Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Andersen A2 Charger Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I have an Andersen A2 charger and have the following issues :

- Often the app states the charger isn't properly connected and to redo it (though it still charges ok) - never had this with any other charger. Similar experiences out there?

- If the charger is in scheduled or disabled state (ie not charging) I can't disconnect the charger connector either by the app or car itself (I have to change the charger to actively charging and then press disconnect again. Below are the responses from Tesla. Have others come across this and is this normal?

(there are no obvious issues with the connector that I can see!)

Thanks

1) Furthermore the charge point does not have a lock-in feature of any sort, so the plug needs to be released by the vehicle.

If you have schedules activated, outside of your scheduled hours the unit will essentially be in a disabled state and will not deliver any charge. I'm afriad I am not sure what the exact process of removing the charging plug from your vehicle would be, but your charge point does not have any control over this.

The type 2 plugs we use for our charge point are pretty much standardised as most EV's are using these type 2 plugs, and they are built to the regulations the same as other manufacturers. Unless there is a fault with the plug, I would suspect it is a Tesla peculiarity as a quick google search brings up numerous forum posts with Tesla owners reporting the same issue. Charging cable not fully secured.

Do you have any difficulty inserting or removing the plug from your vehicle? Does it require extra force to fit or is it loose when plugged in?

Is there any blue rust build up in any of the pins inside the plug?

2) I can confirm what you are saying regarding the scheduled state is correct, however not because of anything specific to the scheduled state, as for one this state is identical to the unit being in the disabled state (outside of the scheduled time), and secondly, regardless of what state the charge point is, disconnecting the vehicle should always release the plug.

I had a similar report last week from one of our Tesla customers regarding their plug not being released by their vehicle, and just to make sure I had not missed anything, I discussed the case with our lead engineer, who confirmed that the our Type 2 plugs are build to the exact same specs and British standards as any others currently on the market, and there is simply nothing built into the plug or the chargepoint that could keep it locked into the socket, it has to be released by the vehicle.

This problem seems to be widely reported by Tesla customers as a quick search brings up countless results of forum post of people experiencing the same issue, with different charge points. I would recommend contacting them to see if there is anything they can do regarding this issue, as I can imagine it is quite an irritating inconvenience.

I have the A2 and when plugging in and removing it is very tight, the car often gives an error until you wiggle it slightly and then charges ok.
I have used quite a few type 2 connectors and none have felt as tight to insert or remove.
The only other issue I have with the A2 is the light when you lift up the flap, stopped working so I ask them and said it was due to an update just power off and it sorted it, had to do this 3 times now as the light stops working after a few days.

Upvote 0
I have the A2 and when plugging in and removing it is very tight, the car often gives an error until you wiggle it slightly and then charges ok.
I have used quite a few type 2 connectors and none have felt as tight to insert or remove.
The only other issue I have with the A2 is the light when you lift up the flap, stopped working so I ask them and said it was due to an update just power off and it sorted it, had to do this 3 times now as the light stops working after a few days.
Thanks for your response. To confirm, if you have run a scheduled charge over night and come to disconnect from the car in the morning (not changing the status of the charger - leaving it as 'scheduled' but not charging) does it simply disconnect or do you need to cancel the schedule status?

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response. To confirm, if you have run a scheduled charge over night and come to disconnect from the car in the morning (not changing the status of the charger - leaving it as 'scheduled' but not charging) does it simply disconnect or do you need to cancel the schedule status?
I just unlock charge port on the app and removes ok, I’m having trouble with the light not working now, keep restarting and reset the unit but lasts 2-3 days then off again, they said they might have to replace the unit 😳 Seems a bit extreme for just that but it’s useful when’s working.

Upvote 0
I have the A2 also, but have never experienced any issues with stiffness and sticking it in (pun intended). It is a snug fit for sure, but no different than the Type-2 that came with the car.

As far as I can tell the car locks the charger in place as soon as you plug it in, regardless of what it subsequently decides to do - i.e. start charging or wait until the scheduled charge time. Once plugged in it is locked in place, by design. I'm pretty sure it will do the same thing even if you plugged in your Type-2 cable into it, with nothing plugged in on the other end.

As has been said the charge point has no mechanism to lock a cable into a car, although it could in theory give the car the wrong message about its state and therefore lead the car to not release the cable.

As a rule of thumb the Tesla key fob makes interacting with a non-Tesla charger so much easier. No more having to stand there opening the app to unlock the charge port, or opening the car door to find it on the screen, etc.

Upvote 0
My Andersen unit is a bit unstable the last 2 days, anyone else having issues?

• My charge over night on 15/16th June did not work
  • my Andersen is set to charge with Octopus Go, but when plugged in before/after this schedule, my Tesla continually reports failed charging, it is as if the Andersen starts to charge every hour or so then realises it shouldn't be and stops. I have chain of iPhone messages from the Tesla overnight of this happening.

My Andersen used to have this behaviour 6 months ago, but Andersen did a software update and his been fine for months... but in the last fews days it is back to its bad ways again... perhaps a software update that has removed the previous fix...?

anyone else having problems in last few days?

I've contacted Andersen but no reply yet.

Upvote 0
No issues here. Mine is currently charging.

Do you have any kind of lockout on the times it can be used?
thanks for posting.

I have mine set for 00:30 - 4:30 for octopus Go charing only. I don't set charge schedules in the Tesla itself.

last night seemed to charge okay, with no phantom charges outside of these hours... so maybe a blip... was strange previously though as car was randomly accepting a charge outside of this schedule for short periods.... I will monitor!

Upvote 0