Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And the purpose of blasting a Roadster into Geosynchronous orbit is....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best advertisement possible. I thought the rocket would enclose the vehicle the entire time. To see Starman driving the Roadster in space is a thrill. Adds value to our touchscreen navigation Mars maps.

Be thankful Elon didn't send a Model 3 into space. The waiting reservation holders might not be pleased.

• Funny
Reactions: Colasec
Not to mention how this has sparked the imagination of kids everywhere ... it's amazing.
Yes, I loved it! Watching the livestream, when the first image of the Roadster and Starman came up I laughed out loud even though I knew it was going to be shown. Actually seeing it out in space was hysterical. And brilliant. Fired up the imagination of adventurous souls around the world!

Reactions: nsxpert and bonnie
Totally agree with other posters. IMHO this was a brilliant move that gives SpaceX a lot of goodwill and inspires a lot of young people to consider science and engineering careers. I suspect it worked out even better than Elon imagined.

One further comment: SpaceX needs goodwill because there are a lot of people in Congress and their lobbyists who don't like SpaceX at all. Nowhere near enough pork for them.

Reactions: Nevek and Stewie26
Nowhere near enough pork for them.
Hard to make it out of the gravity well carrying all that pork. Should be an advantage for SpaceX.
36aa3-t3.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: scaesare
APOD for February 10th - Roadster, Starman, Planet Earth

APOD always puts a scaled down image on the page, in this instance 1067x600. If you click on the image you'll be taken to a larger version, which for Starman is 1920x1080. So always click an APOD image first before saving it.

If you like space related photos there's a Calendar link at the bottom of each page that lets you easily browse all the photos they've posted since they started back in 1995.

@SpiceWare do you have anything to do with SpaceWire?

While I do work in the space industry, I'm not involved with that. My last name is Spice and I've been writing software since being introduced to a Commodore PET in 1980, my freshman year in high school. More info in this and later replies in the topic Old farts reminiscing about computers.

I've been using SpiceWare since the 80s for software I've written. Alien Invaders was one of the few games written for 80 column mode of the 128. In spite of what this guy thinks, it's not a AAA release by some large company - it was just a simple experiment I wrote in my bedroom in my college days to get a better understanding of the video chip.
C128-2.png

I released into the public domain and it was well received back in the day.
Info issue 22 page 36.jpeg

MusicTerm was for calling BBSes that ran my BBS software (64-Net or 128-Net, there was also VIC-Net but it predated MusicTerm). The BBS could send music in real time at 300 baud, let you play games with your joystick, and many other advanced features like sprite and character animation.
music term III v1.3.jpg

This is a current example from my latest Atari 2600 homebrew game, which was released in October at PRGE. It's a port of Bosconian, complete with speech which you can hear in this video.
draconian_20171013_RC6.png

Reactions: dpeilow