engineer" can mean a lot here in the USA, can mean that you drive a train, or can mean almost nothing.

There is no license requirement to be an engineer in the United States except to perform certain specific functions, such as to approve plans for civil engineering projects like bridges, which requires a Professional Engineering certification.

I cannot speak for Canada, but, having known and worked with many engineers in the United States,, my experience is that very few had a PE certification. Many of them did not have an engineering degree. It is not uncommon for physicists, mathematicians, etc. to be hired as engineers, depending on the specific field.

As a retired chemist, I was always offended when people referred to me as an engineer. Science (scientific method, research) and engineering (plumbing, machinery) are two different things that folks seem to think are the same. The world needs engineers to reduce technology to practice, but what an insult to a scientist.

A lot of you are getting tied up in semantics and missing the logic. Musk is not an engineer. Period. Whether he calls himself an engineer is irrelevant. This does not take away from his intelligence. It’s just that formally speaking he is not an engineer.

I can dress and suture a wound and have formal medical training. Can I call myself a doctor ? Can I operate on you ?

A lot of you are getting tied up in semantics and missing the logic. Musk is not an engineer. Period. Whether he calls himself an engineer is irrelevant. This does not take away from his intelligence. It’s just that formally speaking he is not an engineer.

I can dress and suture a wound and have formal medical training. Can I call myself a doctor ? Can I operate on you ?
Extremely poor analogy. To legally call yourself a medical doctor or perform surgery on a human in the US requires a medical license, which has certain formal education and training requirements. Same goes for a lawyer or plumber. But, you need neither an engineering degree nor license be an engineer in the US except for a few specific cases that I mentioned earlier.

Extremely poor analogy. To legally call yourself a medical doctor or perform surgery on a human in the US requires a medical license, which has certain formal education and training requirements. Same goes for a lawyer or plumber. But, you need neither an engineering degree nor license be an engineer in the US except for a few specific cases that I mentioned earlier.
You nailed it. “In the US” seems to make all the difference in the world unfortunately. I hope other professions have some regulation in the US.

• Funny
You nailed it. “In the US” seems to make all the difference in the world unfortunately. I hope other professions have some regulation in the US.
I qualified with the US because I do not know the regulations in other countries. And, since the claim you made was regarding a person associated with a US company, it seemed that engineer requirements for countries like Columbia, Cameroon or Canada were not germane to the issue.

Reactions: willow_hiller