Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And the day was going so well...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updating...

More parts came in. Along with them came a "Packing Slip". The "Packing Slip" list items that are on backorder :confused:. Guys at Karosserie are double checking what they got to figure out what was actually sent. Of course, items mentioned "backordered" gave no indication of how long that would be (is days, weeks, months, years...).

But there is work happening! I have attached photos Jamie passed on of the headliner being removed to access the rear roof panel and a photo of where the lift gate attaches.

IMG_3303.jpg
IMG_3301.jpg
IMG_3302.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And if those weren't enough to test your bandwidth,

here's some Photos of the glass roof panels removed.

IMG_3305.jpg
IMG_3304.jpg
IMG_3306.jpg

So do you know if they got a body repair manual from Tesla Motors?

I had our car in at the Devon ( replaced Norristown I you haven't been there yet. ) service center and I asked the service guys if they saw your car and they said they didn't even know about your accident. I told them some of what you shared here and they were very interested as well as impressed that your car held up that well with the truck going over the frame members.

Just out of curiosity, do you have air suspension and if so were you in low mode when it happened? Might be a good reason to not always ride in low.

Again sorry to hear about your accident... but i wanted to chime in and thank you for posting these pics. Getting glimpses of the car internals is fascinating.

I also love the earlier "Tesla:1, Big Rig:0" comments... priceless!

So I asked Jamie some of the afore mentioned questions... Here's his reply:

The back ordered items I was told should be here next week. I will let you know when and what we see arrive. As far as a Body repair manual, Yes we do. Along with having to send our technicians to the Tesla Factory . For us it was nice since it is in California, as the cars were are used to doing Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati etc.. we have to send our technicians overseas to each of their training facilities. Your Tesla is in good company see attached photos.

IMG_2802.jpg
IMG_3298.jpg

Now back to my car...

some more in process photos with the rear body panel removed.

IMG_3320.jpg
IMG_3313.jpg

Those bumper support pillars are something else!

Not that I have much experience in automotive repair, but I don't think most vehicles have those.

Correct. Most cars are very weak in the rear (there's a bad pun here somewhere). I've seen some cars hit in the rear that looked almost undamaged, just some scuff marks on the bumper. But right above the rear wheels the panels creased. I was shocked when I was told that the crease was an automatic total. The whole rear section of the car collapses in that spot over the wheel as it's the weakest point, and repair is not possible.

The Tesla is a tank in comparison!

Got word from Jamie that my insurance adjuster will be going out next week for more photos to document damage previously unseen... However parts were ordered anticipating this damage.

I had a similar experience here. The body shop supposedly pre-ordered the parts in obvious need of replacement in order to minimize downtime. Needless to say, I was glad to hear it as I've already been without my car for a month.

Update...

Noticed an updated estimate listed USAA's website, so I checked it out (adjuster must have already been out). New estimated total cost of 37K and days for repair moved up to 34 (from 26). Well, not to happy to see this - so I called up Jamie to get the scope. Upward cost was mostly due to correction in labor rates. Schedule is being driven by parts. If parts were to arrive today, it would be 3 weeks before car would be done - I would say 4 since that is how things workout for me :rolleyes:. No new pics, things are kinda slow rolling while they wait...

Update...

Noticed an updated estimate listed USAA's website, so I checked it out (adjuster must have already been out). New estimated total cost of 37K and days for repair moved up to 34 (from 26). Well, not to happy to see this - so I called up Jamie to get the scope. Upward cost was mostly due to correction in labor rates. Schedule is being driven by parts. If parts were to arrive today, it would be 3 weeks before car would be done - I would say 4 since that is how things workout for me :rolleyes:. No new pics, things are kinda slow rolling while they wait...

Just reviewed the thread, that is one helluva accident

New estimated total cost of 37K and days for repair moved up to 34 (from 26). Well, not to happy to see this - so I called up Jamie to get the scope. Upward cost was mostly due to correction in labor rates.

Sounds like a fraudulent shop trying to take advantage by raising rates but keeping it below the "totaled" threshold so they can keep the job and laugh all the way to the bank. This shouldn't be legal and these shops should be shut down.

In many parts of the US body shop rates are $40-$50/hr. I think it's not really a true rate and they make it up by quoting more hours. In comparison, mechanics rates are around $100/hr for independent shops and dealerships are well over $100/hr.

In many parts of the US body shop rates are $40-$50/hr. I think it's not really a true rate and they make it up by quoting more hours. In comparison, mechanics rates are around $100/hr for independent shops and dealerships are well over $100/hr.

lol that's why you never take a car to a dealership. I had a Chevy dealer try to charge me $148 for changing a $9 headlight once. That was the last time I ever brought a car back to a dealership for service. That was back in '98. Always gone to trustworthy local shops ever since.

lol that's why you never take a car to a dealership. I had a Chevy dealer try to charge me $148 for changing a $9 headlight once. That was the last time I ever brought a car back to a dealership for service. That was back in '98. Always gone to trustworthy local shops ever since.
Yep. Once I had a car into a stealership for routine service and the guy called me and this conversation ensued:

Dealer guy: "Your battery is over 5 years old and is showing voltage fluctuations on our tests. We recommend changing it out."

Me: "OK. How much?"

Dealer guy: "$150"

Me: "$150. For a $60 battery that I could change out myself in about 5 minutes."

Dealer guy: "I take it that's a 'no'."