Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And here's what your software developers have been up to...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're not a SW Engineer, you won't understand. But we need 'downtime' that takes us away from doing our 'job' but not away from coding and learning stuff. This is a perfect example of a downtime project. It's cool and the results will go viral on YouTube and satisfy our desire for recognition of our efforts. (We don't need to be personally recognized, just to have the result of our efforts praised with words like 'cool' and 'awesome'.

I don't see why any software developers were even involved - it is simply stop motion from a bunch of still photos - all the effort came from the video editor, setting it to the music. Not even sure its originally from Tesla (although access to the X's I suppose) - this was posted a while ago as being from the Trans Siberian Orchestra (?) who wrote the music a decade ago

The music is TSO's Wizards in Winter which has long been used for Christmas light displays (the most famous of which was done by a gentleman in Fremont) but this is NOT stop-motion stills. This is software driving the individual components of the car.

I don't see why any software developers were even involved - it is simply stop motion from a bunch of still photos - all the effort came from the video editor, setting it to the music. Not even sure its originally from Tesla (although access to the X's I suppose) - this was posted a while ago as being from the Trans Siberian Orchestra (?) who wrote the music a decade ago

It wasn't a stop-motion video. There were other versions that showed it being performed in front of a group of Tesla employees. You could see the camera moving, people moving in front of the camera, people walking behind the cars, hear people talking in the background, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're not a SW Engineer, you won't understand. But we need 'downtime' that takes us away from doing our 'job' but not away from coding and learning stuff. This is a perfect example of a downtime project. It's cool and the results will go viral on YouTube and satisfy our desire for recognition of our efforts. (We don't need to be personally recognized, just to have the result of our efforts praised with words like 'cool' and 'awesome'.
This. On the job programming is demanding, rigorous, and absent much direct gratification. Doing stuff like this is fun and recharges the battery for the next grueling death march.

As a software engineer I think it was a fine use of maybe two peoples time. It got people talking about the X and smiling. Also if you have full and complete access to the car in "factory mode" it can't be that hard to do what they did.

Getting the timing right is another matter but that is also doable. I liked it

Elon already tweeted that it's an Easter Egg in the Model X. I'd say it's a relatively simple thing they did. Probably took a MIDI keyboard and recorded the sequence in time to the music, then tokenized the MIDI data and mapped it to functions in the Body ECU. At least that's how I'd do it! =)

You're joking right? It's video, it was done by Tesla. It's real.

elon-tweet-x-mas.png

They probably did the initial programming as a software QC check during development, and then someone figured out they could put it to music with just a few modifications.

This. On the job programming is demanding, rigorous, and absent much direct gratification. Doing stuff like this is fun and recharges the battery for the next grueling death march.

sounds exactly like visual effects, and why we do crap like turn a shot about a vortex in the sky into the death ray from independence day.
19120778236_a285cb4ce5_o.jpg

i know this is a complete thread jack, but its not really an important thread anyhow.