Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Andersen scraps WiFi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just digging this up. I've ordered an Andersen A2 and I'm toying with the idea of splicing into one of my CCTV cameras with a Ubiquiti wireless extender, because my wireless coverage outside of the house is pretty shocking and I'll need (?) decent wireless for OTA updates when I get a Model 3.

if I do this I won't be able to run an Ethernet cable to the back of wherever the A2 is going to be (and it was going to be a bit of a ballache to do that anyway), but I would hope that with pretty much ideal wireless signal strength I wouldn't need it?

Can anyone confirm that wireless (when its a good signal) is sufficient to run the A2?

Just digging this up. I've ordered an Andersen A2 and I'm toying with the idea of splicing into one of my CCTV cameras with a Ubiquiti wireless extender, because my wireless coverage outside of the house is pretty shocking and I'll need (?) decent wireless for OTA updates when I get a Model 3.

if I do this I won't be able to run an Ethernet cable to the back of wherever the A2 is going to be (and it was going to be a bit of a ballache to do that anyway), but I would hope that with pretty much ideal wireless signal strength I wouldn't need it?

Can anyone confirm that wireless (when its a good signal) is sufficient to run the A2?

My Andersen A2 was installed recently and is running on a wifi connection. The installer asked me to show him the wifi connection on my mobile at the location the Andersen was being installed and said it would be fine based on signal strength. So far it seems to be in that I can always see A2 status on the app so it must be connecting to the network. No idea if it can charge my Model 3 yet as the car is still somewhere en route, but the wifi connection to the A2 seems fine :)

So - if you have ideal wireless signal strength you should not need an ethernet connection.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
The charger we were pretty set on buying, the Andersen A2 Tethered, has suddenly become much less appealing.
I've been following the Andersen stuff for a while now. Despite a life in tech, I hate it when tech LOOKS like tech. The Andersen was by far the best looking home charging option to compliment the front of a house rather than turning it into the equivalent of the bargain bins at Currys. The only one that came close, albeit in a more tech style, was the non-OLEV Tesla.

But after some investigation I concluded that a few sexy Apple-style videos weren't telling me much more than it was built by technical people with magical hands and was the Bang and Olufson of home power. I've seen little since to sway me otherwise. Don't want to be too stubborn on that and will gladly be corrected as I have no charger at all at the moment. But that is a conclusion I've yet to have debunked.

Whilst discussing this over a pint and sharing some pics, a pal who builds furniture reckons he could make the most unsexy home charger (the Rolec one with the green bits?..... OMG!) look sexy with a custom cover, even made from recycled pallets, open venting and some minor metalwork. In effect, a front facing, open-sided panel, nicely sanded and finished to compliment the house and hide the monstrosity within. Some openings to see any status stuff if needed. My concern about hiding a tethered cable if there's metalwork to have the cover stand proud was countered with 'I'll build another custom panel you wrap the cable behind that goes alongside or above it. And all for a fraction of the price'. Sounds interesting!

I'm having a ROLEC installed at the same time as my solar PV next week, hopefully in black or something that doesn't look like a chav's training shoe. I have a convenient recess at the far side of the covered area of the house front where it'll be tucked away and I may take him up on this if it begins to look like I've had a defibrillator fitted.

All that said, I hope it comes together for you. A beautiful visual design that sounds like it's being let down by only a single, but sadly, rather crucial element of the tech spec.

Last edited:
Andersen A2 owners - do you miss the "luxury" of being able to open the charge port cover via a button on the charge handle which you can do with a Tesla Home Connector (THC) ?

Just wondering that's all...

I asked Anderson about this. Not now, but not out of the question. I think it would increase Anderson sales. Give them a shout, the more requests they get the more they may consider it.

Andersen A2 owners - do you miss the "luxury" of being able to open the charge port cover via a button on the charge handle which you can do with a Tesla Home Connector (THC) ?

Just wondering that's all...

No. Never had the Tesla charger so don’t miss what I never had.

And, to be honest, the extra step of using the mobile app or the screen in the car to open the charge port is hardly time consuming. I usually do it on my way out of the house to plug the car in.

The tidy design and ease of unrolling and returning the cable of the Andersen is, for me, of more practical use.

Reactions: Durzel
I've been following the Andersen stuff for a while now. Despite a life in tech, I hate it when tech LOOKS like tech. The Andersen was by far the best looking home charging option to compliment the front of a house rather than turning it into the equivalent of the bargain bins at Currys. The only one that came close, albeit in a more tech style, was the non-OLEV Tesla.

But after some investigation I concluded that a few sexy Apple-style videos weren't telling me much more than it was built by technical people with magical hands and was the Bang and Olufson of home power. I've seen little since to sway me otherwise. Don't want to be too stubborn on that and will gladly be corrected as I have no charger at all at the moment. But that is a conclusion I've yet to have debunked.

Whilst discussing this over a pint and sharing some pics, a pal who builds furniture reckons he could make the most unsexy home charger (the Rolec one with the green bits?..... OMG!) look sexy with a custom cover, even made from recycled pallets, open venting and some minor metalwork. In effect, a front facing, open-sided panel, nicely sanded and finished to compliment the house and hide the monstrosity within. Some openings to see any status stuff if needed. My concern about hiding a tethered cable if there's metalwork to have the cover stand proud was countered with 'I'll build another custom panel you wrap the cable behind that goes alongside or above it. And all for a fraction of the price'. Sounds interesting!

I'm having a ROLEC installed at the same time as my solar PV next week, hopefully in black or something that doesn't look like a chav's training shoe. I have a convenient recess at the far side of the covered area of the house front where it'll be tucked away and I may take him up on this if it begins to look like I've had a defibrillator fitted.

All that said, I hope it comes together for you. A beautiful visual design that sounds like it's being let down by only a single, but sadly, rather crucial element of the tech spec.
Sorry for me the JuiceBox is the most visually challenging EVSE charger. It looks like someone done in a tech and design project in school. It's got a great feature set though. I thought the same thing, get a JuiceBox and a smart enclosure. Ended up with an Andersen as I couldn't find the latter.
juicebox-32-eu-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jimbo_hippo