Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Andersen scraps WiFi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My biggest concern with this whole thing isn’t even “could I get it connected with ethernet somehow” but more that this suggests poor engineering / testing standards from Andersen that they have to abandon Wi-Fi in an existing shipping product. o_O

Good input @leewillis77 very interesting.

I ordered my Andersen charger on June 18th. On June 20th I got the email advising that due to supplier quality issue all installs would be delayed. At that point I had no installation date confirmed in any case. On June 26th I was advised that my install would be scheduled for week commencing August 26th. I was then contacted by “Smart HomeCharge”, the company Andersen use for installs, to confirm install date for Aug 28, do a video survey of my home installation and go through the OLEV grant information. All fine. The install date is not an issue for me as I don’t expect to see my Model 3 until early September.

I’d agree with your comment on communication with the Andersen team as being friendly and helpful, I have definitely found them to be responsive and helpful whenever I have called them. However I have had zero communication on the Wi-Fi / Ethernet issue so other than this thread it’s a mystery to me. I won’t be routing Ethernet to the Andersen charger so that won’t work. Don’t even think I have a spare port on my BT router. Anyway, they are going to need to find a way for Wi-Fi to work for this to be a suitable option for me. I plan to call them this afternoon and will share whatever I learn.

An idea would be to use a Powerline Adapter and use your existing electrical wiring as the network.

Examples here: https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/store/homeplug-powerline/

that way you can reduce the length of the network cable required.

Another solution would be to get a similar device that is installed within the unit that has wifi and an ethernet connection - powering the device may need some DIY ability!

Anyone know if the charger has a user-accessible RJ45 connector? Or is the cable hardwired into the unit?

It's on the back of the unit so I doubt it would be accessible after it's been wall-mounted. I'll confirm after my install unless there's anyhere here already has one installed.

Attachments

• IMG_20190715_134446.jpg
    IMG_20190715_134446.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 136
Watch out with powerline adaptors. Like wifi, they can have their own connectivity issues. Again, like wifi, when they work, it works great, when not, can be a PITA.

I say from experience over many years. Some powerline adaptors do not like playing with other powerline adaptors. I have vowed never to have tplink kit in my home if I can help it. Once every couple of months, my network ground to a halt. Removed tplink powerline adaptors, suddenly it started working again for a few months. Devolo, at least since 11Mbs powerline has been rock solid and so has a Chinese unit built into a mains socket - once I understood the Chinglish instructions. But don't use Devolo for wifi access points as they filter out some network protocols over wifi and its not user configurable. Ironically, tplink filter same protocols for some of their switches. Other manufacturers may do similar, but you can often work around, like adding a switch or a different brand wireless access point. For anyone interested, its multicast. Not many things rely on this, so people often don't notice, until it comes to bite you. Often used in device discovery.

Second point, is that the powerline can be attenuated by poor wiring and some wiring topologies. As a sparky will be fitting this, you hope that they are aware. But basically powerline may be disrupted passing through an rcd (or rcbo). So if powerlines are split between different sides of the consumer unit/fuse box, or worse, between consumer units, you may need to find a different socket to put one in. If you can avoid this, powerline is pretty robust these days. My Solar PV inverter in my garage is powerline connected. I don't think I have ever needed to restart Powerlink its connected to.

ymmvg

Devils advocate: Or they have found that the majority of installs have had lousy WiFi?
This is definitely their argument. I would argue that in that scenario they should heavily push Ethernet as their recommended option, and help users with that during installs. I think to completely remove Wi-Fi from the spec sheet and leave it entirely unsupported as an option for users where it would be appropriate suggests to me they have underlying problems with their Wi-Fi implementation that they can’t or don’t want to address.

There’s no way to know for sure from the outside, but that’s definitely my read on it.

This is definitely their argument. I would argue that in that scenario they should heavily push Ethernet as their recommended option, and help users with that during installs. I think to completely remove Wi-Fi from the spec sheet and leave it entirely unsupported as an option for users where it would be appropriate suggests to me they have underlying problems with their Wi-Fi implementation that they can’t or don’t want to address.

There’s no way to know for sure from the outside, but that’s definitely my read on it.

My read is similar. I suspect that a lot of users just use their standard Wi-Fi on their free router from their ISP and don't realise that you get exactly what you pay for, especially on a piece of equipment doing connectivity, NAT & DNS Proxy (thanks VM) and WiFi for around £30-40 item cost.

I've now replaced my Powerlines, and removed most of the functions from the provided VM router, with a Uni-Fi WLAN & Router setup secured with a Palo Alto Networks Firewall. I've got a strong Wi-Fi in the area for the install, and part of the appeal of the A2 was the "no wires" Wi-Fi setup.

Also one thing to keep in mind, ideally our Tesla's could do with decent WiFi to help with the software upgrades.

(Also I really don't like Powerline adaptors, they seem to max out for me on the wiring in this house. We all use 5GHz WiFi now)

Andersen did email me a couple of weeks ago with the following:

“We are emailing you to inform you about the ethernet connectivity of our chargers. On the day of your install, your charger can be wired directly to your router by our engineers using an ethernet cable. This provides an uninterrupted connection to your app and a reliable connection for the life of your charger. All our engineers carry home plugs and the necessary equipment to do this (at no extra cost) and we believe this will give you the best connectivity and overall long-term experience.

The alternative is to choose to connect your charger via your home wi-fi. We believe that this often gives you an interrupted service connection when using your app (both on mobile and desktop). Disconnections are actually the number one issue that annoys our customers. Disconnections arise because your charger will struggle to connect to the cloud because of weak and unstable signal strength. Your charge point will disappear from your app and you won’t have access to your desktop console. These issues are compounded due to distance, weather and interference and even simple things like changing your router settings.

