Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And the day was going so well...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Minor update (slow in coming - I know),

Repair shop is very confident that the car is repairable. They have identified the parts list needed for the repair (which he stated is very long). Hopefully we will know the timeframe for getting said parts tomorrow or Friday.

Are you going to file a diminished value claim?

- - - Updated - - -

On the plus side, my insurance company has stated I was totally not at fault :rolleyes:

LMAO

:crying:

26 working days... For those counting, that's like July. Mid-to-Late July. And that assumes parts not being delayed. Since it's the other drivers insurance company paying for this, cost not so important -- but it's an estimated $25K. Parts list is like 4 pages long.

Guys at karosserie have been very friendly -- and have promised to provide pictures as the work progresses. So, I post them as they come.

:crying:

26 working days... For those counting, that's like July. Mid-to-Late July. And that assumes parts not being delayed.

Look at it this way: after that much time driving something else, you will have gotten accustomed to the other car and will no longer be used to your Model S. On that day when when you pick it up (perfectly restored), it will be almost as exciting and new and different as the first time you drove it.

25 Working days... NeverEnough, I will just be excited to have it back.

To help the days go by - maybe I can get some help with something. I plan to file a diminished value claim, as has been mentioned by GDH. Steps seems pretty straightfoward. Identify value before accident, identify value after accident, make claim. Seems simple enough - except what would one base these numbers on? How many accident repaired Tesla cars are out there to base an estimated value on? Even figuring a used Tesla isn't that straight forward given the limited number of these vehicles. I could hire *experts* to do this - but I would want to know what I got back was reasonable. So, what are peoples thoughts.

25 Working days... NeverEnough, I will just be excited to have it back.

To help the days go by - maybe I can get some help with something. I plan to file a diminished value claim, as has been mentioned by GDH. Steps seems pretty straightfoward. Identify value before accident, identify value after accident, make claim. Seems simple enough - except what would one base these numbers on? How many accident repaired Tesla cars are out there to base an estimated value on? Even figuring a used Tesla isn't that straight forward given the limited number of these vehicles. I could hire *experts* to do this - but I would want to know what I got back was reasonable. So, what are peoples thoughts.

I have some experience with this (and while I am licensed in PA I do not know this provision well enough to comment specifically about PA) in Maryland having dealt with multiple companies regarding diminished value as an agent and consumer. Much of it depends in the insurance company you are dealing with. In my experience in Maryland, Allstate was quick to pay and actually sent a second adjuster out to work on the diminished value calculation. They came back with a number and I asked for $500 more and got it. GEICO on the other hand was horrible to deal with (from the insurance company side they usually are but that is another story). They refused to even consider the DV claim and I ended up having to file suit in court. Once I did that they got an attorney to contact me and after six months of back and forth they finally agreed to pay me $2800 DV. This was for a 1994 Porsche 968 with very low mileage and a market value around $20k so I got a little more than 10% for DV. They key for me with the GEICO claim was PROVING that GEICO had paid DV claims in the past. I also provided a bunch of articles about the value of cars with and without prior accident damage. You MUST be persistent and realistic with want you want. With GEICO they originally offered $1000 I asked for $4k (20% of the market value) and ended up at $2800.

A friend of mine who is a car dealer and deals with many trade ins uses this rule of thumb:
- 50% of the cost of the repair is the diminished value. This is if the repair is done properly and is not noticeable. If not done properly then the diminished value can go up to or exceed the cost of the repair.

When I lived in Texas I used this same rule of thumb when getting DV payouts from the insurance company and generally had no issues. Allstate and State Farm were the insurance companies for the other driver who had to pay for the repairs.

One other point to consider: I had a Volvo S70 that T-boned another car when the driver ran a red light. The other driver was at fault. The estimate was for the entire front clip, radiator, and other misc. front parts.
- However, the sun roof had popped out and the trunk lid also didn't fit correctly. Further research revealed that on that car, the entire structure absorbed the energy from the crash, all the way to the rear. The accident had literally "sprung" the entire car. The body shop said they could fix the sunroof and trunk lid to seat properly. I contacted Volvo and they said the entire structural integrity of the car had been compromised. So although it may look ok, in a subsequent collision the car would not perform as well. Since the "bundle of rights" explicit in purchasing a Volvo was the safety aspect, and that was now comprised, the car was worth considerably less. More information on post accident structural integrity is available on the Volvo and MB sites. That may apply to the Tesla's safety also being compromised here.
- The model was just introduced so there were literally no used versions on the market for an undamaged price comparison.

