Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anchorage, Alaska potential Model 3 buyer wants to sit in one first, any owners there?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a full charge with a LR I think you could plan a fishing trip weekend from Anchorage to Seward or a one way trip to Denali State Park.
Seward and back is easy in the summer. It’s too close for me in the winter. Did it once and Made it back to Anchorage with 6%. Denali is easy (in the summer) since there are tons of 50a RV hook ups at the park entrance to charge off. Fairbanks requires 2-3 hour stop at the Talkeetna junction or 49th state in Healy. Homer requires an overnight.

For an EV to be your only vehicle we desperately need superchargers at all the junctions: Tok, Glenallen, delta, talkeetna, Fairbanks. And the end of the roads: Seward, Homer, Valdez, Haines. After that Anchorage and soldotona. That would pretty much get us.

From this forum, I remember reading that some people have more issues with ingress and egress
than seating confort because the car is low compare to similar cars or SUV.

If it's your case, the Model Y might be more easy for seating as it will have taller doors.
There is also a setting for easy acces to move the sterring wheel and the seat.

Other comment would be that the 18" migh provide a litte smoother ride
unless you prefer nicer handling and look of the 19" or 20".

Thanks

I agree ^^.
Also although it doesn't bother me, the 3, in my opinion, is not suspended for comfort.
It reminds me of the Shelby performance suspension in my '66 Mustang.
It's pretty stiff, so it handles great.
I would add that driving a Model 3 in a curving road especially going up the hill is an outstanding experience.
I mostly drove cars with stick shift and get used to dwonshift before a curb to slowdon and get the maximum power to exit.
I always hated driving automatic cars who constantly change gear in middle of a curb, unless you were able to lock the gear.
But with the Model 3, and certainly any EV, you have a lot of re-gen and power when accelerating after passing a curb.
Well, enjoy the ride!

curving-road-stock-photo-1892731.jpg

Reactions: Tron 3
Thanks! I'm new here so how do I contact him?
Hard to say. Go get on the Tesla forum if you aren’t already. Either lurk and watch for him to post, or start some Alaska-specific thread that might get his attention. The Tesla forum is far less sophisticated than this one. But I’d describe ColeAK as moderately active, so you might catch him with a bit of patience. Good luck! (If you happen to visit Sacramento, let me know and we’ll arrange a ride!)

Service might stress me out a little. For charging, don't forget that pretty much anywhere you go you will likely have access to 110 charging. It's not fast but it will add up over a weekend of fishing etc.
You likely know this already due to having back problems, but do see if you can find someone that will let you drive the car around for 30 minutes at least.

The Model 3 seats are just as adjustable as most mid-tier cars these days, and the seats are nicely bolstered. However I personally have a very hard time being comfortable on longer drives in regular driving positions with it. Mostly my lower back and my "driving leg". The only other car I've driven with this issue was our Honda Fit.

If you happen to find yourself in Southern BC for any reason, my Model 3 is available.
It's also worth mentioning that because of autopilot you have far more ability to move around and not place pressure on your legs/back than other cars. I think the height of the seat might be less ideal than other options (I'm thinking of SUVs) but there are tradeoffs.

I wasn't planning on getting autopilot, though. (Unless I'm confused!) Because of all the points being made here, I'm thinking I definitely need to try the S as well, and maybe even wait for the Y before making a decision.
Auto pilot dosn’t work well up here given the condition of our roads. The car can’t see the lines durring the winter and even in the summer I think AKDOT sees lines as optional. Of the 15 or so people I know with Tesla’s only two purchased autopilot and one got it as a novelty on his S ludicrous and the other on his performance 3 that dosnt drive in the winter. both admit it dosnt work up here, both have more money then sense.