Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And people say solar is expensive....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oddly, I havent seen any other requirements. It only says 25kW for residential or 2MW for commercial. Im sure if you applied for too much for your service, they would require an upgrade in your incoming line. But its not in the documentation I have seen.

Yes. If part of one panel is shaded then the parallel string with no shade would be forced to lower its voltage to match the shaded string causing a drop in output, the output of the entire array is reduced. The ideal arrangement is for each string to be independent which is how the new SMA inverters are designed.

For example; If the array I posted was 2 strings of 8 panels in parallel then the output voltage of the bottom string would drop by ~20v reducing the output of the array another ~60w or so even though there is no shade on the bottom row.

An array in which each string is on an independent tracker is just as shade tolerant as an array with optimizers or micros.
sorry even more dummy question, what is a "string" ? is that a a few panels connected together?

To the OP: I was under the strong impression that for a PV installation to qualify for tax credits, a "licensed" installer was required to plan and execute the installation and in some sense certify the project for credit purposes. I would love for part or all of that to not be true as I am a DYI candidate.

How did you do it for so little and not involve a licensed outsider to sign off for the rebates? Perhaps Utah is much different that California in this way?

To the OP: I was under the strong impression that for a PV installation to qualify for tax credits, a "licensed" installer was required to plan and execute the installation and in some sense certify the project for credit purposes. I would love for part or all of that to not be true as I am a DYI candidate.

How did you do it for so little and not involve a licensed outsider to sign off for the rebates? Perhaps Utah is much different that California in this way?

I was only able to claim the credit on parts, could not claim any of my own labor. Still made for a much cheaper solar setup than having it installed by a company.

Yes I can claim he credit for parts only, That is where I came up the numbers. The power company used to give a rebate also and it stated that it had to be installed by a licensed contractor to get that rebate. So maybe PG&E has that stipulation. but maybe people who have applied for the tax credit already could chime in for you.

Chris

Reactions: FlashDrive
I was only able to claim the credit on parts, could not claim any of my own labor. Still made for a much cheaper solar setup than having it installed by a company.

Yes I can claim he credit for parts only, That is where I came up the numbers. The power company used to give a rebate also and it stated that it had to be installed by a licensed contractor to get that rebate. So maybe PG&E has that stipulation. but maybe people who have applied for the tax credit already could chime in for you.

Chris

Thanks for sharing your experiences gentlemen. So the federal/state credits were based on your bill of materials?

California installers I've talked to won't let me pay them just for the permitting help; they want a cookie cutter install on my brand new roof, voiding the warranty, and they keep suggesting I cut down one of my trees, which my wife vetoed. All of them to date have wanted to sell me on a no-money-down scheme that is way overpriced in the details - costs go on your property taxes spread over a number of years.

I want a ground installation on a part of my land that has great solar south exposure, or a chance to put up a new attached carport and place panels on that. But that needs a permit and engineering to the tune of $2500+, I have been quoted. If, as I have heard, the utility didn't monitor with their smart meter for the slightest negative meter spin, I'd be tempted to gorilla install a few kW with an electrician friend checking the install and using microinverters to prevent islanding. I've been tempted to add a rapidly dispatchable load controller and turn on my pool pump or the HVAC and keep the flow positive but bounded, even if I'm not reaping the full benefit of my solar - just to avoid the regulatory pain and expense. Maybe I can still find a plans-only service I can afford. Anyone in San Diego have a referral?

I know they dont work in California right now, but its worth a call to the company I used. They were very helpful in getting the engineering process going, helping me find the right setup, and (In Utah) delivered the entire setup for free. I have been recommending everybody I talk to about solar to them, and several here have chosen them due to them being THOUSANDS less. Even with them installing.

www.solarwholesale.com

You might want to look for bids from independant installers. My three bids varied widely and I went with the lowest bid who sold the parts to me at his discounted cost and he was happy with just being paid for the labor.