Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And I thought transporting a set of mounted and balanced tires sucked!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I purchased my 19" Gemini's, and when I sold my 21" Uberturbine's I thought it was a pain in the ass to fit them into the car without scuffing up the headliner... that ain't got nothin on trying to transport 4 loose tires, 4 wheels in their boxes, a set of TPMS sensors, and the center cap / lug nut cover set!

20220603_161544.jpg
20220603_161555.jpg
20220603_161602.jpg
20220603_161612.jpg

Well, I am all loaded up and ready to go to the tire mounting shop in the morning (just received the wheels today). I will post up the final results Saturday after they are mounted up and on the car :)

Keith

PS: New setup weighs 52 lbs each, 21 lbs per wheel 31 lbs per tire.

PPS: The car is parked in my garage, nobody is going to see them and do a smash and grab over night :D

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Here is how they look. I already had the chrome look lug nut covers, so I used them... but I think dark lug nut covers would be better.

20220604_113554.jpg
20220604_113601.jpg

On the Gemini wheels and tires the Speedometer was high by 2 mph (when speedometer reads 80, actually going 78). Now with the slightly oversized set, when the speedometer says 80 I am going 81 to 82 according to GPS... I assume it is actually right on the 81.5 border. People will say "what is the big deal?" but on a 2,000 mile road trip 3 to 4 mph makes a big difference in travel time... and in Texas I will no longer be driving under the speed limit!

Later,

Keith

My 18” tires/wheels from TSportLine arrived yesterday. I bought their package with the 245/50-ZR18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 A/S tires for my ordered PMY. First mod will be to dump the 21” lead weights.

Reactions: Watts_Up
And 16 pounds lighter, and less curbing or broken wheels.
Yup, but there wasn't much concern about broken wheels with the Gemini's... they were still a curb rash risk though.

Going from the Uberturbine’s (curb rash magnets) to the Gemini’s I lost 40 lbs, and moving from the Gemini to this set I lost another 16 lbs, so a total weight loss of 56 lbs. For strait line acceleration and deceleration, rotational mass (wheels, tires, brake rotors) has more impact than static mass (56 lbs of groceries).

Later,

Keith

@Fourdoor Tesla should provide such 18" combination (255/55/R18).

The 21" low profile (255-275/35R21) seems so stretched out and looks scary.

What was the cost for the new set with TPMS, fitting and balancing?

Would it have been possible to get the tires already installed like @TomServo did (245/50/R18) ?

I purchased my wheels during the memorial day sale, so there was a 10% discount and free shipping on my wheel order. I got the TPMS direct from Tesla for $331.50 with tax two months ago, price was $75 each then, it is $95 each now so add $80+ to that price. The wheels from Tsportline are the TS5 18 x 8.5 satin gray for $1,476 with free shipping. These are normally $1,640 plus $200 for shipping, so add $364 to that. And my tires are Continental Contisport Contact 3 max performance summer tires in 255/55/18 that cost me $927.67 with shipping also two months ago... not sure if the price has gone up on those but it wouldn't surprise me. So all told it cost me $2,735 for the physical package and then $137.01 to have the tires mounted, balanced, and mounted on the car, for a grand total of $2,872.18

To do it again today would cost an extra $444.00 if the tire price has not gone up for a total of $3,316.18.

To get this specific wheel and tire package from Tsportline would be a custom order, you would have to talk with them about it.

Keith

PS: Yes, I loosened and re-torqued the lug nuts to the correct specification when I got home before adding the lug nut covers :) I will be adjusting air pressure now that the tires have cooled down and I can get an accurate "cold" inflation pressure.

PPS: Should I stick with the contrasting chrome look lug nut covers, or go with a dark lug nut cover set?

it cost me $2,735 for the physical package $137.01 to have the tires mounted, balanced, and mounted on the car, for a grand total of $2,872.18

To do it again today would cost an extra $444.00 if the tire price has not gone up for a total of $3,316.18.
Seems to be a good deal, Holidays Discount are great. And since you sold the original wheels you must have basically break-even.

Seems to be a good deal, Holidays Discount are great. And since you sold the original wheels you must have basically break-even.
I sold the Uberturbine's for significantly more than I purchased the Gemini's, but Uberturbine's don't sell for nearly what people expect them to. The new set cost more than I sold the Uberturbine's for, and I paid $900 for the Gemin's with low miles (tires and TPMS included). If I get the new job I am looking at, I will never see snow again, so I will end up selling the Gemini's if that happens.

Keith