TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

And here's what your software developers have been up to...

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by green1, Dec 23, 2015.

1. green1

green1 Active Member

2. pvogel

pvogel Member

If you're not a SW Engineer, you won't understand. But we need 'downtime' that takes us away from doing our 'job' but not away from coding and learning stuff. This is a perfect example of a downtime project. It's cool and the results will go viral on YouTube and satisfy our desire for recognition of our efforts. (We don't need to be personally recognized, just to have the result of our efforts praised with words like 'cool' and 'awesome'.

3. PGeer

PGeer Member

I for one thought it was cool and awesome. Showed the same kind of bravado and moxie and joy as the SpaceX landing video. I love the culture Elon seems to encourage. What amazing job opportunities for kids starting off in their careers.

4. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I agree.

5. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Smiled the whole time I watched it. Very Tesla. Good job.

6. pmadflyer

pmadflyer Member

Favorite comment on the video was asking if this could happen at supercharges.

7. RichardL

RichardL Member

I don't see why any software developers were even involved - it is simply stop motion from a bunch of still photos - all the effort came from the video editor, setting it to the music. Not even sure its originally from Tesla (although access to the X's I suppose) - this was posted a while ago as being from the Trans Siberian Orchestra (?) who wrote the music a decade ago

8. pvogel

pvogel Member

The music is TSO's Wizards in Winter which has long been used for Christmas light displays (the most famous of which was done by a gentleman in Fremont) but this is NOT stop-motion stills. This is software driving the individual components of the car.

9. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

#9 MorrisonHiker, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    It wasn't a stop-motion video. There were other versions that showed it being performed in front of a group of Tesla employees. You could see the camera moving, people moving in front of the camera, people walking behind the cars, hear people talking in the background, etc.

10. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

This. On the job programming is demanding, rigorous, and absent much direct gratification. Doing stuff like this is fun and recharges the battery for the next grueling death march.

11. ModelX

ModelX Member

Loved it!

12. mwulff

mwulff Member

As a software engineer I think it was a fine use of maybe two peoples time. It got people talking about the X and smiling. Also if you have full and complete access to the car in "factory mode" it can't be that hard to do what they did.

Getting the timing right is another matter but that is also doable. I liked it

13. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

Elon already tweeted that it's an Easter Egg in the Model X. I'd say it's a relatively simple thing they did. Probably took a MIDI keyboard and recorded the sequence in time to the music, then tokenized the MIDI data and mapped it to functions in the Body ECU. At least that's how I'd do it! =)

14. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

You're joking right? It's video, it was done by Tesla. It's real.

15. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

16. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

They probably did the initial programming as a software QC check during development, and then someone figured out they could put it to music with just a few modifications.

17. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

Or maybe it is a visualizer using the mic as input, which means it works with any music. Lets see when someone finds the key!

18. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

sounds exactly like visual effects, and why we do crap like turn a shot about a vortex in the sky into the death ray from independence day.
    19120778236_a285cb4ce5_o.jpg

i know this is a complete thread jack, but its not really an important thread anyhow.

19. TES-E

TES-E Member

Way cool!!! My whole family is enjoying it!