Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And here’s why I will never buy from a dealership again...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of weeks ago, I was told there was a Model X for sale at our local, friendly(not!) Mercedes and BMW dealership. Since we were thinking about getting an X then, my wife and I decided to check it out.

The car had about 2.5k miles, multi-pattern seats, Enhanced Autopilot and that’s about it. There may have been the older premium upgrades package, but I’m not sure about that.

Silver was not our color of choice, but we really needed more than five seats, so this was not going to be our car. And then, out of curiosity, I asked the salesperson what they are selling this car for. He told me they had listed it for $83k.

I was surprised at that and told him that Model X + Silver Color + Enhanced Autopilot = $85,500 on Tesla’s website. And then you get $7500 + $500 off on that in NY. And free supercharging and a further $1000 off if you go through a referral. So, that’s effectively 76.5k for a similarly-optioned new car with more options as standard.

That’s when I was told that the car had the “performance package.” My wife asked if that meant it had Ludicrous Mode? And the dealer said “Yep! It has over 500 HP.”

I had to correct them by pointing out that the car was just (sorry) a 75D, so there’s no Ludicrous Mode. The sales guy then got defensive and said that the car does have the “performance package” and he had seen that in the options — implying I do not know anything about Teslas. And that was after he had seen us show up in a Model S.

I had no interest in arguing with a know-it-all, especially when I was not going to buy that car. I politely told him we are not interested in a five-seater and even if I was, this car was clearly way overpriced.

So, I finally ordered a Model X last week and decided to check today if the local dealer’s car had moved. While I expected the price to have dropped a little, I certainly wasn’t expecting them to increase the price to $89k!

It seems that they know what they are doing and I don’t. I just don’t want to be that sucker who ends up buying this car…

tesla-x-75d.png

Most dealerships dont know what they are selling. I was gonna buy a 2017 Model S 100D and the dealer kept saying it had a 145k sticker originally and them selling it at 100k is a bargain for only 500 miles. I had to show him what he was saying didnt make sense.

P.S. no need to black out the dealer info, its easy enough for someone to find that car, especially if its still for sale.

Reactions: inconel
A couple of weeks ago, I was told there was a Model X for sale at our local, friendly(not!) Mercedes and BMW dealership. Since we were thinking about getting an X then, my wife and I decided to check it out.

The car had about 2.5k miles, multi-pattern seats, Enhanced Autopilot and that’s about it. There may have been the older premium upgrades package, but I’m not sure about that.

Silver was not our color of choice, but we really needed more than five seats, so this was not going to be our car. And then, out of curiosity, I asked the salesperson what they are selling this car for. He told me they had listed it for $83k.

I was surprised at that and told him that Model X + Silver Color + Enhanced Autopilot = $85,500 on Tesla’s website. And then you get $7500 + $500 off on that in NY. And free supercharging and a further $1000 off if you go through a referral. So, that’s effectively 76.5k for a similarly-optioned new car with more options as standard.

That’s when I was told that the car had the “performance package.” My wife asked if that meant it had Ludicrous Mode? And the dealer said “Yep! It has over 500 HP.”

I had to correct them by pointing out that the car was just (sorry) a 75D, so there’s no Ludicrous Mode. The sales guy then got defensive and said that the car does have the “performance package” and he had seen that in the options — implying I do not know anything about Teslas. And that was after he had seen us show up in a Model S.

I had no interest in arguing with a know-it-all, especially when I was not going to buy that car. I politely told him we are not interested in a five-seater and even if I was, this car was clearly way overpriced.

So, I finally ordered a Model X last week and decided to check today if the local dealer’s car had moved. While I expected the price to have dropped a little, I certainly wasn’t expecting them to increase the price to $89k!

It seems that they know what they are doing and I don’t. I just don’t want to be that sucker who ends up buying this car…

View attachment 243446

I agree with just about everything except that you probably shouldn't have factored in the $7500 incentive as this is a used car, and it only applies to new Tesla's...

and yes, dealerships are horrific. the salesmen are simply pulled from a pool of people that sell cars, not a specific car, and i often times know more about the cars than the salesmen and some managers. all they have to do is read the reviews and literature produced by their own company to know this stuff too.

crazy stuff...

I agree with just about everything except that you probably shouldn't have factored in the $7500 incentive as this is a used car, and it only applies to new Tesla's...

and yes, dealerships are horrific. the salesmen are simply pulled from a pool of people that sell cars, not a specific car, and i often times know more about the cars than the salesmen and some managers. all they have to do is read the reviews and literature produced by their own company to know this stuff too.

crazy stuff...

His point was that he could pay less for a brand new car after the rebate than they were asking for a used car. Assuming he's eligible for the full rebate, it's entirely reasonable to include it in the new car side of the pricing.

crazy stuff...
i like how i'm getting "disagrees" on this post. :D perhaps they're from car sales people?

After explaining the options on a car to a salesperson (that they should have known, and i've done it many times & includes tesla salespersons) at a local Lexus dealer, they tried to get me to join the team and were saying i could easily pull through the sales ranks to a $80k-$100K+/year paycheck.

i really couldn't be bothered though, i'd have to have additional schooling apparently, and i don't know how i could have a conscience that i could even call somewhat good...