TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

And what about a supercharger station near Brownsville, Tx?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Atlantis, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

I was viewing the last north america supercharger locations map for 2015 and i was surprised to see that all continental USA will be covered at the end of 2015 except a little part of south Texas.
    I know. There is a few inhabitants there, so few customers for Tesla cars, but as Brownsville city is there, and we know that it is almost certain that SpaceX will establish a private launch center near, i think some Tesla car owners will begin to live there and others (from others texan cities) will want to visit the site in a foresable futur.
    Has anybody have already heard about a possible supercharger in that place?

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

A supercharger there wouldn't help in isolation, it needs to be connected to the major cities. As described in another thread, I think 3 superchargers are needed to connect the I-35 corridor of San Antonio/Austin/Dallas to south Texas- the first is south side of San Antonio (this would also serve the I-10 east-west route), the second is I-37 and US 77 outside of Corpus Christi, and the third is US 77 at Harlingen. This would provide access to South Padre Island, rated as one of the best beaches in the country, and also Brownsville.

I suggested this to the supercharger team last year and received a reply saying that route is "on their radar", whatever than means, but haven't seen or heard anything since. It would help marketing in Texas to have such a route-- the most common question I get about range is "How do you get to the coast?" My answer now is we take our other car.

3. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

Galveston just doesn't cut it, does it? Me neither... ;)

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Galveston is interesting for historic homes, trains, etc. Not as a beach vacation.
    But it does have destination charging available, two Blink charging stations in the Hotel Galvez garage. They're often ICE'd with cars parked by the valets but the valets will move one if needed.

5. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Ok.Thanks to reply.
    My idea was that a significant amount of Tesla owners are spaceX fans to, or at least new technology (space) fans . Then, when launches from Boca Chica will eventually begin, a lot of people from Texas and other neighbour states will be interested to see live launches, and among them Tesla owners. Once these launches will not begin before 2016 (i guess), maybe at that time the supercharger stations you are speaking about will be already there.
    Sorry, I didn't known about South Padre Island beach (i'm not american:confused:), but i'm glad to known that, and yes, it's a very good reason to put these superchargers to.