The insurance company, once they saw all this information, scrapped the car.

When getting insurance companies to pay diminished value claims does it matter who was at fault in the accident? I'm assuming that doesn't matter.

It matters. In many states (like mine) the insurance policy specifically states that DV will not be payed under any circumstances. So if I'm at fault I will not get DV from my ins co. However, if the other driver is at fault I can get DV because I have not signed a contract with the other driver's ins co.

@Zwede, can you collect DV if the other driver is insured by the same company you're insured by?

Thanks,
Alan

It matters. In many states (like mine) the insurance policy specifically states that DV will not be payed under any circumstances. So if I'm at fault I will not get DV from my ins co. However, if the other driver is at fault I can get DV because I have not signed a contract with the other driver's ins co.

When I lived in Texas a decade ago I had an accident and we were both insured by State Farm. Other party at fault. State Farm did pay DV to me.

I am not certain what current policy or regulations are now in Texas.
I am now in Hong Kong and there is no DV here to my knowledge.

I have some experience with this (and while I am licensed in PA I do not know this provision well enough to comment specifically about PA) in Maryland having dealt with multiple companies regarding diminished value as an agent and consumer. Much of it depends in the insurance company you are dealing with. In my experience in Maryland, Allstate was quick to pay and actually sent a second adjuster out to work on the diminished value calculation. They came back with a number and I asked for $500 more and got it. GEICO on the other hand was horrible to deal with (from the insurance company side they usually are but that is another story). They refused to even consider the DV claim and I ended up having to file suit in court. Once I did that they got an attorney to contact me and after six months of back and forth they finally agreed to pay me $2800 DV. This was for a 1994 Porsche 968 with very low mileage and a market value around $20k so I got a little more than 10% for DV. They key for me with the GEICO claim was PROVING that GEICO had paid DV claims in the past. I also provided a bunch of articles about the value of cars with and without prior accident damage. You MUST be persistent and realistic with want you want. With GEICO they originally offered $1000 I asked for $4k (20% of the market value) and ended up at $2800.

Thanks,

I appreciate your experience - I maybe asking you more about it abit down the line.

- - - Updated - - -

A friend of mine who is a car dealer and deals with many trade ins uses this rule of thumb:
- 50% of the cost of the repair is the diminished value. This is if the repair is done properly and is not noticeable. If not done properly then the diminished value can go up to or exceed the cost of the repair.

When I lived in Texas I used this same rule of thumb when getting DV payouts from the insurance company and generally had no issues. Allstate and State Farm were the insurance companies for the other driver who had to pay for the repairs.

Thanks -- this gives me a place to start, much appreciated.

Thanks to the guys at Karosserie for the update and pictures!!!
Boxes are the start of all the parts needed for the repair.

Attachments

• IMG_3272.jpg
    IMG_3272.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,003
  • IMG_3271.jpg
    IMG_3271.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,007
  • IMG_3265.jpg
    IMG_3265.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1,051
  • IMG_3264.jpg
    IMG_3264.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,016
  • IMG_3267.jpg
    IMG_3267.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 997
  • IMG_3266.jpg
    IMG_3266.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 997
Last edited:
Yes, I can see the pictures now. Thanks for posting, very interesting to get a peek at the internals. The bumper mount beams are massive! I can see why it held up so well, most other cars would have been totaled. Please keep posting as the work progresses.

Yes, I can see the pictures now. Thanks for posting, very interesting to get a peek at the internals. The bumper mount beams are massive! I can see why it held up so well, most other cars would have been totaled. Please keep posting as the work progresses.

Normally, yes - the double octagonal beams would stop nearly any intrusion. But in this case it looks like the semi hit above them, missing the reinforced bumper entirely. The only thing that stopped further intrusion into the rear compartment was the liftgate metal and C pillars, which, evidently, are pretty strong themselves.