Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And now the GPS...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are roads that have been well established for at least 4 years and they show up on the NAV, just the NAV doesn't seem to want me to use them.

When you say they show up on the NAV, are you talking the 17" app or the one on the instrument cluster? The 17" shows Google Maps, but the instrument cluster uses Garmin/Navigon maps that are locally stored on the car and updated rarely. When a route is plotted, the Garmin does the primary route and then adjusts for any roadblock, traffic, closures, etc. from feedback from the17". This often means the 17" app will show a road that the instrument cluster doesn't know about and provide wonky instructions.

In Charlotte, 485 for years only covered 3/4 of the loop around the city. Earlier in 2016, they finally finished it to make a full circle. The 17" showed it within days, but the instrument cluster would complain you are driving through fields left and right. The map updates that just came out finally have the missing piece of 485. It could simply be that even after 4 years, your road is not yet in the Garmin/Navigon database that is loaded to your car.

Here is an example of the what the OP is talking about. Nothing to do with routes. GPS got a fix a couple minutes after I took this picture.

IMAG0157.jpg

When you say they show up on the NAV, are you talking the 17" app or the one on the instrument cluster? The 17" shows Google Maps, but the instrument cluster uses Garmin/Navigon maps that are locally stored on the car and updated rarely. When a route is plotted, the Garmin does the primary route and then adjusts for any roadblock, traffic, closures, etc. from feedback from the17". This often means the 17" app will show a road that the instrument cluster doesn't know about and provide wonky instructions.

In Charlotte, 485 for years only covered 3/4 of the loop around the city. Earlier in 2016, they finally finished it to make a full circle. The 17" showed it within days, but the instrument cluster would complain you are driving through fields left and right. The map updates that just came out finally have the missing piece of 485. It could simply be that even after 4 years, your road is not yet in the Garmin/Navigon database that is loaded to your car.

I am not sure what you mean when you say "Instrument Cluster". I set my destination in the NAV app on the center console (17") and it tells me where it wants me to go. When it wants me to turn I get a popup on my dash console telling me to turn. I assume it is getting those instructions from the NAV app though so that tries to direct me 5 miles out of my way.

This only happens when going to or leaving from a 2nd home of ours. Otherwise I am very happy with the NAV. It just has a funny way of getting me into or out of Henderson NV.

I am not sure what you mean when you say "Instrument Cluster". I set my destination in the NAV app on the center console (17") and it tells me where it wants me to go. When it wants me to turn I get a popup on my dash console telling me to turn. I assume it is getting those instructions from the NAV app though so that tries to direct me 5 miles out of my way.

This only happens when going to or leaving from a 2nd home of ours. Otherwise I am very happy with the NAV. It just has a funny way of getting me into or out of Henderson NV.

The directions are NOT handled by Google Maps on the 17" half-screen or full-screen app. Instead, they are handled by the Garmin/Navigon that feeds the display to the left of the "toy car" on the instrument cluster ahead of the steering wheel. In cases where you are going down a shorter path and it keeps yelling at you to turn around (like getting from home to the interstate on your relatively new streets at your 2nd home), look on the Nav in the cluster and see if it shows you on a road. It very well may not show the road (even though you see it on the 17" app version of the route). If so, that is why it keeps trying to turn you around.

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
Real issue there, but I thought the Tesla AP does not use GPS. Mine is a P85+ so I wouldn't know hands on.
AP1.0 shows no sign it uses GPS for speed limits in my area (Denver metro) - it only seems to know the speed limit when it sees a sign. e.g. turn from feeder to state highway - it shows 30 until it sees the 55 sign. Perhaps it is mapped elsewhere, but not here it seems.

All of the other above mentioned solutions may be your answer.... but I had a similar problem caused by interference from my dash cam. The earlier models of this particular model had a non or poorly insulated cable which connected the front and rear cameras. That interference caused my car position to be offset from the road. Once the cable was replaced with an insulated one, the problem went away.

You may not have a dash cam interfering, but maybe some other device might be contributing to the problem.

I too recommend that you take it to your service center and have them look at it.

All of the other above mentioned solutions may be your answer.... but I had a similar problem caused by interference from my dash cam. The earlier models of this particular model had a non or poorly insulated cable which connected the front and rear cameras. That interference caused my car position to be offset from the road. Once the cable was replaced with an insulated one, the problem went away.

You may not have a dash cam interfering, but maybe some other device might be contributing to the problem.

A known issue with older Blackvues with poorly shielded coax cables. Big impact on our EU colleagues with DAB radio interference. Blackvue did produce newer better shielded cables. FWIW, I had installed an old cable, and did not want to fish a new cable, so I got some ferrite cores to clip on around the cable. And that was not the issue with my GPS problems (post #26 above).

Also note that the more sensitive cables (like GPS antenna) in the S go through the left hand/driver's side boot from the C pillar to the lift gate. Anyone installing a cable to the liftgate should route it through the right hand/passenger side boot.

I would chime in that if the car is showing your location incorrectly, that's not likely to be the Nav system or programming, that's your signal or your antenna. Get the antenna checked. Tesla uses a version of Nav that accesses cellular, wifi, GPS, and GLONASS so there is both plenty of opportunity for precise locating and for GIGO. As far as logic, I find the more recent versions far better than those of ~ 1 year ago. I still prefer Waze, as it gives you so much more information than ANY car-based Nav. I think the Tesla Nav is at least as good if not better from my previous cars.