If you wish to connect using wi-fi then we cannot offer this ability on the day of your install, an engineer will need to revisit you in a few weeks to enable this feature.”

Can’t say I’m pleased at all as don’t have any free ethernet ports so looking forward to how they think they can wire it to my router. Silly thing is I have a mesh wireless network which gives a strong signal where the charger will be (and Tesla too). When I get chance I’ll try and speak to Andersen to find out what they suggest but it does look very much like they want to go down the wired route, so might be time to cancel my order and go for something else, though no idea what.

I had my Anderson A2 installed a fortnight ago. I received an email a few days prior checking it will be OK for it to be connected via Ethernet. It’s all taken care of by the installer using power line adaptors that they provided.

I was very pleased with the installation job. They ran a cable inside the garage from the nearest power socket to the charging point. All very neat and tidy!

I have just had the charger show as offline in the app after a short powercut, but the lights on the charger itself are showing it would still provide a charge if needed. I’m going to reset the unit and that’ll hopefully fix the problem - if not I’ll get in touch with their support who so far have been excellent in the lead up to getting the unit installed.

Just need a car now!

Ick powerline. I'd tell them if they're going to insist on ethernet they can do it properly not half ass it.. You''ll get better connection with a good wifi connection than powerline, and you won't turn your house into an RFI noise generator.

Indeed. I’ve not used powerlines (used Devolo previously, very good actually) for a year since upgrading my internet to BT infinity fibre to the home. Very decent Wi-fi speed everywhere in the house and garden. The Andersen charger will be 6 feet from the front door so well within decent Wi-fi signal range. Getting a powerline adapter or Ethernet cable to it will require drilling through the wall. I also find the powerline adaptors run really hot when on constantly so I’m not entirely happy with that proposed solution.

I emailed them about this yesterday and got this response:

Thank you for your interest in our brand.
Our wifi feature is still present, we choose not to advertise it as we usually prefer people to be hard wired.
So every Andersen EV unit has a wifi feature integrated and you will be able to connect to your wifi.​

• Informative
Reactions: Baldrick and dst87
I emailed them about this yesterday and got this response:

Thank you for your interest in our brand.
Our wifi feature is still present, we choose not to advertise it as we usually prefer people to be hard wired.
So every Andersen EV unit has a wifi feature integrated and you will be able to connect to your wifi.​

Thanks for posting. That works for me. I’ve had no comms from them to suggest any change to my install so will try to get it WiFi enabled rather than Ethernet,

My biggest concern with this whole thing isn’t even “could I get it connected with ethernet somehow” but more that this suggests poor engineering / testing standards from Andersen that they have to abandon Wi-Fi in an existing shipping product. o_O

In my nearly 20 years dealing with Wifi, I have come across seemingly endless instances of product design where the wireless connection is the last thing on the list (or an afterthought) that is usually costed down to be the cheapest it can possibly be. Cheap, untested chipsets with a halfassed driver and antenna implementation usually makes for misery. By the nature of the product, I would expect Anderson to be an expert on power electronics, I am unsurprised that their network implementation is not so good... I rarely come across non-computer vendors at that do a good job...

If you talk to any wireless guy worth his salt, he will tell you that if it has a wired ethernet port, then stick a wire in it. Save your wireless (which is a precious resource) for the devices that need to be wireless.

If you’re able, would you let us know how your installation goes on Friday?

As promised, here's a quick update on my installation, bullet points as I'm a bit short of time today. If you've any specific questions - let me know and I'll expand when I get chance:

1. My original install went ahead on the 15th
2. Installer did install Ethernet to my access point (which I'm happy with as a backup)
3. However, Andersen had some issues getting my unit up and running on the day
4. Given those issues, and the fact I don't have my Tesla yet, I didn't really use the unit while the installer was on site
5. I had a quick play unwinding / winding *after* the installer left and found the unit a bit awkward to use as it had been installed quite high up [It's a top-opening unit, I'm 5' 11" and the top opening was above my shoulder height]
6. Since I had to email Andersen about the connectivity issues anyway I mentioned the height to them and they agreed it should be lower and agreed to get someone back on site to lower it (without any arguments or hassle)
7. The installation engineer has been back on site today and re-located the unit so it's much more usable
8. Connectivity is also now resolved so the unit is fully up and running, connected over Ethernet, but also connected to my WiFi network

I still don't have my car (and at this rate might not have it by the time the 4-month OLEV grant period expires - fn, fun, fun - thanks Tesla!) so can't comment on the actual charging. However, despite the to-and-fro above, I'm definitely still happy with my choice of Andersen. The unit looks great and the app easy to use.

The current A2 appears to be a new revision and they've obviously had a couple of teething issues with it and/or the app which now seem to have settled down. They also seem to be in the process of switching over to 3rd party installers from in-house and again I think that has had some teething issues as well.

That said though, I'd still recommend Andersen - they've been a pleasure to deal with despite the niggles.

As promised, here's a quick update on my installation, bullet points as I'm a bit short of time today.

Very interesting information, thank you! We decided to stick with Andersen and have been happy with communication so far.

Our installation is being done through a third party (SmartHomeCharge) and communication with their team has also been excellent. It sounds like your installation was done in-house, so interesting to see they've changed the approach.

I also noticed that WiFi is back on the website, so I imagine they've had a few concerned / angry emails about the apparent removal!

We have an installation date of October 23rd, a couple of months after we're due to take delivery of the car. That should be interesting... thankfully we work from home and don't need to use the car extensively (though we'll _want_ to when it first arrives) so a standard UK socket will have to do for now, combined with the free Scottish chargers (and my father-in-law's 7kW charger - he can expect more regular visits for a couple of months!)

Reactions: Roy W.